Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
tcampanaro

M.O.C. #20965
Paper Molding

What's with the paper mache molding, I thought when I bought my Monty that I was buying quality. But paper molding, and in the bathroom! I've got a 2015 3711FL and I thought I chipped the wood on the edge of the lower bathroom cabinet, so I got down with some glue to fix it, only to find out it's not wood but paper. It seems as though all the molding is just falling apart and delaminating. Maybe, just maybe, paper molding is not the correct product for bathrooms!!

Glue is not working, so it looks as though I'm going to have to cut and use real molding and replace it all with the hope that I can get a good color match.

The bathroom door is also of poor quality. I think it silk screened MDF. Just brush up against it and the fuax stain scratches off.

tcampanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcampanaro View Post
What's with the paper mache molding, I thought when I bought my Monty that I was buying quality. But paper molding, and in the bathroom! I've got a 2015 3711FL and I thought I chipped the wood on the edge of the lower bathroom cabinet, so I got down with some glue to fix it, only to find out it's not wood but paper. It seems as though all the molding is just falling apart and delaminating. Maybe, just maybe, paper molding is not the correct product for bathrooms!!

Glue is not working, so it looks as though I'm going to have to cut and use real molding and replace it all with the hope that I can get a good color match.

The bathroom door is also of poor quality. I think it silk screened MDF. Just brush up against it and the fuax stain scratches off.
You had to upgrade to a Legacy edition to get real wood. Keystone downgraded some of the Montana Signature items to keep the price range, but offered the Legacy edition for those that wanted the classic Montana.

That being said, I believe you still can not find a better trailer in the same price range.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I fear you have been led astray about what these units are made of. Even the "Legacy" has wood grained covered veneer core plywood or pressboard here and there. They weigh enough as is ... solid wood throughout would make em even heavier. Minwax has several shades of wood finish stain touchup markers that work pretty well to cover the occasional scuff or chip. Lowes, Home Depot, Wally World, and others carry them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Yup. I think that all the trim around the doors are not wood regardless of year or model.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mine are paper and it puffs up like marsh mellows.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
sounds like this stuff is getting very wet for it to puff up

2017 F350SD/4x4/DRW
Montana 356TBF
Cory
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
tcampanaro

M.O.C. #20965
The molding in the bathroom is paper. It's a wet atmosphere, and in the 2015 3711FL there is not a vent fan in the bathroom; just a vent. I'm 5' 9" and would have to stand on the toilet to reach it, but I don't because I'm not going to risk damaging it. Bottoms of the molding around the base have frayed. In the kitchen, I've noticed the door moldings selling. I live in Georgia, it's humid! Does Montana expect us to keep the AC on year round? Oh and speaking of AC, mine went out 2 months after warranty was up, and even though I reported it prior to the end of the warranty, I was told I had to wait until it was warmer to have it checked. When they finally said it was warm enough to check, I was told, yep it's bad, it's a known defect, but it's out of warranty. Good thing I bought a separate warranty policy!
tcampanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tony, when did they tell you had to wait till it was warmer? Also who told you this the dealer or Keystone Customer Service? If it was your dealer, did you talk to Keystone Customer Service about it at that time? Did you have to pay for the repair on the A/C then?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paper molding