Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Great Big Sky experiences

What a great "weekend" we had. This past Thursday, we went to Goshen to see the Big Sky Plant. Due to a problem with our mapping program and timing we actually missed the formal tour. However, the folks at Keystone were fantastic. We called ahead to tell them we would be about 15 minutes late, then after a return call from Darrell in the service dept, realized that where our map program had us going was incorrect and we were going to be closer to 30-45 minutes late. Darrell said, come anyway and they would work something out. When we got there, Darrell called someone to come get us and take us over to the Big Sky Plant. The East Coast Sales Rep (Mark somebody, didn't catch his last name) came and got us. When we got to the Big Sky plant (after a great sight seeing explaination of all the Keystone buildings we were seeing) he asked if somebody was supposed to be meeting us, we explained the situation and jokingly told him "he got the hot potatoes". He laughed, made a phone call and told us he was at our disposal and took us inside, turned on all the lights, and explained how it all worked. They were working on the 360's last week. Actually this turned out better for us, because what we REALLY wanted to do was poke around in a 360 and take some measurements, etc. (which we probably wouldn't have been able to do, if the workers had been there working). Mark said, "knock yourselves out, and take your time". He answered any questions we had etc. We were trying to determine whether the 360 or 340 would work better for our needs. The desk on the 360 was fantastic, much larger and deeper than the 340 and the entertainment center top cabinet was much larger, and the TV pull out, rotating shelf was much better (pulled out farther and rotated farther, and so could be seen from any position). However, when moving the 2 recliners to the slide by the kitchen, they also moved the "big picture window". Since the slide is shorter, in height, than the back end of the rig, by moving that window, it knocked out the set of 6 wall cabinets above the recliners/window. After lots of measuring, comparing, and discussion, we decided the loss of 6 cabinets (as well as the ones above the table from the 3400 to the 340) was just too much lost storage space for our needs. So our trip served the purpose of helping us make a decision between the 340 and the 360.

So, we spent the night in Elkhart and headed south on Friday to visit Walnut Ridge RV in New Castle, IN. On the advice of MOC members and our own inclination, earlier this month we requested closed bids on a Big Sky with the options we had chosen. Of the 5 bids requested, one dealer in MO declined to participate, one was good, one was nowhere near the ballpark (and they really didn't want to do it our way, they wanted us to get the lowest price and come talk to them so they could try to "beat" that price. We politely explained that closed bids don't work that way, etc.). 3 minutes later they called back with a lower bid, but still weren't in the ballpark of what we were willing to spend. The fourth dealer didn't get the bid to us in a timely manner, and so missed out. The Fifth dealer, Walnut Ridge RV, gave us a great out the door bid on a new, ordered 2008 Big Sky. We ordered the 340 Big Sky 340 RLQ, with the 3 "Mandatory option packages", 18" Metal slide Tray, Hi-Back Desk Chair, 2nd Fantastic Fan at Shower/hallway, Generator Prep and 5.5kw Onan LP Generator, RVIA Seal, and 4 slide awnings. Plus Dealer Installed Options: 25K Air Safe Hitch with Rails, 13.5 K btu Low Profile A/C with Heat strip for bedroom, 1 Fan Mate 800 (Maxx-Air) for kitchen fan, and 50 Amp Surge Protector. We were told it could be here anytime from 2 weeks to 8 weeks. Our price was in the range of 35% below MSRP, overall and was lower than we had anticipated, so we were very pleased. Walnut Ridge was a fantastic place to work with and they gave us a tour of the facility, including their service area where an employee was doing a PDI. I asked what their PDI consisted of and he showed me the form they use. . . VERY TINY PRINT, at least 100 (possibly 200), items and he said on the Big Sky, Mobile Suites, etc. they usually do a 6-8 hour PDI before the customer even gets there. They also offer 2 nights free stay at their campground so you can experience and check out your rig and they are right there to answer any questions you might have.

So, we now have our Tow Vehicle, and are finally waiting for our first Fifth Wheel. We are excited and a little overwhelmed and after working towards this for about 5 years, can't quite believe we've finally done it. Thank you to all you great MOC members for your assistance, encouragement, and information. I'm sure we'll still have plenty of questions, but at least we're finally getting it all started. Thanks, again, Sue and Verle C

Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Congratulations on your new Big Sky. What a nice experience you have had both with the factory and the dealer. That experience should make you feel good about your decision to purchase the Big Sky. Enjoy and we hope to meet you at a rally someday.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Good for you guys, glad to see another Big Sky order from a MOC member. We also received a final price in the area of 30 to 35% off MSRP. We also received prices close to MSRP. Some dealers are willing to work with you and some want full price. All you can do is go at it the way you did. Or just go out and tell the dealer what you are willing to pay but you need to be able to walk if they balk at what you want to pay.

Hope to see you on the road soon.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congrats on ordering your new coach! The new Big Sky is a beautiful coach and I'm glad your factory tour worked out to answer all your questions. We'll look forward to the delivery and maiden voyage reports.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The person who gave you the Big Sky Tour would be Mark Krol, District Sales Rep and one of our very favorite Keystone folks. The factory tour is really helpful in making a purchase decision. Digging in there and understanding the product before you purchse is the way to go.Good luck and good work.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Did you get the neo-angle shower or the garden tub. From what I've read, the GS is a little bigger. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Congratulations and Well Done!!Enjoy the new coach.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
SueC2, congratulations on your new purchase.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and that was great you were able to have such a good tour. That was really great when they said take your time.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

Did you get the neo-angle shower or the garden tub. From what I've read, the GS is a little bigger. Kerry
We went ahead with the shower. The one tub we saw, although the entire enclosure might have been a little bigger (not really visible to the eye), seemed like the foot space was less and more of a step to get over/into/out of. Definitely not big enough for ME to take a BATH in, LOL. Sue C
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Congratulations Sue. Glad you made a decision and were able to tour the plant. I thought the 360 was darker inside than the 340 and it must have been because of the smaller window above he recliners. I could not compare them side by side like you did.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Sue--

Congratulations on your purchase of a Big Sky. I'm confident you will not be disappointed and that all your research and hard work will have paid off for you big time. And glad you got the factory tour as well--I really liked being able to see under the floor and behind the walls when we did our tour of the Big Sky plant in March.

Now all we have to do is get comfortable hauling 23,000# of rig and truck down the road!!! And BACKING UP!!!!! LOL!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
ppreis

M.O.C. #7132
We just took delivery on our Big Sky 340 two weeks ago. It is the first one to hit North Florida. We took it on its maiden voyage for 5 days in a local Jacksonville campground. She performed beautifully. Minor problem with range vent. Our dealer, Sun Coast RV is going to replace it and actually come to us for the repair. We bought it at RV show for about 25% below MSRP. We love it. We have all packages available plus Onan Genny and Splendide Ariston washer and Dryer. Our Tow vehicle is a 2007 Chevy 3500 Dually. She pulls like a dream. We're heading Nortwest June 1. We don't know when we're comming back, if ever, to Jacksonville. Hopefully we'll make it to Alaska this year.
See Ya on the Road,
Perry, Edie and Alex the cat.
ppreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Perry and Edie--and Alex:

Welcome to the MOC forum--I see this is your first post. And welcome to the Big Sky family. We also took delivery of our Big Sky two weeks ago, but I suspect we had to wait longer for ours because we ordered it from the factory back in January. Our serial number (the last three digits in the VIN) is 103--what number rig did you get?

Jo-Anna and I are looking forward to heading up to Alaska next summer. If you make it there this summer, we'd love to hear about your adventures. Good luck and go enjoy that Big Sky.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Hi Perry, Edie and Alex the cat, welcome to the MOC forum. This is a great place to chat and ask questions and almost always get a ton of answers or ideas. Congratulations on your 340, we hope you get lots of enjoyment from it. Is this your first fifth wheel or are you "old hands"? Do you full-time or destination camp? So far we have to limit ourselves to destination camping, as DH, Verle is still working. I'm a polymer clay artist (and for the past 4 years have been full-time caregiver for my 5 grandchildren). As of May 21 we will be empty nesters, for the final time, I hope, so we can take more time for RVing. Glad you dropped in to join us. Sue C
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Big Sky is one of the finest campers I have seen, in the price range, for a long time. We toured the factory a couple of weeks ago was were greatly impressed. If we did not have a 06 3400 now we would have the Big Sky.. Happy camping..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote