Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Montana_3607

M.O.C. #3607
New to RVing - New Adventure

We've purchased a 3400RL and will be having it delivered down here to Solomons on Monday. We don't have a truck yet. We're thrilled to have found the 3400RL and look forward to a good relationship her and with other RVers. Roy is an engineer and supports the Navy as a contractor. I own a small videography company. I film and edit - mostly weddings - but also lots of other stuff. We're putting our house up for sale in a few days and plan to move into the Montana full time. Roy will still work and I'll be operating my business from the Montana. It's a tall order but we want to give it a go. We selected the 3400RL because it has a computer desk and if we take out one of the two chairs we should be able to put in my second computer. Does anyone out there run a business from their Montana? I think the hardest part of moving the business will be maintaining my two websites. The campground where we'll be living does not have phone, internet or cable. We're thinking of trying a dish. Any recommendations? I spent a couple of hours reading things on the forum here and feel like I know most of you already. Roy and I sure are looking forward to calling ourselves one of the gang.

Montana_3607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Welcome to the forum Dreamer. That's a floor plan that my wife & I really look to for our NEXT monty, we are sure you'll love your new lifestyle. Can't help at all with your internet questions but, as you already know, this is the forum with a wealth of knowledge only to be passed on at one's request. We look forward to your future posts!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Roy and Shelley, and congratulations on the new 3400RL! That is definitely a beautiful model. We don't have a business but there are likely others here who are doing what you are considering. I know there are RV'ers out there with businesses run from their RV but don't know which of our members might be doing that.

If you decide not to go with a dish, maybe you can find a park with wi-fi. Just make sure it's available at your particular site.

Good luck with your endeavor. Be sure to keep us informed. By the way, once you post, you are part of "us."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
First welcome to Moc and congrats on the 3400RL. We live only 5 minutes from Walmart, but have no natural gas, or cable (you gotta love rural Mississippi). We can hardly talk on the land line, much less surf the net. So about a year ago we installed the Direcway dish which we both receive Tv and internet over. It is about equal to DSL for speed but will loose connection during heavy thunderstorms. The dish is about double the size of a regular Direct TV unit and has the large transmitting feed horn. I think it would require a permanant style installation, so don't think it would work for folks who move often. Hey, it's an option if you can't get anything else. Enjoy the new 5er and happy camping.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I love your adventure. Welcome aboard the MOC group. We are part timers but maintain our web site through local wifi outlets when where we are parked doesn't have one. It's a little more worj but it gets us out in the community and that's good.
Happy camping
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the 3400RL. Sounds like you are embarking on a grand adventure and we wish you luck. Keep us posted as the adventure unfolds. Can't help with any of your other questions - we're not fulltimers, but, the husband does have a home-based business that we keep track of by laptop when we are on the road.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Shelley,
I've run a business from an RV and it works fine. We have the 3400 RL and love it. I do a lot of my work at home and have the DirecWay for DSL. Works wonderfully and really fast. We put a keyboard drawer under the desk and I have the CPU, Monitor and printer setting on the desk. Underneath is my woofer for the speakers and my battery backup. I hung the speakers on the valance using velco that I stapled to the valance.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Welcome Dreamer,
We enjoyed our time at Solomons Island Navy RV park. As you can see we are a little farther away. Good luck and the satellite dish is one way to go.
Enjoy
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:28 AM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Monty! There are getting to be more and more options for two-way satellite internet. Check out Starband, Direcway, Wildblue and Databahn.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #10
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Roy and Shelly,
First of all welcome to the MOC and congrats on your new wheel estate. Thanks for taking the time to post and tell us a little about yourselves. Sounds like you have a great adventure ahead of you. Too bad your chosen park does not have WiFi, it is definitely the way to go. I am now at our vacation home in WV and have to use a modem. Oh, so slow, but at least I am connected. Keep us posted on how you choose to access the internet.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote