Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Finally stopped the bouncies!

Took the advice of an overnight neighbor and got the bouncies stopped once and for all.

We use a tripod kingpin stabilizer along with the standard rear stabilizers. That stops much of the movement but we still had a lot of movement. It seemed we were bouncing on the Montanas suspension when we walk.

We went to a Walmart Supercenter (also available at Camping World) and bought those travel trailer corner stabilizers. These are the aluminum, pyramid shaped stabilizers with the large bolt down the center. These have a T-handle which I think is necessary for this to work properly. At the neighbor's advice I put one on each side of the trailer, under the rear spring hanger. That's a 19-inch reach on our Montana and the stabilizers go to aboutg 17 inces. So I put some wood blocks under them. Also, to get a good fit between the spring hanger and the stabilizer I tried a block of wood. I tightened the stabilizers as tight as I could by hand. That did a really good job but not perfect. I figured the wood shim was giving a little. So I bought a 4-inch door hinge, removed the pin, and used one half of the hinge as the shim. Now, to feel any movement at all you have to really concentrate. And then only downstairs. When someone walks downstairs you cannot feel it upstairs at all. And vice-versa. We're very happy with how this worked out. Walmart sells the stabilizers as a set of four (we need only two) for $37 and change plus tax. I don't know CW's price. Hopefully this will help someone else who finds the bouncing annoying as we do.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
'03 F350 SC SB SRW 6.0L PSD Auto tranny; '03 3295RK
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote