Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
3750/3850 which one

question for those that have had both models and went from a 3750fl to a 3850fl what are the differences and why did u move to the 3850, and which model would u reccommmend to a already montana oweer but a first time front living model owner. pros/ and cons thank you. the reason is i stopped by my dealer on way home today and the Tulsa rv and boat show is Jan 27-feb 2nd and he says he still sells the 3760 10 to 1 over the 3850.

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Here are my impressions okierver:

We had a 2011 3750FL and traded up to a 2014 3850FL last fall. First, we did not have a problem with the 3750 until we saw the 3850. Now keep in mind that we did go the Big Sky route for the paint as well as the level-up and the leather furniture (nice!!!). Here are the primary differences that swayed our decision. The bathroom in the 3750 proved to be an impediment for us because it isolates the bedroom. Keep in mind we travel with the two daughters usually which is what presented the problem (one hour bathroom occupancy rate each in the mornings). The bathroom is isolated in the 3850FL but does contain less cabinet storage (we are still working on that). The second was the kitchen layout that DW preferred over the 3750FL. The 3850FL will give you more basement storage (2" higher and 5-6" wider than the 3750). Although there is less space in the over kitchen counters than the 3750, the hutch more than makes up for it. The under-sink storage is greater which allowed for a sliding garbage can to be installed as well as our portable ice-maker to be put beneath it. Although I was nervous at first with the washer and dryer in a slide, we used the closet (which could well be a large pantry) for ours and it is much more convenient to have it out of the bathroom area where it is located in the 3750. The back door likewise seemed odd, but it really makes it convenient for dumping the tanks and allows for bathroom access when traveling with the slides shut. The 3750 also allowed for bathroom access as well with the slides in. Both units allow for access to the fridge when traveling with slides in also, the 3750 requires either sliding past the dining table or accessing through the bathroom, the 3850 it is immediately inside the front door. One advantage of the 3750 that we do miss is the totally open floorplan in the front which can allow over 10 people to be in conversation range of each other. Our 3750 had the L-shaped couch which did not promote the girls sleeping arrangements, the 3850 has dual couches which convert to individual beds which served our purposes much better. The last thing I can think of is we really like the 3850 kitchen table since it is not confined in a slide. I cannot really recommend one over the other since that has to be a personal decision, but at least you have some things to think about. Any other questions, ask away, and have fun with your decision!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Bingo, as usual your post was informative for Sue and I. We love the 3750 and it's open feeling. However the kitchen seems less crowded in the 3850? My wife and I travel alone, yet our grown son and his soon to be wife join us often. The bedroom isolation has not been a problem. My question is the "sound transfer" from bathroom to bedroom via the sliding door. I like how our 3750 isolates the bed from bath. I never hear sounds from bath. The sliding door gives me some concern. As far as door being on other side, jury still out? We insist on 2nd door for safety and which side it opens should not be an issue for our family! Thanks for your response!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The kitchen is less crowded because the table can be rotated to free up another foot of travel way. What I like is being able to place the table where all can access it without someone having to get up, it is tricky but can be done. The 3750 with the counter extension (we always had to extend it because that was the only place I could set the portable ice maker), seemed to require a walk-a-round path every time we wanted to go through the kitchen. The sliding door is a sound issue, and we had even requested the dealer to replace it with a conventional door, but then reconsidered. We may well install a conventional door at some point if I can figure out aesthetic way to remove the sliding door track and it's cover. That is pretty far down the mod list at this point.
Bingo
Old 01-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The kitchen is less crowded because the table can be rotated to free up another foot of travel way. What I like is being able to place the table where all can access it without someone having to get up, it is tricky but can be done. The 3750 with the counter extension (we always had to extend it because that was the only place I could set the portable ice maker), seemed to require a walk-a-round path every time we wanted to go through the kitchen. The sliding door is a sound issue, and we had even requested the dealer to replace it with a conventional door, but then reconsidered. We may well install a conventional door at some point if I can figure out aesthetic way to remove the sliding door track and it's cover. That is pretty far down the mod list at this point.
Bingo
Thanks Bingo! It's great to have answers from an owner!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
jbcason
Established Member

M.O.C. #13581
Quote:

We had a 2011 3750FL and traded up to a 2014 3850FL last fall. First, we did not have a problem with the 3750 until we saw the 3850. Now keep in mind that we did go the Big Sky route for the paint as well as the level-up and the leather furniture (nice!!!). Here are the primary differences that swayed our decision. The bathroom in the 3750 proved to be an impediment for us because it isolates the bedroom. Keep in mind we travel with the two daughters usually which is what presented the problem (one hour bathroom occupancy rate each in the mornings). The bathroom is isolated in the 3850FL but does contain less cabinet storage (we are still working on that). The second was the kitchen layout that DW preferred over the 3750FL. The 3850FL will give you more basement storage (2" higher and 5-6" wider than the 3750). Although there is less space in the over kitchen counters than the 3750, the hutch more than makes up for it. The under-sink storage is greater which allowed for a sliding garbage can to be installed as well as our portable ice-maker to be put beneath it. Although I was nervous at first with the washer and dryer in a slide, we used the closet (which could well be a large pantry) for ours and it is much more convenient to have it out of the bathroom area where it is located in the 3750. The back door likewise seemed odd, but it really makes it convenient for dumping the tanks and allows for bathroom access when traveling with the slides shut. The 3750 also allowed for bathroom access as well with the slides in. Both units allow for access to the fridge when traveling with slides in also, the 3750 requires either sliding past the dining table or accessing through the bathroom, the 3850 it is immediately inside the front door. One advantage of the 3750 that we do miss is the totally open floorplan in the front which can allow over 10 people to be in conversation range of each other. Our 3750 had the L-shaped couch which did not promote the girls sleeping arrangements, the 3850 has dual couches which convert to individual beds which served our purposes much better. The last thing I can think of is we really like the 3850 kitchen table since it is not confined in a slide. I cannot really recommend one over the other since that has to be a personal decision, but at least you have some things to think about. Any other questions, ask away, and have fun with your decision!
Bingo
jbcason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
jbcason
Established Member

M.O.C. #13581
Quote:

Bingo
Bingo, does the 3850 have surround sound in the living room? Also the outside entertainment center, where exactly is it located? Thanks and appreciate the informative post.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
dunrovin1955
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13868
We have a 3850 and love it. The one thing I would change is instead of two leather couches I believe we would have liked one be theater seating that recline. We do like the isolated bath !! Brent
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:04 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
jbcason,
There is a Sony surround system in the front living room, but I am not overly impressed with it, but it is still set on factory defaults and I have not had time to play with the adjustments. On factory settings it is no where near as loud as the unit that was in the 3750. The outside entertainment center is located to the left of the front door. In the picture, it is located inside of the hatch beneath the window. It is a 32" HD tv with a marine type stereo in addition to the television.

Here is a picture from a different rig of what it looks like when it is open:

Bingo
Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
jbcason
Established Member

M.O.C. #13581
Thanks Bingo, that is pretty neat. I have been thinking about the 3850, but not sure if the low ceiling would bother me. I'm sure I would get used to it.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am a little over six foot and have not had a problem with the ceiling anywhere in the unit. There is a painful at times learning curve associated with the top of the living room slides and the proper procedure that must be observed when one decides to have a seat ont he couch!!!
Bingo
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #12
jbcason
Established Member

M.O.C. #13581
LOL!! I understand that one. I have a few battle scars too.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
jbcason
Established Member

M.O.C. #13581
Bingo, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
No, I did not. You can email me through the forum also. I will send you a PM and you can just reply to it also.
Bingo
Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #15
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We also are considering the 2014 Big Sky 3850FL, haven't been able to find any pictures on their website.....Does anyone know anything about that?
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
RV Station in Oklahoma has one on website. Loaded with Gen marked down in high $86k ? We looked at it, bought our 3750 from the RV Station in Txs! Nice rig. http://rv-station-online.ebizautos.m...montana+3850fl