Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #21
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
UPDATE: Well I have not heard anything back from TRC yet (SURGE GUARD) but they may not have gotten the fried unit until last Friday or even yesterday. I will give til the end of the week and then call for an update.

Good news is that Keystone has authorized replacement of most of the items under warranty. The dealer didn't seek authorization on the TV in the bedroom because when he plugged it in it worked. Tried to tell me the smoke I saw was probably from the converter vice the TV - NOT I was standing next to the TV and watched the smoke waif out the vent slots before I unplugged the TV. The converter is half a coach away! Anyway, while waiting on parts we took the unit out again last weekend with our Good Sams club. Put a charger on the battery when it ran low. AC side of the house worked fine except for Saturday night. Had the TV on as we got ready for bed and after about 45 minutes the GFI in the front part of the unit tripped and there was a "warm" smell in the air. Unplugged the TV and reset the GFI circuit. No further problems the rest of the weekend. DW is calling dealer again today to insist that the TV be replaced. (It will still power up, I checked Sunday before we pulled out) but I am convinced there is some internal wiring issues (melted insulation/what ever). Dealer was afraid Keystone would complain if when he sent the "bad" TV back and they checked it the TV appeared to work fine. We are telling him to tell them to plug it in for an hour or so but don't leave it unattended and they will be able to observe the "problem".

Interesting note is that all of the dealer to keystone interactions were conducted via computer software and no voice communications between them to date. Was also able to get dealer to submit requests and recieve authorization to replace (under warranty) a cracked tail light cover (over torques screw) and replace the sofa bed air mattress (slow leak). Slick system that beats trying to call and get throught to customer service on my own.

Will keep all informed.

Bill

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:40 AM   #22
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Bill and Lisa, I am happy to hear that Keystone has authorized replacement of most of the items under warranty. I to would be leary about that tv.
No voice communications? Amazing the intereactions with the computers today.
Let us know when you find out more.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #23
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Well TRC finally finished the analysis of the burnt up surge guard and it was assembled correctly and all the connections were tight so the fault was not a failure on the part of their device. We discussed the pin arcing on the neutral prong. I shared that the physical layout of the power post precluded full insertion of thier device due to the flat face of the unit and the overall vertical length/height (6-7 inches). They were interested in my suggestion to change from a flat face to once where the electronics portion starts 1/4-1/2 inch recessed from the plug portion so the plug can be inserted flush into the socket and the body of the electronics clear the sheet metal around the post itself (heck - this is not too clear. send me and email and I will send you the picture I drew for them and save ourselves 1000 words. rearick@cox.net). It is possible that kids transiting through our campsite from the loop behind us to the bath house kicked/tripped on the cord and jostled it enough to partially pull the surge guard out of the socket - enough to cause arching to the nuetral pole anyway.

Anyway, they are shipping me out a 34750 at wholesale price (currently $225 and available to any previous TRC customers upgrading to a more capable unit). I also wanted to purchase the lock they sell for it but Jerry Powell at TRC threw the lock in for free and didn't charge me anything for shipping or handling. I am very pleased. I will be happy when the new protection device gets here and all the new parts arrive from Keystone and are installed in my unit.

So bottom line, even though their equipment was not faulty and was not designed to protect from an open nuetral situation, TRC went above expectations to upgrade me to the appropriate level of protection and ease the cost of doing so to keep me as one of their customers.

Bill
Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #24
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Bill, Ok so route cause is suggested to be intermitten neutral. You personally found the connector prong blackened from arcing? Open neutral should not be an issue as that would just be like shutting off stuff using the wrong leg of the circuit...unless you had 220vac devices which you don't. I agree everything you describe is suggesting a "brown" out condition which is really bad for devices as they attempt to compensate for low voltage by accepting high current generating the failure...smoke.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #25
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
This is just general info from my experience after Katrina. Your trailer can operate off of 220volts if the neutral circuit can find its way back to the neutral tap at the transformer. Somehow mine ran for a week or two on 220volt. I believe it operated that way until the ground dried out. I blew out the converter twice before I called a repair shop and he told me I was running on 220volt. Found out the neutral wire was not connected at the pole.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #26
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
5er, That sounds like the "arcing" point for you was moved off vehicle and would make debug really difficult. So you had to replace the darn converter 2x? That sucks!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #27
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
noneck,It was an expensive learning experience at nearly $250 each time. Before the converter blew I was wondering why I was getting shocked touching the battery terminals or while installing the satelite dish tripod I would get shocked when I would put my knee to the ground.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #28
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Time for an update: Last Friday took the monty into the dealers to install what parts had arrived (microwave and converter). Still waiting on the TV and air mattress (mattress may be a while.....)

Headed out a couple hours later for the annual customer appreciation campout the dealer sponsors. Also recieved delivery at my home that Friday morning of the IQ4 inteligent charger module for the IOTA series converters (Makes it a 3 stage converter and will perform automatic desulfication charges weekly) Being a good engineer once I got to the campground and plugged in I checked for "proper" operation of the new converter before modding the unit in any way. Only got 3 lights on the battery panel (G). Not sure what the voltage set point of the "C" light is on the panel but it should be well below the 13.6v rated output of the converter. FInally on Sunday Morning the panel dropped to 2 lights (F) and I broke out my Sam's club battery charger and started charging the battery. Dealer will take another crack at the new inverter when we take the unit back after the rest of the parts come in.

Bill
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, just a comment from a non-expert... You mentioned a couple of times about concern that the park's breaker didn't trip. You also mentioned the Main on the converter was tripped. If the problem is inside the rig and the main tripped, then no AC would be pulled from the power post and thus the breaker would not trip. Right? Or not?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #30
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Update on the "Monitor" version. I recieved a recall notice. TRC is recalling all of the Model AECM10096 240V/50A Surge Protection & Circuit Analyzers...... "TRC has determined that the ........ Analyzer does not indicate an ope neutral until an unbalanced load is applied to the circuit. Open Neutral may result in damage to connected equipment within the RV Coach."
After contacting TRC and initially being told I was owed nothing because I got the previous customer discount on the better unit (34750) my case was sent up from senior management review. I am happy to say that I was contacted and asked to submit my repair bills and they would reimburse me for all damages and refund me the cost of the original unit. I am happy, I had to push a little instead of roll over but they quickly recognized the right answer.

Bill
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #31
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
sorry steve I missed seeing your post and question. During the incident (while smoke is being generated in the bedroom TV) no breakers anywhere tripped. Once I manually cut power, I removed the surge guard from the power pole. Plugged in the power cord from the unit to the pole with no protective devices in use. As soon as I closed the pole breaker it tripped (although I thoght I hadn't fully closed it and it poped back open via the spring) AND the unit main tripped. Since the unit main tripped I was able to close the pole breaker on the second try (no draw since main in the unit was tripped - I just didn't know it). When I went back into the unit after closing the pole breaker found I had no AC. At that point I found the unit Main tripped as well as the converter and hot water heater. I closed the converter and hotwater heater breakers. Closing the main then immediately tripped the main and the pole breakers again. I had to leave the converter breaker open in order to close both main and pole and restore power to the unit. hope that clears it up.

Bill