Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #101
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
THAT is Unbelievable how bad that is and Very Bad for Keystone and I feel bad for You ,If I were Keystone I would be Doing Whatever it takes to make it right and I mean QUICK!,Hopefully you are posting this on RV.net as well and make it REAL embarrassing For Montana/Keystone and they will take steps so this will NEVER happen to another UNIT but like was said before I'm sure this has happened to a few other units,hopefully the Employee(s) who did this lame "jimmy Rig" gets a pink slip

Old 10-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #102
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

THAT is Unbelievable how bad that is and Very Bad for Keystone and I feel bad for You ,If I were Keystone I would be Doing Whatever it takes to make it right and I mean QUICK!,Hopefully you are posting this on RV.net as well and make it REAL embarrassing For Montana/Keystone and they will take steps so this will NEVER happen to another UNIT but like was said before I'm sure this has happened to a few other units,hopefully the Employee(s) who did this lame "jimmy Rig" gets a pink slip
It is under the thread name "Possible frame weld broken on new Montana" under my screen name NREMTP143 over there.

And I did exactly what was suggested above. I sent both my factory rep from Montana, and the Owner Relations dept pics that you see, along with how disgusted I am about this problem. Didn't bother sending them the video as they claim there firewall prevents them from opening or viewing any YouTube video on their entire compound.
OH, but wait!!! I forgot to tell you that I now have to take the rig back to my primary dealer to have the AC system checked out and documented all over again!!! If you are unsure what I am talking about, I have a thread on this forum about no air flow in my unit and about it not cooling. This will be the 4th time there for this same complaint!! Truly beginning to despise this rig and regret buying it over our other choice.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #103
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Montana/Keystone Should just buy this POS back and a few other lemons that folks have had here and put them on display in the Factory and show all the Employees how NOT to build a RV ,this makes it hard for us folks that have bought good Montana's to recommend them to anybody,They have Got to SLOW DOWN a little on the production line and get it together and do better than that,it's a shame because IMO Montana's are the best bang for the buck in BIZ but that does not matter when they are building them too fast and making too many mistakes and from hearing from owners and friends with SOB's around the campgrounds it is a problem Industry wide So all ya can do with ANY Brand today is just roll the dice and as for me I think I will just stick with what I got right now as i have been lucky with 3 Monty's but my luck will not continue forever
Old 10-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #104
Ddubya
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18941
This is crazy. I am about to pull the trigger on a new Monty but after reading this I am having doubts. My current FR product has been virtually defect free but when i have had issues FR has jumped through hoops to help.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #105
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many of us have had the same experience with Keystone and our Montana's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #106
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have over two Montana's since 2006 and many problems most quality related and
had good relations and service from Keystone and our dealers. Our primary major problem over the years has been failed holding tanks 10 to be exact.

I will say that in my opinion the quality of service has deteriorated over the last 4 years or so again IMO due to a change in management philosophy. There are some really good managers in the Keystone/Montana chain of command who try really hard but their effort is just not enough.

Observing the industry at the fall rally the area is a mad house with Rv's of all brands coming off the lines as fast as they can make them. The transport lots are full there are RV everywhere they can store them. The industry knows there will be bad times as there were in 2007, 2008,2009 and they are racking up profit as fast as they can.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #107
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Every day I thank my lucky stars that all three of my Montanas were great. My current 2015 3582RL is perfect, no problems. Well except for the low bridge incident but that's another story. I just hate to read the problems some of you have and I can understand the frustration you must being going through. I guess all you can do Is keep on keeping on. I wish you the best of luck.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #108
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The camper was taken from the repair shop back to my dealer yesterday. They are working on the new Jensen control system(touch screen that operates EVERYTHING) as it stops the hydraulic slides between 14-16 times while retracting or putting them out. Really annoying!!! Montana has told them it is just a software update to fix. Also, remember my other thread about the AC units??? Now Montana wants them to retest both units just as they've done twice now. This is beyond getting old!!! Also to replace the stripes that were damaged when the nose was taken off. We have a trip planned for next Fri and am scheduled to pick up the camper on Tue as that is my only day off to stock and get it ready. So we'll see.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:49 AM   #109
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have over two Montana's since 2006 and many problems most quality related and
had good relations and service from Keystone and our dealers. Our primary major problem over the years has been failed holding tanks 10 to be exact.

I will say that in my opinion the quality of service has deteriorated over the last 4 years or so again IMO due to a change in management philosophy. There are some really good managers in the Keystone/Montana chain of command who try really hard but their effort is just not enough.

Observing the industry at the fall rally the area is a mad house with Rv's of all brands coming off the lines as fast as they can make them. The transport lots are full there are RV everywhere they can store them. The industry knows there will be bad times as there were in 2007, 2008,2009 and they are racking up profit as fast as they can.
I had good luck with my used 2008 and my new 2014 Montana's. For several rather simple warranty issues my dealer wasn't there for me and IMHO Keystone Customer Service was horrible.

I have always followed long time Montana owner Richfaa on this forum. He has helped me and others with good sound advise. But I would have never stayed with any manufacturer after that many failed holding tanks. I probably would have been done after two failed tanks.

If I ever took a factory tour in northern Indiana and observed an RV line pushing out maximum numbers as fast as they could with a storage lot full of new units I would shop elsewhere. Believe it or not, but not every RV manufacturer is running their factories that way in northern Indiana.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #110
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Well, the camper is back at the dealer for some more warranty work now and the replacement of the stripes that were torn when the nose came off. One of the main things is that the new "In Command" system by Jensen that controls EVERY THING on the coach has been messing up when it comes to the hydraulic slides. A friend of mine now can't start his generator from the panel anymore, but ours stops on an average of 14 times, each way, while operating the hydraulic slides. It is beyond annoying. Montana sent two software updates that they said would fix it. Guess what! NOPE! The system still loses contact with the Body Control Module when the slides are being operated. I did not have a chance to go by and check out the unit after it was put back together, and won't be able to until I go to pick it up Tuesday. They say the unit will be available for our 4 day trip next weekend, so we'll see. If it's not one thing with this unit, it's something else.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #111
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I agree that you could have this problem with any RV. Where the difference comes in is what the manufacture of the RV does on a major defect in the manufacture of the unit.
My camping buddy bought a SOB last year. After three attempts by the dealer at correcting a slide marking the floor, the slide grabbed the flooring and pealed it back. The manufacture of the unit had one of their drivers stop by my friends house and pick up his unit to be taken back to the manufacture. After the repair they were going to return unit back to friend but he elected going to plant and picking it up.
Guess where my next RV is coming from.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #112
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The InCommand m system is going to have to be replaced. They have spent nearly 3.5 hours on the phone with tech support and it has been determined that the reason the slides are not functioning properly is because of the body control module is bad. New one on the way. Also the rear AC unit will not cycle it's compressor and a bad board is suspected and on the phone with Dometic now.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #113
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
You have more patience than I have! At least I know I am not alone but forgive me if I hope to never catch up on issues with my 2016.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #114
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Strange so many electronics issues...wonder if got fried somewhere along the way. Do you have an on board power surge protector?
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #115
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I'm afraid I'd have to be talking to a lawyer.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #116
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chris199

Strange so many electronics issues...wonder if got fried somewhere along the way. Do you have an on board power surge protector?
Yes I do...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #117
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
I certainly do not want to appear to be minimizing the issues but I run into the bad boards all the time in my furniture service company. They are of course cheap Chinese boards and it's usually a cold solder but not always however its frustrating none the less. Never thought I would ever wish things were made in Mexico again but I sure have muttered it lately. On my sob which we traded in on the Montana we went through 3 hydraulic system before the trouble was found. I find myself checking in on this thread sometimes twice or more a day hoping to find some sliver of good news for you, I just can`t imagine the stress you are going through or maybe I can with that pos I formally owned. I sure hope this is the end of trouble for you and hope that some sort of compensation would come your way with the troubles you have endured. Best of luck and I hope to see the end of this thread sooner than later for you!
Ragtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #118
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Well, picked it up from the dealer today so we can hopefully use it this weekend. Was told that the board that is having to be replaced is around 2 grand in the In Command system! Anyway, the board for the AC unit was not in, the stripes were never sent from Montana and of course the slides still stop an average of 14 times both ways. So it will go back to the dealer after the first of the week when/if everything is sent. My wife asked me tonight if I was thinking of trading the unit. For the first time, I think she regrets buying this unit too.
I got an email back from Keystone. Remember I sent them one with pics of the structural defects and talked about the AC unit? Well, the response I got was an email with a copy of mine attached, that COMPLETELY IGNORED the structural issue and that the dealer had put more insulation in so the unit would cool better Only the dealer has NO IDEA what they are talking about. This situation was maddening at first, then almost comical, now if is infuriating.
I will keep you all up to date if you aren't sick of hearing this yet.
Monty
Old 11-02-2016, 01:41 AM   #119
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carole

I'm afraid I'd have to be talking to a lawyer.
That will solve nothing and be my absolute last resort. If still having problems, I'd move up the Keystone chain of command in the form of very detailed, very tactful and very courteous certified letters. That worked for me regarding a very serious issue on a previous motor home.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:53 AM   #120
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
TLightening, Sounds to me like Golfmedik has pretty much reached the last resort and he has been very patient and tactful in dealing with Keystone. You should not have to pay that much money for an Rv that was meant to be enjoyed and end up with a new one that is falling apart. I did not suggest a lawsuit just talking to a lawyer to see what the options are. I believe in being courteous and patient to begin with but there comes a time to persue other avenues with large companies. I like my Montana, did have some problems like delamination on the storage doors and side wall, but our dealer was fantastic and saw that they were taken care of in a timely manner. Keystone should step up to the plate and take his Rv back. It's just not right to be treated the way Golfmedik has been. Just my opinion.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote