Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are a lot of reasons for the increase in traffic and the increase in tourist over the last few years. We have been here since the 207/208 season when the economy was in the dumps and the local economy that relies heavily on tourism and snowbirds suffered greatly. The economy began to improve and has been robust to the present day.

Florida needs tourism and snowbirds to survive and all this traffic is annoying to those like us who spend the winter here but it is Florida's life blood. It has already slacked off after April 1st. The traffic is still heavy but noticeably less. We actually drove down I-4 east bound exit 55 to exit 62(the disney Exit) at the speed limit yesterday with not a stop or backup. Besides being "residents" we know all the back roads and short cuts.
and can for the most part avoid I-4 and the other heavy traffic roads. We wait till the 2nd of third week of April to head back North and the traffic has slacked off by that time.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #22
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
Is it just me or has there been a lot more congestion on the roads in Florida the last few years?

We began our slow movement out of our home state yesterday with a short run up to St. Augustine where we will spend a week. it was just under a 300 miles day that should have taken about 5 hours with stops.

Took over an hour to go from the I-75 exit at Tampa onto I-4 a couple miles due to lane blockage for an accident. Then the run up through Orlando there was a stretch of 22 miles of construction which really slowed everything down.

That 300 miles took just over 7 hours and some of I-4 reminded me of California or Illinois roads it was so rough!
We live in St. Petersburg and I really do think there is a LOT more traffic. I swear, every time we have to go I-75 or I-4, we sit in traffic. There seems to be no good time, it's the luck of the draw.
Firsterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #23
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
We live in St. Petersburg and I really do think there is a LOT more traffic. I swear, every time we have to go I-75 or I-4, we sit in traffic. There seems to be no good time, it's the luck of the draw.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #24
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
DQ to St. Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We're headed to St Pete, from New Mexico, in a couple weeks so please ask them all to be gone by then
I wish we could tell them to be gone! Usually snowbirds go home right after Easter, but weather up north has been so wacky I think a lot of folks just stayed. If we'd known you were coming we'd have let you park in our driveway. There's a DQ just a half mile away from our house
Old 05-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #25
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
I wish we could tell them to be gone! Usually snowbirds go home right after Easter, but weather up north has been so wacky I think a lot of folks just stayed. If we'd known you were coming to St. Pete, we'd have let you park in our driveway. There's a DQ just a half mile away from our house
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #26
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I'll run I-10, never I-4. Between construction, accidents, and Disney crazies it sux!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote