Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Camping World Failure: Samsung Residential Fridge

FYI:

This may be old news but I recently purchased a 2018 3721RL Montana from Camping World. Short story...Samsung Fridge has already stopped working. Freezer works great..Fridge doesn’t cool down. Called Camping World and service informed me “we only sell Samsung Fridges, but we don’t fix them.” Probably a blessing in disguise keeping my Montana away from those fools. I have a call in to Samsung to attempt the next steps in getting a brand new Samsung Refrigerator to work properly.

If you are buying a Montana from Camping World with a Samsung Residential Refrigerator make sure it works!

Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
just a thought. If they have to replace it you may want to look at one with ice and water dispenser in the door.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
How is this camping worlds fault? (not defending them) but everyone wants to blame CW for everything. What if you bought the rig at a dealer? Would it be the dealers fault? These things happen, I bought a brand new samsung washer for my house from a box store, un-boxed it, hooked it up and guess what it failed, was it the box stores fault? No, it was Samsung issue, so the box store replaced it with a new one and sent that one back to Samsung to fix. CW, an RV dealer, etc, is just the middle man, they have nothing to do if a part fails or breaks. I know of a few businesses that sell machines, appliances, etc. and don't fix them, they send them out in most cases. Call a fridge repair man and put it in as a warranty claim with Samsung or keystone
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Contact Keystone. 2018, should be under warranty. On our 2015, our dometic frig failed, they replaced under warranty. Our Whirlpool Microwave failed, they replaced under warranty. One of our dometic ACs failed, replaced under warranty. All in the first year. They did not fix, they replaced each appliance. This winter, my neighbor lost a residential frig in his Sanibel fifth wheel, purchased at CW, Tampa. Replaced under warranty. Talk to Keystone.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
How is this camping worlds fault? (not defending them) but everyone wants to blame CW for everything. What if you bought the rig at a dealer? Would it be the dealers fault? These things happen, I bought a brand new samsung washer for my house from a box store, un-boxed it, hooked it up and guess what it failed, was it the box stores fault? No, it was Samsung issue, so the box store replaced it with a new one and sent that one back to Samsung to fix. CW, an RV dealer, etc, is just the middle man, they have nothing to do if a part fails or breaks. I know of a few businesses that sell machines, appliances, etc. and don't fix them, they send them out in most cases. Call a fridge repair man and put it in as a warranty claim with Samsung or keystone
The way I look at it is this...when I buy a new truck I expect what’s inside it to work. That includes all the parts..the engine...ac...steering...brakes..etc.

Camping World constantly seems to avoid backing the products they sell. If I had purchased the Montana from a local dealer, then I would expect them to make their customer happy by fixing it. Too many places passing the buck and then after the sell not giving a crap about their customers. If you want to be a “middle man” take some responsibility in what you are selling. When buying a house through a general contractor they deal with subcontractors, not the customer. Just my two cents...
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Key word.........service. Unit bought at camping world, fridge quit working, Samsung fridge or Norcold really doesn't matter. It don't work, dealer sold the unit, the unit is warrantied for at least a year, so dealer should either a) fix it b) replace it and sent the broken unit back to Samsung...... Dealer should provide the consumer with after sales service.......... period.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Camping World should have a service department. If your trailer is under 1 year old they should replace or fix the refrig. Period! They sold the unit and they are responsible as a dealer to fix or replace. That's my 2 cents.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Aren’t the warranties given by the appliance manufacturers? Same with the microwave, stove and electronics? I doubt that any dealer has appliance people on board. Appliance/electronics warranty repair require factory authorized people in that field. The Keystone warranty is for the coach that they build, not the accessories they install. Am I wrong?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
So you are saying if you buy a new car and a week later the rear axle goes out of it, you call dana gears instead of Ford or Dodge or GM ??? Sorry but it's an RV, a very expensive one. Dealers sell them as dealers sell cars, as house builders sell houses etc... The warranty is from Montana for the first year. The dealer should be fixing it......... or replacing it and Montana can figure out the logistics on reimbursement to the dealer via the 3rd party.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I agree. When I bought my rig the fridge when out the very next day. The dealer pulled out the bad fridg and replaced it with one from another new rig. Bing bang done no crap just fixed. They dealt with the fridg manufacturer or Keystone not me.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I am pretty sure that the 5er is a finished good. Keystone warrants the finished good. The finished good may be comprised of components which are also warranted by their respective manufacturers. Keystone will just RMA the fridge to Samsung while CW gets paid whatever the contracted warranty work rate is for that specific task. It really is that simple everywhere else... but in the RV industry. The manufacturer's apparently do not hold their dealers to consistent standards when it comes to servicing their products.

Imagine your truck dealer sending you to the axle manufacturer for warranty. Never would happen.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mo,

Would ask the question of CW and Keystone, Where do I take my rig to get the reefer repaired or replaced? Remember any authorized Keystone service center can do the work.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Not trying to start an argument but comparing a refer to an axle is apples and oranges. A car dealer is trained to repair an axle and/or related mechanical parts, but RV dealers are not appliance repair people. Yes, if the appliance is not working I wonder if they are going to tear it out and replace it just like that. Maybe they will but seems time consuming and very expensive if it can be repaired. We all know that Keystone is cost conscious, to put it politely. Maybe they have authorized private companies come in to make repairs. I don’t know the answer, just pointing out the difference between auto mechanics and expert appliance repairs. Have you noticed that the Keystone manual always directs you to the individual company manuals for information and warranties? If it were me I would do everything possible to avoid taking the fiver to the dealer. If Samsung warrants it, why not have an authorized repairman come to you to do the repairs? Why involve the dealer and Keystone if not necessary? Has anyone tried that? You shouldn’t need Keystone’s permission for appliance warranty work.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since your unit is a 2018 and still under warranty, give Keystone Customer Service a call and explain the situation. This will get a file started on your unit and they can then advise you where to take the unit for service or replacement. Keep us informed on the progress on this case and what you come up with from Keystone.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay fair enough, one cannot expect every dealer to have an in house appliance repair tech. However, the dealer should be making the arrangements to make the repairs not the customer. To simply turn you away and say you are on your own is not right.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I would expect that if I had a Samsung fridge that the dealer would handle the warranty if for no other reason the customer satisfaction. But with that said, Samsung is a royal PITA to deal with, We have a Samsung fridge and a front load washer in our S&B. They have both immediately needed a service tech. But getting Samsung to supply that tech was a study in total frustration even though we had purchased a virtually useless extended warranty. I wont have another Samsung product in the house once these go to appliance heaven

My guess is that the OPs CW dealership has had their problems dealing with Samsung and have passed the ordeal on to the customer. He may claim that the Samsung warranty is written so that he can wash his hands of the problem if it craps out - and the dealership fine print may say it as well.

If all else fails, including talking to Samsung, I would call the local BBB if there is one, then if no satisfaction, the state's attorney general's fraud office. It may end up in small claims court.

Good luck!
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
If you get a Samsung repair guy out, make sure he will be able to get the unit out of the hole. Not sure how yours is laid out but mine is on a raised part of the slide and will be very tricky to remove and get behind to access the main pcb control board or sealed system components. Just know that going into the repair, everything important to diagnosis is in the back. It might be something as simple as an open or high resistance sensor making the unit think the refrigerator is 30 below and no need to cool. And I don't think our models have diagnostics on the user input display. The repair guy will have to go to the mother board to check.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #18
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Topĵustice.............. same deal either way, car axle or fridge, a simple remove & replace and if an RV service department is not trained to pull out a fridge & replace it, or for that matter change out the bad circuit board then quite frankly what the hell are they doing trying to run a service department.....

Your arguments are ridiculous, Montana warranty for a year, Montana fixes it through an authorized dealer. It really is that simple.... Almost everything you buy today has outsourced parts, with your argument any breakage or failure would put you on the phone trying to get repairs with many different suppliers............ ridiculous
Old 05-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #19
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
BTW if a dealer with an accredited Montana service department does not jump immediately on an issue like this with a new unit it would be the last time I would darken their doors.......... An RV is going to have issues, fact of the industry and your weekend or fulltime home going down the road at 65mph.........Good Service for issues that are dealt with promptly are of paramount importance in my view. If you have a dealer that does not provide such then it is time to move on... Over 35 yrs of Rving and more new units than I can count on my hands, great service had me buy from the same dealer until he retired. Went to another dealer for the Montana, had great service the first two years, recently it went back in for some work and they have failed on many levels, they will not be earning a chance of selling me another new unit in a year or so....
Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #20
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
With all due respect I think this is part of the reason that the RV industry is a hot mess. If I purchased an RV with res fridge and it stopped working under warranty I would have every expectation that the dealer would take care of the problem. The notion that somehow the dealer needs a certified manufacturer's appliance tech on payroll or on hand is just not so. These "appliances" are treated as consumables. They replace and RMA or RTV depending on where the 5er is in the sales process. In addition since in the case of the OP I think the fridge would need to removed via the slide whom else but the dealer or another RV service provider is going to perform this? Remove and replace...then the old is repaired and used in another scenario. Granted if the failure is caused by a routinely field replaceable item a third party is usually contracted via the warranty provider. This is where the dealer relationship has tremendous bearing.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote