Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Slides circuit breaker problem......

So, here's the story:
I upgraded from one battery, to a dual 12 volt battery bank. Made a sealed battery box out of a Coleman cooler, it turned out pretty nice. Oh, by the way, this is on a 2009 model Montana.

All of a sudden, I am having a problem with an auto-reset circuit breaker tripping while bringing in the slides. The ground wires are all corrosion free and tight. The crimp on connectors that I added are all copper and were crimped with a hydraulic crimping tool, so I know those are not a factor.

Here is a picture of the circuit breakers and related wiring:

The one that is labeled as Circuit Breaker #1 is a 30amp, and is the one that is tripping.

Before I really figured out where the problem was, I bought a Hi-Amp 80amp auto-reset breaker like the following picture (the one in the pic is a 60amp model though):

Now, from what I can tell from my limited knowledge, the wire labeled as "Black to ???" is connected directly to the battery bank, so I assume it is fuse protected somewhere else down the line. The leads labeled "Orange to ???" and "To Landing Gear Motor" are protected at 30amps by breaker #1.

Are the leads labeled "To Slides Hydraulic Pump Motor" and "To Main Fuse Panel" then supposedly protected at 80amps?

My big question is can I eliminate both of the circuit breakers & jumper wire, and replace them with the single 80amp unit?
Like this:

The landing gear lead is still protected by the in-line 30amp blade style breaker.

As long as I can determine if the "orange to ???" and "black to ???" leads are protected farther down the line, I think that it will all work out as the exact same as the original amperage protection for each circuit. If the "Orange to ???" is not protected, I could add an in-line 30amp breaker like the one on the landing gear lead, although I think the gauge of the wire would not support a draw of 30 amps as it is wired now. That is why I think it is fused down the line somewhere. The "Black to ???" must be fused down the line as well, because its wire gauge would not support a wired direct from the battery circuit if subjected to a large amperage draw either.

Any electrical experts have any advice about this??? Thoughts and recommendations much appreciated.

Does anyone that has had the single HI-AMP circuit breaker upgrade done at the Factory Service Center or some other Authorized Dealership have a picture of how theirs was rewired from the original, stock configuration to rectify the annoying problem of the slides stopping several times while bringing them in?
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote