Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
Montana_4560
Established Member

M.O.C. #4560
RV Tech "on site"!

Greetings all you Lovers of the Land, State Park Safarians, Weekend Wanderers, and my favorites-- those who live by the rule--"If you don't like the neighbors, move across the lot!"! I am Wingnut of Cleburne Texas' Fun Time RV Center. I haven't been there long, just under 3 months I believe (when doing something you enjoy, days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, you get the picture....) but I have quite a lengthy history working with RV's. It started when I was seven or eight years old, I was staying at a cousins house where they owned a decent-sized fifth wheel. I was playing with a younger cousin, running around the trailer, nailed my head on the hitch, got my hair stuck in the grimy grease really good (something else caught it too 'cause my aunt had to hack a good lock off with sissors), and I've been foolin'around with them ever since. I got in trouble for playing close to the hitch so I had to clean out the grease and hair off the hitch, and relube it. Since then, I've not only worked on Montanas, but Sydney Outbacks, Raptors (I like them too!), Travel Supremes, you name it. All the way down to the "cost effective" Cody, the Rugged 1976 Winnebago with busted shock mounts, and furnace full of mud daubber nests (boy, is THAT a pain.....)... I've just about seen it all. Last week, in fact, a travel trailer came in with a "noisy waterpump" problem. Turned out to be a coffee can with nuts and bolts had been set on top of the water line immediately after the pump. Some problems "can" be that simple, some problems turn out to be a bit more frustrating, such as "why did my 50,000 mile tires on my brand new unit wear out in one trip of less than 1,000 miles?"

And this will be my "Tech Tip" of the day.
The answer to that problem, actually, is usually quite simple to guess, but difficult to prove. Axles out of allignment, caused by either bad instilation at the factory, or by the unit being moved around by forklifts at the factory or the RV lots. The bad install jobs are self-explaining, but as how the forklifts can ruin allignment deserves a bit of explaining. When all your RVs were brand-new babys at the Keystone factory or when it was sitting at the RV lot where you fell in love with it, more than likely it had been moved around a bit by forklifts with cups on the forks for the hitches. (Or so I have been told that is the way it is done at the factory too. It is common pratice at a majority of RV lots). Normally this does not harm the RV, but sometimes when the fork makes the sharp turns to squeeze all those RVs close together to utilize as much space as they can, those tight corners can cause a lot of stress to build up on those wheels, in turn transferring to the axles. And sometimes this stress causes the u-bolts to slip, just a little. Usually not enough as to where you can VISUALLY see-- until your tires go as bald as my great-grandfather. If you ever go out on a lot where forklifts have packed in trailers really tight, you CAN see the signs of the stress on SOME of the wheels, they will be staggered-- one wheel will seem to have positive camber while the one right behind or in front of it will have negative camber, or just be straight up and down. And for those of you that don't know what "camber" is, that means the bottom of one tire-- right side or left side-- will be pointing slightly UNDER or OUT FROM the unit, while the other tire("s" for triple axle)on the same side are at slightly different angles. But as I said, normally this does not harm the unit, they ARE designed to flex and bend, to a degree. If not, you'd have busted axles at the first chuck hole you hit going 65 mph down I-20 in the spring. That would not be pretty (But it'd keep me in a J-O-B...). Well That's enough of my learnin' yall. Got specific questions?? My e-mail address is posted, and here it is again-- klikmaus@yahoo.com

My input, knowledge, advice, war stories, fishin' stories (I like fishin too, I AM a Texan...) and any other help I can possibly offer sitting here in front of my computer at home out in the cow pasture on the outskirts of Cleburne, TX, is all at no charge to you guys. ******* Solicitation removed by Admin ****** (and yes, my house IS in the middle of a cow pasture-- 187 or so acres. The land is leased to ranchers and the house is a rental. Theres NOTHING like the smell of cow-pie when you first step outside in the morning, except maybe stepping IN it.... but that's ANOTHER story....)
Peace be with you!

Jeramy "Wingnut" Cleghorn

Montana_4560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Montana_4560
Established Member

M.O.C. #4560
I apologize for posting in the wrong location. Being new to the website I wasn't quite sure how or where to spill my words at. I'll do better next time!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Wingnut0946, welcome to the Montana Owners Club. I'm sure you meant nothing by it but you should be aware this is a forum intended for sharing ideas and answers. There is no room here for paid advice. If you'd like to contribute under those conditions, you are very welcome to do so. We do appreciate any help you can provide.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Montana_4560
Established Member

M.O.C. #4560
I understand that. I have no problem helping out anyone in any way I can. I'm sure that my experience will benefit many of the members here tremendously.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Welcome Wingnut. We can certainly use your expertise here. I bought my first 5th wheel from Funtime back in 2003. That is one BIG dealership! One of the threads you may be interested in is the topic titled "remote thermostat". Many of us have had to replace the remote system with the Duotherm Comfort Control System. Have you had to replace many of these?

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will be able to contribute a lot. As to the smell of those cowpies----to those ranchers who are leasing the pasture, they smell like money!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome Wingnut094 to the MOC. We appreciate your help... Living in the country in Michigan I can relate to the cowpies.

Wendell
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome Wingnut094. Nice to have you aboard.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Welcome Wingnut,

You have picked a great Forum to join. Everyone comes from many walk of life and have awsome thoughts, ideas and like you technical expertise they are willing and busting at the seams to share. I am sure you will fully enjoy being a part of the interaction I'm sure you have witnessed while reviewing the different threads. We look forwarsd to hearing about your travels and experiences. Glad to know we another resource amongst us too. Again, Welcome.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:27 AM   #10
Montana_4560
Established Member

M.O.C. #4560
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be keeping a "tip of the day" posting ALMOST every day, drop me a line if you have any questions and I'lldo my best to get them answered.