Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Guns question

If a person wants to travel to Alaska, can you take your guns across the Canada border leglally?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
In a word "NO"
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What do people do Bill, send them across.. or just leave them somewhere?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Rifles maybe yes; anything else in firearms no. Lots of info on this on various discussion boards. We as Canadians in Canada carry a possession/aquistion certifcation/license to buy, collect, carry and use firearms ( naturally some don't ).
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ellis, if a person had a concealed carry permit here in the states, would it be honored under your version of the permit in Canada? And, does the U.S. honor your countries permit?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, When I left Alaska 4 years ago, I was told by Canadian Customs that they did not honor the US certificates and that I could not carry a weapon across the border. EXCEPTION: I could IF I had a Canadian hunting permit and only the weapon necessary for this. i.e. shotgun for birds or rifle for four legged game. I shipped mine to my son in Phoenix and picked one up when I next saw him......Just can't use US Mail......Have not seen or heard of any changes since then......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, I thought of you when I asked the question.
Just filing away info for future considerations.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I sat for an hour at the border for a very small canister of dog mace. Forgot it was in my console.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would be in trouble if I didn't do some housekeeping. Clips of 9MM, box of ammo, Taser, Pepper spray, Glock. Grenade launcher.. Oh, I took that out.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you really wanted your gun in Alaska, I think you can have a licensed gun dealer ship it to another dealer in Alaska, and pick it up when you get there. And then do the same to return.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
There is a provision for taking firearms into Canada, but it's expensive, cumbersome, and not likely to be granted, in any case. I believe the Tourism Canada website has the info and can direct you to downloadable forms to request permission.

As an alternative, you could just ship your firearms to a FFL across the border in Alaska and pick them up when you get there. What you tell them on the form is up to you, but THERE IS NO PROVISION UNDER CANADIAN LAW FOR SELF DEFENSE WITH A FIREARM.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Ozz,

I travel into Canada to hunt on a regular basis. They require you to register rifles and shotguns at the border. You fill out a short form and pay a small fee. You may NOT take any handguns into Canada. I know of several people who have made arrangements to leave their handguns with a local police dept. near the border until they returned. This might work if you plan on comming back through the same area. I guess you could ship your handguns to a willing FFL in Alaska, and then ship them back when you return, but that would be a real hassel, and probably costly.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
When we went to Montana last year then into Canada I was going to leave my gun in Montana at a gun shop then go into canada, and when I came back I would pick up my gun, so I thought, it seems that you cant do that in montana you must be a resident of montana to store a gun at a gun dealer or shop, I ended up having my Brother in law take it back home with him, then I picked it up from him when we returned back home. Check the laws of the state before you do it.
as for pepper spray into Canada is a NOT, I do know about Bear spray though it will fly. Ozz just get a #5lbs. dry chemical fire extinguisher and use that it has a 20 foot range too it will disable the fire in anybody or thing.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #14
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Ozz, I don't know where or how you come up with there questions, but you do keep things interesting in this forum....There is almost no way you will get into Canada with a firearm. Have an Licenced gun dealer mail the weapon to a licenced dealer in Alaska I don't know if there is a concealed carry law in Alaska or
if a permit is needed for a sidearm. U.S.Mail will not ship but I know UPS will ship weapons but I don't know what their guidlines are. My PD would mail weapons out to be reblued etc to the firearms maker but not to private indivuals with no problems at all (just some paperwork and a few questions - like is it unloaded?) Check with the likes of UPS (United Parcel Service) or FEDEX and see what they will deliver.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Lee's advice sounds good too. I will have to remember that about the police keeping the weapon. I would check with the department in question as their policy
may and can change at any given time especially if there is a change of command of that department.
And a question for Don....can you get a sholder holster for that 5 pound fire extinguisher??
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sky

Lee's advice sounds good too. I will have to remember that about the police keeping the weapon. I would check with the department in question as their policy
may and can change at any given time especially if there is a change of command of that department.
And a question for Don....can you get a sholder holster for that 5 pound fire extinguisher??
Ha Ha a sholder holster!!!! Sure you can its a 4 foot piece of rope looped around the neck of the bottle then looped over the sholder, I think the manufacture is Red Neck Inc. Ha Ha
Also when you run out of dry chemical you use the empty bottle to beat the dickens out of what ever the problem is.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Last year my son in law hunted black bear in Canada. Vancouver Island. He did the paperwork and had no trouble getting his 7mm mag in and out. There is some paperwork that is needed but he followed all the rules and wasn't even checked when leaving. Your time is limited to something like 30 days.
Hand guns are strictly forbidden.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hunting weapons with the proper permits....yes.....hand guns ..no. Purge your RV and truck of anything that might suggest there is a handgun aboard. A single 9mm round or a empty holster can be a big problem. Many States include CCW information on their drivers license. If asked(you most likely will not be) tell the truth. If you say no and they check and your drivers license says yes......you must have something to hide.

we have crossed the border many times, both ways of course, and have never been detained or had a problem of any kind.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

All the information you need.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I believe the only people who do not have guns in Alaska are Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!! Came back from Vietnam and wanted to go rabbit hunting, couldn't buy shells because I didn't have a gun card. That's when I realized I didn't need to be an Illinois resident any longer.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote