Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Drain problems

My grey drains seem to be real slow, and my washer drain backs up every time we use it

K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like you are starting to have a clog at the tank outlet. Are you plumbed to the bathroom gray tank (not the galley tank)? Are you sure the tank valve is truly opening to allow the tank to drain?

Do you have a Flush King? This device allow you to backfill the sewer drain. Making sure the other tanks are closed off, backfill the drain with this gray tanks valve opened up. Hopefully it will back up the water pressure into the tank and clear out the obstruction. However, if you have a valve sticking problem, this could be disastrous.

The best case but requires some heavy-duty effort is to remove the undercover and check the drain from under the rig. This could require moving the sewer plumbing up to the drain valve, then finding a way to slowly drain the existing contents so you can open things up and check for the clog. The valve is held on by screws but find a way to drain the tank as much as possible or it's gonna be one heck of a mess.

Hopefully others have better ideas and suggestions for clearing this out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
do you have one or two gray tanks? The second one may be full
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Leonard it could be several problems in the drain lines or valves. The plastic disc that they cut out of the tank to put the drain valves in have been found in the tanks and finally coming down to the valves and blocking them or that piece of plastic from the cutout has made it through the valve(highly doubtful though) and gotten lodged in the drain pipe creating a clog. Since it is the grey drains and you are not putting paper down them(hopefully) that is about the only thing it could be. racerjoe has another good idea-- if you do not know you have TWO drain handles for the grey tanks, you may be just full. Normally this is the galley tank backing up into the sink because the salesrep forgot to tell you about the second drain handle to clear the tank. IF you do not get any satisfaction from the answers here on the Forum and since your unit is a 2013 unit, I'd be taking it back to the dealer for them to find the problem under warranty!

Let us know what you find out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Maybe the problem is the washer drain not the tank drain.
You need to get a clear adapter so you can observe the tank draining
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The other drain handle they are telling you about is usually found near the tires on the street side of the RV. It is not in the convenience center.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
There's also the possibility that the drain for the washer is someplace else completely! I've heard this happens where installers get creative on where to drain. Let's just hope it's NOT into the black tank.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
We had a back up with our washer in our S&B homes that turned out to be in the washer drain pipe itself. Turns out wash machine water has an inordinate amount of lint...that's right, lint. Surprised the heck out of me but we had it "snaked" and all was back to normal. We then started to put a mesh bag over the drain pipe and drained the washer water into an adjoining tub (unfortunately, something you will probably not be able to do) and I couldn't believe how much lint came through there. We had to replace the mesh bag about every 5th wash.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I checked everything, I called Camping World and they say bring it in. They don't make appointments, 1st come 1stserved. I will let you all know what I learn. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
If someone else can do the dirty work, then that's all the better! Let us know what they find.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We spent all day at camping world of south Alabama, spending the night in their parking lot, still no solution to the drain problem.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Our washer drains "straight into the sewer drain".

And to re-iterate... There are "3" valves to be pulled for draining....1 black tank and "2" separate grey tanks. Sometimes even dealers are unaware of this "unique" set up , as other brands keep all their valves together. . Keystone likes to locate them separately. . Perhaps someone with your floor plan will be along soon with the location of the third valve. Our 3402's is next to driver's side tires.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
They just told me there is a "bladder" in the line and they have to drop the floor pan and holding tank
Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
They found a back flow valve installed upside down, had to order one from Keystone. It takes at least a week for parts to get from Indisna to south Alabama. It took 10 days for the new shower faucets to get down here. I wonder if they are opposed to using trucks to ship parts
Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LCBoyer

They found a back flow valve installed upside down, had to order one from Keystone. It takes at least a week for parts to get from Indisna to south Alabama. It took 10 days for the new shower faucets to get down here. I wonder if they are opposed to using trucks to ship parts
A back-flow valve in the drain line? Did they say anything else about it?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello Ozz

They are a substitute for a “P” trap. It’s a rubber bladder to keep the holding tank odor from coming in the trailer. There are 2 of them in the 3665RE one under the shower and one under the washer drain. They are used because these pipes are in the basement and generator compartment were a “P” trap would most likely get broken.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Phil, that is a new one for the ole Ozz man.
Can anyone come up with a picture, or part number?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #18
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
LC,
I bought mine in Robertsdale also. All my servicing issues are handled by the CW in Navarre. Your rig is new, I hope you have sat ON your salespersons desk and explained a few "after the sale" life lessons to them.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Ozz

The ones in my trailer are white. The “bladder” is white also. They are inside a PVC housing that fastens to the drain and the pipe with a screw on fitting. The entire thing is about 8 inches long.

It seems Keystone couldn’t glue the vet pipe in the tank without plugging the pipe so it didn’t vent. The pressure change from the water that went down the sink turned the bladder under the shower inside out. So good old Phil sees what looks like a paper towel stopping up the shower drain. So go old Phil gets a pair of needle nose pliers out and unplugs the shower drain. When I recovered my eyesight I realized there was something else wrong. Just one more thing Keystone refused to pay to correct when the trailer was new.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, it has been driving me crazy, I Googled till my right finger went numb.
Sounds like a stupid thing to put in a drain line, makes no sense to me, especially when they install it backwards....