Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Input needed on nesting pots and pans

One of the drawbacks of our 3255RL, in my opinion, is the lack of kitchen storage for pots and pans, etc. I've put a regular set of pots and pans, as well as some other cooking/baking items, on the lazy Susan under the sink area, but they get tossed off during travel. I've been looking at the 15 pc. commercial grade set of pans and skillet in the Camping World catalog. It's the one with a couple different sizes of pots, skillet, 2 detachable handles, lids and storage lids. Does anyone have these, and if so, are they worth the money? Can the set be found at other stores? The brand is not given in the catalog, so can't check it that way. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Karen, you might try removing the Lazy Susan. It takes up a lot of room. We took ours out and added two white wire shelves from Walmart and store our pots and pans there. It gives us much more room and easy access from our penisula counter. Rubber mesh mats could be used to hold them in place, if needed. I keep skillets in the oven. Hope this gives you some ideas.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We did the same thing--a lazy susan is an interesting addition in a large stick kitchen--but takes up too much space needed for serious storage in the Montana. We also use the rubber mesh (no-slip) sold in rolls at Wal-Mart, under the pots and pans. Also put it between glass bowls and such to prevent chipping. There was a big long thread about lazy susans sometime last year.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sunshine,

We agree, lose the lazy susan! Also great advice on the no slip between pots and pans, we also use between dishes, and bowls.

Think out of the box when packing Montana! I found some things just fit better in another cupboard than I would have normally used.

Move the stuff around. See what works.

No experience with the nesting pots and pans, I just bought my stuff at walleyworld.

Good luck

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Sunshine - First thing I had on the "honey to do list" when we brought our Monty home last year was TAKE OUT THE LAZY SUSAN. We found it taking up way to much room and was useless. Now I have a nice shelf under my sink for dish drainer and baking utensils. Also use the rubber matting from Walmart on shelfing and in-between pots, pans and covers -- really keeps items from moving around. Like Carol above said, take a look at your space and think outside of the box -- you will be surprised at how creative one can become in storing all the goodies. Good luck.

P.S. Not familiar with CW pots and pans. I have a couple basic analon pieces -- don't think I would ever use a 15 piece set, especially with only THREE burners.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Thank you all for the input. I had mentioned to hubby that we should get rid of the lazy susan, and I think that is the best solution - replace it with some shelves. I use the non-stick everywhere else in the Montana but hadn't used it on the lazy susan - too much movement while traveling, so I didn't think it would do any good. Wait 'til hubby hears I have another project for him! I'll also check archives for previous thread about the lazy susan. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The lazy Susan was in the cupboard to right as you walk in the door of our 2955.This is the one that has two doors. I removed the Lazy susan day two and made a shelf that created two tiers.This gives us more room than we need.We put paper plates in between the the skillets to protects the Teflon we have the sticky on the sheilf
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Oh my gawd! Bob is going to have another project removing the lazy susan and installing sheves! When we're on the move I slip a length of 3" wide thin plexiglass (just happened to come across some) around the inside lip of the lazy susan, overlap the ends and secure with a clothespin. It keeps everything in place and I can still reach over it. I just hadn't thought of removing it, but you can be I'm thinking about it now!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Karen ... First of all, I agree with the Vickster ... why would you need a 15 piece pots and pans set? I have three saucepans and three skillets (various sizes) and we full-time in our Montana. In fact, when we get back to Independence I'm going to be off-loading some of the kitchen stuff I've been hauling around for two years. I just haven't used the stuff enough to keep dragging it around the country.

I think I'm the only MOC member who actually uses the Lazy Susan. However, after reading all these ideas for replacing it, I'm starting to rethink it. I'll have to mull this over for a bit and maybe get Steve to make some changes.

But I digress ... you might want to see if there's any "dead space" under the oven or refrigerator ... this space can be easily converted to additional storage. There's a thread or two about that if you want details. We've also seen where someone converted the trashcan drawer to a cabinet ... moved the handle, added hinges and added another shelf ... lots more storage and since that drawer is near the floor, it would be a good place for heavy items like the pots and pans.

I also have to agree with Carol ... let your imagination go crazy! If one idea you read here doesn't exactly work for you, it might give you an even better idea that's perfect.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Karen, about the additional storage from the deadspace. Under the oven and under the fridge (in some models but not ours) you'll see a recessed panel. A block of wood and light taps from a hammer and that panel comes off. It's just stapled on. Add a door with hinges over the opening and you have additional storage. I did this under our stove and under the bottom drawer of the computer desk. Under the oven works fine. The bottom of the oven gets hot so don't put anything flammable in there and keep things low enough not to touch the oven. But the compartment itself does not get hot. There are some wires at the back but they can be tied together if needed. They're not a problem.

We made these changes after reading about others doing the same thing, on this forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:40 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Thanks for the additional input. vickir and Vickstir, I know 15 pcs. sounds like a lot, but the set is 3 saucepans, Dutch oven, fry pan, 2 detachable handles, 4 stainless lids and 4 plastic storage lids. Everything nests together so thought that would be a good solution, but the cost is $70+ and hated to spend that money when I already have perfectly serviceable pots/pans. I found the threads about the dead space under stove and refrig interesting and told hubby about them. Our furnace is under the refrig, so that space is out, but the space under the oven is a possibility. Hubby's concern was the wires/tubing, but I told him how that had been handled. Takes him a while to mull things over. He's agreed removal of the lazy susan sounds plausible. The bottom portion of the pantry just has a thin facing sheet as a shelf - I started out putting the pots/pans there, but it was too much weight. I think we will be replacing that with a more substantial piece. You all have given me so many good ideas - looks like hubby will be in the Montana a while, busy with all these new projects!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Karen ... I always forget to count the lids and the Dutch oven. I ended up using one of the wider drawers for the lids.

Another dead space area you might possibly consider is over the microwave. That particular space doesn't work for us, but I know several people here on the forum have used it. As far as the pantry/trash can drawer goes, the drawer mechanism could be completely removed, with pots and pans sitting directly on the floor of the slide.

I've been seriously re-thinking my stand on the lazy susan issue and I'm really leaning more and more to getting rid of it and going the shelf route ... that is if I can find the right shelves and come up with a way to reconfigure the kitchen stuff. (Steve will just love that!)
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nah, she won't reorg the kitchen yet. She'll wait until I figure out where everything is and THEN will reorganize it!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Vicki, I always forget those items too - I had to get the catalog so I could tell you for sure what the set consists of. But, the lazy Susan is history. Hubby just finished putting a shelf in the under sink area of the Montana! It isn't fancy, plywood, but the front edges are trimmed with oak - pieces left over from the free cabinets we got for the garage, and the plywood was left over from another previous project so it didn't cost a thing, only hubby's time. He positioned the trim so there is a lip above the shelf, which, coupled with the non-slip, should keep things from falling off. His big concern is something hitting the water heater and tubing. With enough non-slilp and the heavier items put on the floor, there shouldn't be a problem. I think we've effectively doubled the space under there. The bottom part of our pantry doesn't have the pull-out drawer/shelf for the trash can - I keep the trash can in there now and am going to check around for the pull out mechanism. I sure appreciate this forum - we've made some good changes in the Montana thanks to the exchange of ideas here. I'm hoping to meet some of you in our travels. Thanks.