Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
send free text message to cell phones via email.

Hi,

For what it is worth. Maybe you have an application for this maybe you don't. You can decide for yourself.

Some of us have cell phone plans that charge independently for each text message sent and received.

Mine is 20 cents for each message and I do not use it enough to spend the monthly fee for the subscription. If I send or receive 4 messages/month it cost me 80cents. I'm more the type to pick up the phone and talk than to text.

However ,some of our family members have other plans that include text messaging (If NOT then the recipient pays the fee). So what I am going to tell you is how you can send them text messages using your computer and email.

Say your grandchild has their own phone and has text messaging enabled as part of a plan. Almost all kids now a days do and have text messaging) You can send them a text saying congratulations on whatever through their cell phone service provider via your email application.

Simply substitute their phone number for the 'n' in the following list:
Call up your email program and in the TO: box, type their phone number@vtext.com for verizon wireless.
TO: 1234567890@vtext.com

UNITED STATES
n@teleflip.com Teleflip
n@message.alltel.com Alltel
n@paging.acswireless.com Ameritech
n@txt.att.net ATT Wireless
n@bellsouth.cl Bellsouth
n@myboostmobile.com Boost
n@mobile.celloneusa.com CellularOne
n@mms.uscc.net CellularOne MMS
1n@mobile.mycingular.com Cingular
n@sms.edgewireless.com Edge Wireless
n@messaging.sprintpcs.com Sprint PCS
n@tmomail.net T-Mobile
n@mymetropcs.com Metro PCS
n@messaging.nextel.com Nextel
n@mobile.celloneusa.com O2
n@mobile.celloneusa.com Orange
n@qwestmp.com Qwest
n@pcs.rogers.com Rogers Wireless
n@msg.telus.com Telus Mobility
n@email.uscc.net US Cellular
n@vtext.com Verizon
n@vmobl.com Virgin Mobile

CANADA
n@wirefree.informe.ca Aliant
n@txt.bellmobility.ca Bell Mobility
n@fido.ca Fido
n@text.mtsmobility.com MTS Mobility
n@pcs.rogers.com Rogers Wireless
n@pcs.sasktelmobility.com Sasktel Mobility
n@msg.telus.com Telus
n@vmobile.ca Virgin Mobile
n@mobiletxt.ca President’s Choice

The full listing of World Wide cellular phone providers can be found here.
http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-.../gateway-list/

Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Great info! Thanks for passing it on. Glad to see you on the MOC!

Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Great info thanks, wouldn't it be easier to just get the unlimmited text added to the phone for 5 extra a month and not have to worry about it. I have a Black Berry and I can send e-mails and all that other stuff but I find it easier to just call the person than sit there for a long time tuping out a message.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I agree it is easier to pick up the phone and call. But you know how the kids are these days and some of them would think its cool to know the older folks are somewhat up with the technology. They might even ask you how you did that!

Steve and Betty, Thanks for the reply. Both my mom and dad have passed and my f-inlaw has had strokes and is bed ridden. His wife just broke her toe and fractured her ankle. So we have been doing care taking for them until she gets back on her feet.

Blew the right rear tire and damaged the sheet metal. The front right had a 3/8 x 1 1/2" bolt sticking in it when returning from cape cod. Traveling through the Big Dig tunnel and Zakim bridge outside of Boston.

Donna had another surgery this past summer and put a damper on camping this year. She and I only went out once this summer. I've used it twice, Not as much fun.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I just sent myself a text through the computer and it worked, thanks. But does one have to pay for the incoming text.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks so much for the info. This will be an easy way to send a message to our son at work without disrupting him.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Rich and Kathy,

If you don't have a text messaging plan then what you have done is just cost yourself whatever the going rate is with your provider for receiving a text. It cost nothing for the computer to send it. Just the fact you received one is where the cost is. In my case that would be 20cents for a text message and 25cents for a picture message with text included.

Like I said, most (not all) kids in general even with a family plan have text messaging enabled. As an example, for a $5.00/month for unlimited within and 250 messages outside of your provider.
Check with your provider for the cost though.
Just like Don or Georgia said above.

I find it cheaper not to pay for it by the month only because I dislike texting.

Check with the recipient first so they do not incur charges if they do not have a plan.
Papabeav: I hope you consulted with your self first :-)

One advantage is if you have a wifi hotspot AND no cell service you can still get a message out to family that you are OK when you reach your destination.

The fourth paragraph in my original post said the above. (I can't call those sentences paragraphs though)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thank you. We are not the texting kind either and have it blocked on our phones. We tried this and it works. Sent messages to GD at Purdue and she responded right back via our email.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Great idea!
Thanks for the work finding and inputting all those.
I see no need for texting on my little phone, but my nephew will appreciate what you have shown here.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Do you have to use all those weird abbreviations the kids use. We have one daughter that only texts so this is good info to have. Maybe we will hear from her more often if we can text her.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #11
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
without TMI
http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php
LOL
G2G

Sue and Ed.
Best of luck with the abbreviations and just enjoy it.
I checked that link to the web site and there are way... way.... way too many that I didn't know.

Smile
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
imposable to remember all that stuff.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Great information. Thanks for taking the time to share it. We were recently at Stampede Reservoir in CA and had Internet but no cell service. Texting through the Internet would have saved the day.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Great info ... thanks! Now we can communicate with the grandkids without getting frustrated with the small buttons on the phone.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote