Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I guess I’m in the minority again, still. I don’t see where people pulling a camper or driving a large MH are having any problems. So I don’t see how some more laws would solve problems that don’t exist. Maybe our governments should just leave us alone. I remember a Va senator who always said ‘ every time we pass a law we infringe on someone’s rights’. I agree!
Lynwood
On a recent trip I saw 2 overturned trailers, both requiring multiple emergency vechicles and lane closures, thus causing delays for many travelers. Someone has to pay for these emergency services don't we? Many accidents cause secondary accidents as well. How many bridges have been damaged or awnings smashed how many gas pumps have been damaged when the driver turned to sharp? How many campgrounds have suffered damage because someone doesn't know proper backing procedures? Driving is a privilege, not a right, and I think you should show proficiency before you are allowed to do it.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #22
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
On a recent trip I saw 2 overturned trailers, both requiring multiple emergency vechicles and lane closures, thus causing delays for many travelers. Someone has to pay for these emergency services don't we? Many accidents cause secondary accidents as well. How many bridges have been damaged or awnings smashed how many gas pumps have been damaged when the driver turned to sharp? How many campgrounds have suffered damage because someone doesn't know proper backing procedures? Driving is a privilege, not a right, and I think you should show proficiency before youare allowed to do it.

How much of this would some new law or driving test have prevented?
I live near I81. I’ll lay odds there will be a wreck on I81 this afternoon involving a tractor trailer that will block the road for hours between mile marker 120 and 145. The truck will be at fault and the driver will have a valid drivers license. How can I be so sure? It happens every Sunday.
A drivers license does not prevent wrecks on I81 so I don’t see how they could somewhere else. In fact I have never seen a camper wreck on this stretch of road. I’m sure they have happened but I haven’t seen it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #24
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
[QUOTE=mlh;1154015]How much of this would some new law or driving test have prevented?
I live near I81. I’ll lay odds there will be a wreck on I81 this afternoon involving a tractor trailer that will block the road for hours between mile marker 120 and 145. The truck will be at fault and the driver will have a valid drivers license. How can I be so sure? It happens every Sunday.
A drivers license does not prevent wrecks on I81 so I don’t see how they could somewhere else. In fact I have never seen a camper wreck on this stretch of road. I’m sure they have happened but I haven’t seen it.
Lynwood[/QUOT

So we should do away with all licensing? (Had to ask) You are right, a license won’t prevent the accidents. However some training and, ( something lacking in the world today) common sense can help greatly. I’m not in favor of the full blown requirements of a commercial cdl but I do favor some regulation of some sort.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #25
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
The driving test only confirms that you can reasonably handle what you are driving and paid attention during the required training.. The training leading up to the test is what drivers new to towing need. Many don't have a clue about large vechile dynamics, don't know how to handle sway or even how to load a trailer to help prevent it. Most don't understand weight capacities as we've seen here many times. How about stopping distances or turning radius? Height?, most new drivers are so focused on what's ahead that they never look up. How many have a clue about speed ratings of tires? Sure nothing will prevent all accidents, but having knowledge about what you are driving will certainly help. Comparing semi accidents to RV accidents is like apples to oranges. Semi drivers are under undue pressure to meet deadlines and achieve profits. Most RVrs travel at a much more leisurely pace. Not to mention semi's probably outnumber RVs 30 to 1.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
As one who drove semi's for nearly 40 years I'll be the first to say yes to an enhanced drivers license. For years I've said the scariest thing on the road was a just retired man driving a brand new large RV. But a CDL for RV'rs...No WAY! That comes with way to many unnecessary restrictions and expenses for a RV driver. For instance, a DOT physical every two years unless you have high blood pressure which requires once a year. Not to mention if you have a stent it's once a year, and then every two years you need a stress test. After five years it goes to a stress test every year, and if you, like Me and many others are on certain maintenance meds, a simple treadmill test is not possible, so you need a nuclear stress test which costs over $6,000! I'm not sure about weather an electronic log is required for just one truck yet, but if so than there goes a lot more of your money. Add in drug and alcohol testing, and the fact that just 2 or 3 traffic tickets can get your CDL suspended and you have eliminated a large portion of drivers. The freight company I drove for said that out of every 25 or 30 job applicants only two or three were qualified to drive. So, while no to a CDL, I would be in favor of at least a four hour or so of classroom training followed by a short driving test in the type of vechicle being licensed for which would include backing into a parking spot perpendicular to your direction of travel. As mtncrash1 said, these vechicles are every bit as dangerous as a semi.
I think you and I are on the same page. We need a way to encourage folks with no experience to get some training!! Way to many people retire and buy a monster RV and with ZERO experience head out on the highway. Its like the cartoon where gray haired grandma driving at 20mph on the interstate never gets hit while a dozen other folks crash trying to avoid her. And then she goes off and says "those young whipper snappers ought not be driving so crazy".......At the very least we need a way to keep those that don't know what they are doing off the road!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #27
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Jim, as you and I, and I guess most on this forum are aware RVs are getting bigger and heavier each year. Add to that the sheer number of new RVs each year and the opportunity for unqualified drivers keeps increasing. Most of us learned by trial and error when there was much less congestion on the roads, and did so with trailers of a more manageable size. In today's traffic and large RVs newbys have many more distractions just in traffic to deal with. I bet most of us learned on the farm or by pulling small boats or utility trailers. Today we are seeing more drivers who have never driven anything bigger than a mid size car retiring and purchasing a 40' motor home or 5th wheel. These are the ones that need training. A license just shows that you have received training. I personally don't want me or my property-to be the victim of an unqualified driver. That's why I think that a minimal training is a good idea.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #28
knapper42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21742
I was raised on a ranch and pulled 30' stock trailers fully loaded since I was about 14 years old. I've pulled large 5th wheel RVs for the over 25 years (with 3/4 ton pickups and have never had a truck break down mechanically because of weight issues.
I don't agree with any government involvement or annual training programs. BECAUSE

I would most likely still be the world's worst backer upper.
knapper
knapper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #29
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
There is a plus side to more restrictions. Many who couldn’t pass or qualify would be shut down and taken off the road. Fewer rvs would be sold giving way to better quality control. Also it would be easier for us to get spots at our favorite campgrounds. There would also be an opportunity for some of us to make a little cash moving rvs for those who can’t.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
A backing up test????
That's it, I'm finished.

Me too. My storage lot owner has all 12’ wide spaces except 2 that are 14’ wide for us backing challenged owners.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #31
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper42 View Post
I was raised on a ranch and pulled 30' stock trailers fully loaded since I was about 14 years old. I've pulled large 5th wheel RVs for the over 25 years (with 3/4 ton pickups and have never had a truck break down mechanically because of weight issues.
I don't agree with any government involvement or annual training programs. BECAUSE

knapper
There may be quite a few fighting for that title.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I’ve pulled boats to 30’ since 1960. I’ve pulled all sizes of TTS since 1976. I’ve pulled enclosed and open construction trailers for decades without a problem backing. Give me a 5er or gooseneck and I become challenged. I have pulled close to 200,000 miles without an accident. My trailers are always in perfect condition and trucks are overkill for the load. None of that gets me into a 12’ space without getting a real workout getting in/out of the truck for a long time.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #33
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I'm a lot less worried about folks backing up than I am what they do out on the interstate at speed!!!!! Yeah you might dent a fender or something backing up but if you lose control due to being overweight or not knowing how to drive with the flow of traffic on the interstate that enters a whole other realm of consequences!!!

My thoughts are we need to have controls just like Florida on the "I can pull this 40' with a 1/2ton crowd" first. Then we can discuss making sure that everyone has the proper training on how to drive like a professional! First item up for bid is learning how to drive in the correct LANE and at a speed that keeps you in the flow of traffic. That lane might be rougher than you like and the speed might be faster or slower than you are used too but driving while keeping pace with the truck drivers (not the boys going cross country in a hurry) and keeping a reasonable cushion is what really makes for safer roads. If EVERYONE would learn to drive with the FLOW of traffic we would have a lot fewer accidents!!!
Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #34
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper42 View Post

knapper
Country boy from Arkansas here. Learned to drive at about 6 on a tricycle Case Tractor (the real kind not a toy) cutting firewood with my dad. He would say "come on boy lets go get some firewood and you can drive the tractor". He worked my tail off and I didn't bat an eye because I was driving LOL.....

I have driven just about every kind of rig and thought I was fairly good at backing up until I hitched onto a short trailered jet ski!!! Boy was that a rude awakening!! Give me a 40' 5th wheel any day over a 10' jet ski LOL
Old 08-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #35
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Country boy from Arkansas here. Learned to drive at about 6 on a tricycle Case Tractor (the real kind not a toy) cutting firewood with my dad. He would say "come on boy lets go get some firewood and you can drive the tractor". He worked my tail off and I didn't bat an eye because I was driving LOL.....

I have driven just about every kind of rig and thought I was fairly good at backing up until I hitched onto a short trailered jet ski!!! Boy was that a rude awakening!! Give me a 40' 5th wheel any day over a 10' jet ski LOL
Just the opposite. A bumper hitch and I'll put that jet ski trailer down the ramp if only 2" per side left over. A 5er,,,, aint gonna happen.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #36
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Just the opposite. A bumper hitch and I'll put that jet ski trailer down the ramp if only 2" per side left over. A 5er,,,, aint gonna happen.
We all used to get mad at the jet ski guys when I was fishing Bass tournaments. We could self launch 5 boats in the time it took them to back it down. I don't laugh at them anymore......
Old 08-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #37
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Oh self launching a boat? 20' line tied to bow eye. Other end to REAR of your trailer with slack on the bow coiled up neatly. Back down till boat is just barely floating and give it a little nudge with a sudden stop. She will float away from trailer. Then pull up really slow until the rear of trailer is out of water and take end or rope off trailer and pull your boat to shore or dock. This of course only works in reasonably calm water or if the wind blowing away from shore. If it is blowing to ya it gets real tricky.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #38
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Oh self launching a boat? 20' line tied to bow eye. Other end to REAR of your trailer with slack on the bow coiled up neatly. Back down till boat is just barely floating and give it a little nudge with a sudden stop. She will float away from trailer. Then pull up really slow until the rear of trailer is out of water and take end or rope off trailer and pull your boat to shore or dock. This of course only works in reasonably calm water or if the wind blowing away from shore. If it is blowing to ya it gets real tricky.
I ran my charter boat for years. When changing locations I could back it down and the 1st mate would have the engine running and gear set to run before I returned from parking. BUT, that was not a 5er,
Old 08-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #39
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I used to launch my bass boat that way sometimes if the ramp was shallow, I was by myself (my favorite way to fish), and it was to cold to get wet. One time I showed up early for a tournament and proceeded to self launch. I watched my boat drift back its usual distance and then some, and then some more! Rope broke or came untied, can't remember witch. To make matters worse it was very foggy that morning. Just before it drifted out of sight another boat showed up and retrieved it for me. Talk about feeling small, I felt like I could of sat on a penny and dangled my legs
On another note, I figure conservatively I have backed a trailer well over a hundred thousand times and on some days I look like its my first time
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #40
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Was just speaking to a friend of mine who is an insurance agent, and had a conversation about rvs. He said the industry goes by the number, and tv's make up a small percentage of claims. If and when that changes so will the laws and rates, rvers are considered low risk which is why the laws seem lax and the rates relatively low, let's hope it stays that way.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote