Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
BIG SKY - ONE BIG AT-A-BOY for Keystone

First let me say, I've had several RV's over the last 28 yrs. I,ve worked for the #1 RV dealership in WV for just about that long (24 part time, full time the last 4, after retiring from Verizon ). I've seen good units & bad units from manufacturers. My last three units, 2004 3670 Montana, 2006 Bighorn, and NOW, a 2008 340RLQ Big Sky. I personally picked up my unit at the Big Sky plant. It was built Tuesday, and I picked it up around 5PM. I looked at my unit just after it came off-line. Pleasantly surprised !!! The unit was PRISTINE, INSIDE & OUT !!! Leaving Elkhart, towing back to WV was a real pleasure. Equipped with the Mor/Ryde suspension and hitch pin, this is one of the best towing rigs I have pulled. Over the last two days, I PDI'ed the unit; 99.9% perfect !. Being in the business for a number of years, I am rather critical about product quality. This is by far one of the best products I have seen. Hats off and KUDOS to Mike Spencer and his Team, three units a day off line, the quality really shows. I only had three minor problems. I see units PDI'ed everyday, and none have had this level of quality. My first trip will be to Myrtle Beach next Friday for 10 days, SUN, FUN, & MARGARITAS. If I have any developing problems, I will pass them on. One thing I haven't figured out yet, How do I put my party lights on that new electric awning?? Maybe after a few Margarita's ----

Kerry

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Kerry,

Congrats on the Big Sky 340RLQ, Great looking rig. Hope it treats you well for years to come.
My DW has fallen in love with that unit. But she'll have to stick with our 2980 for a few years to come.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Kerry,

Congrats on your new Big Sky. I am happy to hear that your coach was built near perfect. I wish a few of our other members had the same experience with their new Big Sky. Safe travels next week as you head out!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Kerry,

Congrats on your new Big Sky. I am happy to hear that your coach was built near perfect. I wish a few of our other members had the same experience with their new Big Sky. Safe travels next week as you head out!
I think more than a few others have had the same great experience Kerry has had. To my knowledge there has only been one unit so far that had a lot of problems. If you can go by the members reports here the Big Sky is proving to be a well made and popular unit. Ours has been a job well done in every respect.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Folks may recall that after touring the Big Sky Plant we were also very impressed with the quality of the Big Sky. a report from Kerry above , a person , because of his backround and experience in the world of Rv's weighs heavily.However if we review the posts on THIS forum from new Big Sky owners we note the feeedback is little different than any other Montana.IMO )(remember a opinion has no bases in fact) the verdict is still out.We know Mike Spencer reads the feed back comments perhaps they have stepped up the quality inspections.They have not built and delivered enough Big Skys for a proper evaluation.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Kerry:

Congratulations on your new Big Sky--and glad to hear about the successful results of your PDI. Our PDI showed good results as well--just sorry to hear that Traveltunes had problems with his. We've had some small problems since then--nothing unexpected.

Not that it is a big thing, but I noticed on a recent thread about complaints about a "hammer" noise associated with the toilets in even newer model Montanas. Someone reported that the problem in part was that there were no fasteners holding the water lines going thru the basement up to the toilet and vanity. Went out to check my water lines and found fasteners in the basement area close to where the water line splits off to the toilet--which may explain why I don't get that hammering noise when using the toilet. Don't know if that is a recent change that is also present in the whole Montana fleet now coming off the line or if that is a little extra they only do with the Big Sky units. Hope it is the former--no reason anyone should have to put up with the hammering when it's so easy for Keystone to prevent it.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Kerry, enjor your new Big Sky, I know I would!
As far as your quality, I think that is great. It's too bad that it seems you only hear from the dissatisfied instead of from the more satisfied as is your case and MINE also!
KUDOs to Keystone and their team.
By the way, good luck with the lights on the awning, even if you can't figure out how to use them, the margaritas will always help!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum Kerry! And congratulations on that new Big Sky!

Just use those little metal clips from CW to clip your lights onto the awning ruffle, then get that blender started!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
After getting an email from the guy that had problems with his Big Sky, I will keep my mouth( finger) shut from now on and not voice my opinion, I guess he didn't like happy posts. My opologies to him. By the way, I never read his post and I will not!
I'm sorry if this person took it personal, but you know, we just don't always read every topic on this forum. There was no malice directed toward them.
I was only expressing how happy I was to hear a good story about Keystone. If I had posted a reply on his topic, I could understand his position, but this was a different topic all together and like I said, I never read his topic.
Nuff said, I will go quiet now!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Emmel, don't go away. You made a good post and it's too bad you were made to feel bad about it. Just hang in there.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Kerry - Welcome to the forum. We are glad that you have had such a great beginning. With your background in RVing, we look forward to reading your opinions. We, too, are happy with our choice of Montana. This is our second Montana and we would not have gotten a second if we were not very happy with our first experience. We have had some minor problems but Keystone has stepped right up and taken care of them. Emmel, keep your mouth (finger) giving your opinions. We also enjoy hearing (reading) you. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
That's great news, Kerry. I hope ours will have the same quality as yours.
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:34 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope it continues that way.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 AM   #14
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
It is always good to hear good news with new owners. We have had our 3400RL since April and have found small things that were immediately corrected. Overall our unit was well built and the DW and I are really enjoying it. Kerry enjoy your trip to Myrtle beach. Take plenty os sunscreen.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Not that it is a big thing, but I noticed on a recent thread about complaints about a "hammer" noise associated with the toilets in even newer model Montanas. Someone reported that the problem in part was that there were no fasteners holding the water lines going thru the basement up to the toilet and vanity.
Our Montana hammers when you flush the toiler, (much to Donna's annoyance). I talked to Sealand Customer Service, and was told that the toilet is designed to operate at 40 psi. This is lower than most campground water supplies and even most regulators are pre-set for 45 psi. I fashioned an adjustable regulator with a gauge and find that at 40 psi, the hammering is much reduced or eliminated. What I would like to do is put a dedicated regulator on the line to toilet only. I am pretty sure that it is the Sealand valve that causes the hammer, although loose pipes may make it worse.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #16
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Welcome kerry,
We also bought our 5th wheel in WV. By the way who is the #1 Dealer in WV? We bought ours at Burdette.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
That's where you bought yours, that's where I work, Kerry
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Well, we have been at Ocean Lakes Campground since the 15th, and no problems to report, except for a 2hr delay sitting on the Interstate for a bad accident. I have found a few things that I think need changed. The shower head doesn't have a shut off at the head. The light in the toilet room needs to have its own switch, right now when you turn on the light, a light comes on in the bedroom area at the same time; not good in the middle of the night. One suggestion I would make to anyone buying a Big Sky, opt for the fan in the vent between the shower and the toilet room, also a wall switch for the exhaust fan in the toilet room would be nice. The better half would like to have a little more space under the bed, at least deep enough to put shoe boxes there like in the last 5W. All said and done, so far nothing major to complain about. So far, everybody who has seen the Big Sky has really liked it, inside and out. Kerry
Old 06-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kerry,

The switch arrangment was one of the first things I changed on our 3400 (same floor plan). I added two switches in the bathroom; one for the light; and one for the fan. The hall light in the bedroom is all that comes on with the original switch now.

It was actually pretty easy to do.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:35 AM   #20
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
How-a-bout a how-you-did-it to save me and others a little time to Get-er-Done. Thanks, Kerry