Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2016 Annual North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
Food Allergies and potlucks.

Last year I noticed there were a few of us with food allergies who wished there was more at the potlucks for us to safely eat.
I am proposing we all get together and coordinate some dishes safe for food allergies and label them so we know which ones are which (or maybe the coordinator will give us a space on the table JUST for non-allergy foods).
Once we get together we can decide how we wish to proceed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amendment to post:

If u wish to label your dish, that is fine. We will not be asking anyone to label their dishes... it would cause too much trouble.

If you are not sure if something is safe to eat, pass it by...or bring food just for you so you can at least eat with everyone else.

Again we can ask for a space on the buffet for dishes that are labeled for allergies, otherwise, things will be as usual.

You can come find me at the rally if you wish to discuss this further or if you have any ideas.

I was originally just looking for a show of hands of how many people would like allergy considerations. I know last year there were 4 or 5 people and they got together and planned dishes they could all enjoy and had a special place on the table so they knew where to go.

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No specific food allergies, unless you consider carbs a food allergy.

Diabetes, I need clean protein.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #3
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Like the index card idea. We'll do that on all of the dishes we bring.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
Index card idea is a great one.
Firsterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
original response deleted.

amendment made to original post... please read it.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Deleted.........
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #7
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Plan B, I will bring EpiPens.
Walt Johnson
Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Sorry, if you have allergies you know what you can eat, or not. This is a potluck...pick your food.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #9
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Eddie and Sandy,
Please have a little compassion. Not all allergens are obvious. The intent was to ask those with allergies if they would like to get together and fix something besides carrots, celery and undressed meat or fruit for dinner. Having been to many of these potlucks I know there are MANY dishes that people could not touch because they didn't know the ingredients list and it was too risky so they end up eating only undressed fruit or veggies and there usually aren't more than a couple of those available. Most meats have gravies or sauces on them. Would you like a meal of 2 or 3 items and still be hungry? And please don't suggest not coming at all or eat in your rig (I have heard that as well). If, for instance, you would like me to send you a list of everything that is known to be "gluten", I would be happy to do so.
[There are currently 27 items on a list published by the Celiac foundation (www.Celiac.com ) of words on labels that are gluten. Also, unless a "boxed or bagged" item is produced in a "dedicated facility" there is a high risk of cross contamination so a food may not be a gluten food but manufactured in a facility that manufactures gluten foods and is potentially as dangerous as the actual gluten foods themselves.] Sugar also has many names and to the inexperienced shopper they may not realize they purchased an item with sugar in it. Or nuts, oils... the list could go on and on.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
teames27
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1921
Helen I just saw your post. I'm allergic to pepper, all kinds. ESPECIALLY black pepper! I would especially appreciate it if dishes were labeled containing any pepper . It is VERY difficult to detect by looking! Thanks for the idea! Epi pen doesn't replace the inside of my mouth which blisters and peels if I accidentally get it!
teames27 is offline   Reply With Quote