Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Adivce on GPS(automobile) battery life?

It's that time of year when we share the Christmas spirit and try to figure out what to purchase for the ones we love the most :wink: ....

So I come to the place of wisdom and friends looking for knowledge ....

This year members of my family need updated GPS.

In the past we have always used (and given as gifts) the Garmin brand of GPS.

Through our own personal experiences the Garmin has been a very satisfying unit, EXCEPT for the battery life....

Two years ago we just wanted to upgrade our Garmin, so we gave away our current unit and bought a Nuvi 750....Within less then 6 months the unit would not operate more the 30 minutes without needing to be plugged in....Long story short we were not happy and this was following all of Garmins suggestions.

We found out later that the unit we had given away also had a short battery life.

Soooooooooo.... I would like to hear from those who are willing to tell what GPS do you use and what are your experience with the battery life?

Recommendations?

Thanks, Denise of PartyCrashers

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Denise. We have the Garmin 785 and use the dash mount in the vehicle to keep it powered most of the time. I believe many GPS units use the same battery technology - Lithium Ion rechargeable. If that's the type your looking for you may want to do some reading to understand how to prolong the battery life. Here's a link with some information. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We use a Garmin Nuvi 255W. One of the lower end units but the battery life is measured in hours. I have gone 4/5 hours on foot with it and still had battery life.
Pretty satisfied with it. This is our second one. The first one failed shortly after the warranty ran out.
We have used a 255W all over this country and Europe. In this country we have been sent down a couple of dead ends but overall it is very good. In Europe it was priceless!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Too short
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Another option is to replace the battery rather than the whole GPS. There are several companies that will help you. They supply the battery, instructions, and the specialized tool needed. Here is a link to one of them:
http://www.newpower99.com/

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote