Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Slide Leak

Well, we had a small water leak in our kitchen slide on the 3400. I am taking it in for service later this month, but was curious if there is any way to adjust this myself. The slide is closing tight at the bottom but is not compressing the seal at all at the top. Thought maybe there was an easier way than pulling it 200 miles for service. Thanks in advance.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
rames,

There is! Contact Keystone at their 1-800 customer service number and take it to a dealer or Keystone service center closer to you. It won't do anything to your warranty. Especially if Keystone tells you where you can take it.

Then have the Service Manager call me. I suspect the verticle adjustment is set too high. But, I need to hear more symptoms.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MIMF, where can we find detailed instructions on slide adjustment? I'm sure many of us would like to know how to do this ourselves. Ron's is probably within the period where the dealer will adjust it but many of us are beyond that point. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
MIMF,
I too would like information on adjustments. I need to raise one end of the large slide by 1/8" to stop it from dragging the floor.

Thanks,
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #5
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Included in the owners package is a manual from lippert discribeing how to adjust the slides.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
MIMF

I also need to adjust one end of my slide, it is also dragging on the carpet way too much. Please help with some info.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
MIMF -

I know my dealer will take care of it, but we're on a seasonal site and I have it blocked up for level. One of the things the RV industry hasn't figured out yet is that many of us can't keep them at our houses because of ordanances. Therefore, it isn't a case of just taking it somewhere close. I would need to take off of work to do that unless they could do it on a Saturday. Also, as Steve said, one of these days the warranty will expire.

As for the symptoms, the seal is very tight at the bottom and you can see light through from the outside at night at the top. Seal is not compressed at all at the top. When it slides out, you can see it hit hard on the bottom and it appears as if the top tips inward.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
Montana_3689

M.O.C. #3689
Found this link on slide adjustment for lippert slides.

http://www.macowan.net/Cody/LippertSlideBooklet.pdf

skeetshooter
Montana_3689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Since we are getting away from the leak and into adjustments? My 2001 3280RL has hydralic slides. I noticed there is some discussion on electric slides? Apparently Montana's may have either or is it a year model thing?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Sorry gang, this is the first I noticed this thread.

What I am about to explain is probably going to sound backwords but, I think as you think about it, it makes sense.

You want to have your coach setting as level as possible because you don't want the room to move unwantingly. Especially horizontally. These instructions will only apply to the thru frame flush floor systems for your rooms except the bed slide. It is a completely different above floor system. Also, if you have the monsterous 3685 with the upstairs living room sofas, those don't apply either.

First off, I need to say that the ONLY electric system you will find on a Montana of any model will be on the 3685 I just mentioned. Those two slides are electric ABSS (above floor sofa systems).

You will notice on the thru frame systems that there is a verticle adjustment bolt on the end of each arm that the head of points STRAIGHT toward the ground. The first thing to do is measure each one of the bolts to make sure they are now the same distance or you can count the number of threads exposed from the jam-nut to the head. If one end of the room is dragging closer to the main floor, it may be that the verticle adjustment may be slightly "higher" than the other end.

Loosen both horizontal 3/4" long carriage bolts in BOTH arms at each end of the room. In order to gain clearance of the room floor from the main floor, turn the bolt CLOCK-WISE to "LOWER" the outside edge of the room. If both verticle adjustment bolts are the same number of threads, then adjust both bolts the same amount, ALWAYS.

1/16th or an 1/8th of an inch may go further than you might think with the floor of the room. Tighten everything up and give it a try to see if you have made as much improvement as you would like. If not, try adjusting a little more. Remember, you may discover that you might need to compromise slightly with system. If on the first try you have made a noticable improvement, I'd leave it as it is.

Now, if your coach is older than a 2003, what I just described ain't gonna' work. Especially if your systems have cables and pulleys. It's a Dewald and not Lippert.

And as always, if you would like to discuss this further call me at the office. 574-537-8900 ext 4303.

Incidentally, the procedure for this adjustment is the same for electric thru frame as the hydraulic.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
MIMF,
Thanks so much for the information. I read what the owners manual had to say about adjustments but was a little unclear if I should run the bolts up or down. Your explanation makes it clear. Again, A BIG HEARTY THANK YOU!!! I appreciate your willingness to share your expertise on the Lippert Systems on this forum.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
fulltimedreamer

Let me know how your adjustment comes out, I have the same problem, will check out our slide tomorrow. Thanks to MIMF for all your help. Larry & LaVonne
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

MIMF,
I too would like information on adjustments. I need to raise one end of the large slide by 1/8" to stop it from dragging the floor.

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, MIMF. I looked it over pretty closely this weekend. Our kitchen slide in the 3400 is definitely tipped in. If you measured the distance from the face of the slide to the trailer at the top and bottom, it would be shorter at the top by about two inches. I can probably do the math to see how much I need to move. It looks like you also need to loosen the four bolts in the slotted holes.