Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Toilet leaking onto the storage bay.

Hi all.
I got a problem with my toilet. Dealer took it off and tried to fix it then mobile rv service man in Virginia tried. First 2 times it was leaking down the black drain pipe so new wax rings got installed. Now it if leaking around the plywood cut out around the pipe after two days. Seems like it is a slow leak and after the plywood gets saturated it leaks down. Anyone have this issue? I filled the bowl and the gasket held for a while but losing water and almost gone after two days. Could it leak around the ball gasket on the inside of the toilet foot? inside the toilet itself and not thru the was ring. any ideas will be appreciated.

ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
This sounds like something that needs to be taken completely apart... cleaned up entirely, then start with fresh sealants, connectors, and possibly pipe. this way you know all points have been addressed.
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
it might come to that. It is not leaking at the feed line but at the drain side. Since we have had two was rings with collars I don't think it is leaking there. I got a feeling that it might be leaking at the very top of the drain pipe or inside the pedestal.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would suspect the toilet might have a crack or flaw in it. Wax seals are for sewer gases, and usually only leak if the downstream line over fills. If the valve seal is leaking, it should just drip into the line without leaking out. The toilet is very is to remove and break in half for seal replacement. Nothing worse than a leaky toilet. Good luck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Will
When the new wax rings were put in did you check to see if the floor flange was screwed into the drain pipe really good and also screwed to the floor real tight. This could cause the problem you are describing.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
I will have to check that. I assumed that since two different people worked on the toilet leak, of course now it is doing something different, that they had checked the floor flange.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Apparently the dealer installed a wax ring with a flange after the took the toilet apart when it was leaking thru the drain collar fitting. Dometic said that it was the wrong thing to do and now the OSB board has swelled up and toilet flange is not sitting properly again the OSB and the wax ring allowed the toilet to leak around it. Dometic is sending me a new complete unit anyway with an extra foam so when they fix the floor they can replace the gasket again.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Apparently the dealer installed a wax ring with a flange after the took the toilet apart when it was leaking thru the drain collar fitting. Dometic said that it was the wrong thing to do and now the OSB board has swelled up and toilet flange is not sitting properly again the OSB and the wax ring allowed the toilet to leak around it. Dometic is sending me a new complete unit anyway with an extra foam so when they fix the floor they can replace the gasket again.