Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Shadywood
Established Member

M.O.C. #18679
Mount location for Progressive EMS-LCHW50 in a 3130RE

I am weighing the options of the portable vs hardwired EMS. Functionally they are the same. Both have displays that provide error codes and operation data. The issue for me is if I want to install the hardwired unit where can I locate it so that the display can be seen by just opening a door or cover without the requirement of tools.

I have searched the forum for suggestions. One was to put it behind the removable panel in the storage compartment -- not easily accessible for routine checks. Not a good option.

I assume that the power supply lead from the external connection goes directly to the breaker panel. On our 3130RE, the breaker panel is on the side of a two-door cabinet. Opening the doors of the cabinet reveal a 2-shelf interior with the bottom shelf volume paneled off across both doors. I assume that the breaker panel is not deep and in requirement of that entire space. I am wondering if I could locate the hardwired brick in this area in the door opening farthest from the breaker panel. Installation here would require some wood working that I am perfectly capable to do.

The question is whether there is some other location that provides visual access without major modifications.

Shadywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Shadywood
Established Member

M.O.C. #18679
Remote vs local display

I could consider the EMS-HW50C hardwired unit with the remote display. The remote display option would simplify the wood working issue.

The question remains is whether the plenum space behind the breaker panel is a good place to install the main EMS unit. It is possible or more likely a jungle of unbundled wiring to all of the field devices. I don't want to attempt to slide out the breaker panel if it is ill-advised. Doing something that appears to be simple can sometimes result in "oh s***, now I have done it" moments. My engineering background has grounded me in asking questions from those with actual experience.

Is there another location between the exterior power connection and the breaker panel that I can intercept the supply power lead? Inside the endcap cabinetry maybe?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I have a 3950BR and I removed the basement wall wired the hardwired Progressive Industries EMS there. Then ran the remote up to the control panel cabinet. I can watch the readout when operating slides ect.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Shadywood
Established Member

M.O.C. #18679
Junction box needed?

Thanks for getting back on my inquiry.

Did you have to add a junction box so that you could extend the supply lead to that location? In my Montana the breaker panel is a couple of feet closer to the rear than the space behind the basement panel. Assuming that Keystone did not provide extra lead length, I anticipate that I will require a splice at a junction box added to behind the breaker panel in the plenum to give me the extra distance.

BTW, the location behind the basement panel would work on my unit too.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Behind and under the converter would be one place. The bundle of wires will not hurt anything as long as there is now raw spot of kinking of the wires. But as stated, go a little bit further up under the stairs and towards the basement wall.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I mounted mine right behind the breaker panel. I removed the wire that runs into the panel and hooked that to the EMS. Then bought 4 ft of wire to run from the EMS to the panel.
Using the remote their is no reason to ever remove the breaker panel again unless something goes wrong with the EMS which is unlikely.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Ok, I have the one that is attached on the end of the power cable at the pedestal.

I was concerned about what happens when the unit is tripped or has a burnout if installed inside. With mine I can just remove it from the cable and plug in at my next campground.

If the inside mount unit gets fried how do you get power for the rest of your trip? Is there a bypass built-in?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Yes there is a bypass. You turn it off or on at the remote.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you have an on-board genny or are pre-wired for one, a good place is on the back wall of the battery/hydraulic pump area right next to the Generator transfer switch.
If not a guess it's back to the breaker distribution panel.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I had enough slack in mine, it doesn't take much. If you don't have enough do as LennyK said, your EMS will act as your junction box.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
I mounted mine right behind the breaker panel. I removed the wire that runs into the panel and hooked that to the EMS. Then bought 4 ft of wire to run from the EMS to the panel.
Using the remote their is no reason to ever remove the breaker panel again unless something goes wrong with the EMS which is unlikely.
I did it this way on 3 different Montanas with no problem. I had enough excess wire to cut some off and use as pigtail then route remote wire to wherever you want it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Ours is near the converter and behind the basement wall. I bought a length of correct conductor wire to go to the breaker from Lowe's while running the original which was plenty long enough directly to the input side of surge protector. I also bought some correct size wire nuts, tie wired to the cable in a plastic bag for that unlikely day that it fails and can do an emergency direct hookup
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 AM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Ours is near the converter and behind the basement wall. I bought a length of correct conductor wire to go to the breaker from Lowe's while running the original which was plenty long enough directly to the input side of surge protector. I also bought some correct size wire nuts, tie wired to the cable in a plastic bag for that unlikely day that it fails and can do an emergency direct hookup
Actually there is a switch on the remote that bypasses the EMS in the event of a failure. No need to disconnect wire.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Actually there is a switch on the remote that bypasses the EMS in the event of a failure. No need to disconnect wire.
I guess I need to reread the instructions. Oh well, the wire nuts are still there just in case. Thanks
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
Shadywood
Established Member

M.O.C. #18679
Okay, I have installed a Progressive EMS-HW50C

Just finished installing the unit in my 5th wheel. Appears to be working as it should. Time will provide an assessment of its reliability on the road.

I like the remote display and the information provided on the display. The display continuously sequences: Line 1 voltage, Line 1 amps, Line 2 voltage, Line 2 amps, line frequency and error code.

It was challenging to wire the unit within the confines of the enclosure. For 50A service one could benefit by a slightly longer enclosure along the axis of the wiring. 3 inches of space on each side when you have to guide 6 gauge leads into the terminal posts is a struggle. On the supply side the installer only has the deal with the 3 leads and the ground. On the load side the challenge is increased due to the addition of two amp coils (donuts) on the hot leads. I had to insert and remove the load side leads 3 times to adjust the lengths of each lead. Contrary to the instructions, the leads need to be slightly different in length to make it easier to get the lead ends in the terminal blocks.

Installation of this useful device will require some physical strength (6 gauge wire is very stiff) and patience.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
That wire is a real pain to deal with. If I ever get a new Montana, which I hope is never, I would leave the EMS and buy a new one. That way I would have to deal with that wire only once.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #17
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
EMS power connections

Have both an EMS and surge protection (separate units because EMS conditions power source and limits spikes, surge protect because it will drop the power entirely if voltage drops below safe limits). I placed the incoming power line on a purchased male end, plugging into the EMS. Ems plugs into surge guard with purchased male end, surge guard plugs into purchased female end to electrical panel of RV.... if anything goes wrong, disconnect and repair/replace as required and still have an emergency surge guard (built in EMS too) regardless of which may fail, or direct pass through if both fail... headed home if that happens!
alherbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #18
alherbel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21735
BTW - mounted my EMS behind elec.panel, behind removable 1/4" separation wall in cargo area... have a hole to view lights in that wood panel, to view indicators... BEHIND cargo area, in locked cargo hold, so it remains with us and does not grow legs.
alherbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #19
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
We have the Surge Guard brand surge protector with the voltage indicator located inside our control panel and is hard wired as well. The only issue we had was after hitting some rough road the flat head type screws loosened up and smoked the surge protector, luckily we were home. Our dealer had installed it and sent us a new one. I removed and replaced all the set screws with allen head screws before reinstalling the new one.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote