Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
First mishaps on new trailer.

I have had my Montana for four months now and had my first mishaps all within the past 36 hours. I attribute all of this to a colonoscopy, ignorance and stupidity....not necessarily in that order.

We were scheduled to go camping the afternoon of the same day I had an "examination of the colon" (trying to make that sound as presentable as I can.)

For those of you who have had one, you know what the day before is like - starvation is one thing, not to mention the other stuff.

Anyway, I wanted to have the trailer out of the garage, hooked up to the truck and ready to go, because I didn't want to do all of that the day of. All of that is okay, except that I ran the battery down. Now I have learned that you need to hook the trailer wiring up to your truck if you are going to leave it out over night....or better yet, get the trailer packed and keep it plugged in while it is still in your garage. Then all you have to do is unplug and go. I know........this sounds so obvious now.

Day of - had the "procedure" at 9:00. Woke up from the anesthesia feeling great. Best sleep I have had in years. Of course, I had Drs. orders to not drive for 8 hours. No problem. We left town around noon and my wife drove the whole way. She can't back a trailer up. So I took over from there about 5 hours post exam. During that process I a.) knocked down the site number sign across the road from me. Didn't know I had even done that until the park ranger came to my site 45 minutes later to investiage. Apparently the campers who were watching me across the way reported me. They didn't see fit to inform me of this.

Then b.) when I was driving my truck out from under the trailer I had forgotten to let my tail gate down. A tail gate is no match for the weight of a fifth wheel tongue. The tail gate is not crushed by any means, but I did put the first two dents on my 2008 truck all within a matter of 15 minutes.

I guess there are many morals to this story. A few are: don't camp the day of a colonoscopy, live and learn, try to be as un-stupid as you can.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote