Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
Jeff_filipiak

M.O.C. #20876
Hydraulic jack stands

Any guidance for what to use to to lubricate hydraulic jack stands and where to lube or spray? Thanks

Jeff_filipiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Use silicon spray on the legs.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is copied from the Lippert LevelUp Owners manual.

Maintenance
1. Each month, check that the fluid level is within 1/4" of the fill spout lip while jacks and slide-outs are fully retracted.
Note: Always fill the reservoir with the jacks and slide-outs in the fully retracted position. Filling reservoir when jacks and slide-outs are extended will cause reservoir to overflow into its compartment when jacks and slide-outs are retracted.
2. Inspect and clean all power unit electrical connections prior to the first use of the unit of the season and prior to storing the unit. If corrosion is evident, clean all corrosion with a wire brush and apply dielectric grease to the connections.
3. Remove dirt and road debris from jacks as needed.
4. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed leveling jack rods with a silicone lubricant every three months for protection. If the unit is located in a salty air environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every 4 to 6 weeks.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
denhammkc
Established Member

M.O.C. #18294
Does anyone know the torque specs for the 6 point level foot pad to the legs and the bolts that hold the leg to the frame bracket. Mine are loose and i can`t find it.
denhammkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Short answer - 132 lbs plus red Loctite for the pads and 52-64 lbs for the attachment bolts. Read all about the installation of the Level Up system in the Lippert manual Here

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I didn't ask the question but i see carl n susan and rohrmann seem many times to quote the manual. If all of us would read our manuals more then there probably wouldn't be to many questions asked and this forum would be quite boring. Thanks for yall's imput as it helps many on this forum, even guys like me that may not ask the question but helps for future reference as there is probably not one question that's asked that helps just the questionaire but several that have had the same problem.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I have a file folder on my computer desk top that I keep all the manuals and any other information I can download from the manufacturer's web sites for just about everything installed on my rig. It really makes life easier once you have all the info available when you have a problem. I have all the Dexter, MorRyde (for the pin box and the LRE suspension), Lippert, Pullrite (for my slider hitch), Dimplex, Dometic (for all the different products installed), and everything else I have ever had an issue with. I keep photos, and records also in that folder. I know I have some of the original manuals that were provided when we bought the rig, which did not have everything needed, but I find it much easier to just look on my computer as it's all in one easy to locate place.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
denhammkc
Established Member

M.O.C. #18294
Thanks Carl,
I found that online as well. I had questions because it states for "after market applications". I wasn't sure if all the specs would be the same.
2011 RAM / airbags / Anderson Ult. hitch / 2017 Montana 3721RL/Disc brakes, oil-bath Timkin bearings, shocks, X-factor/Tank-less water heater and built in water softener/Barker auto drain valves/4x100 amp Battle born/Go-power 3000 whole rig inverter/all LED running lights and a lot more.
denhammkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
True it says aftermarket but the pad and leg bolts are the same as the jacks installed at the factory.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Within the first year, we had to have some warranty work done on our rig, and when we went to pick it up, upon lifting the front rams, I noticed a divot in the pavement, dead center where the right pad had been. I finally figured out that the divot was from the pad bolt. I tightened it until we got back to the campground, then got a box end wrench out and using a hammer, tightened the bolt, and the rest of them too. None have loosened since. Not sure how I would have held the ram from turning if I were to want to actually torque the bolt.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Back to the original question asked about what to lube the rams on the level-up with. First of all dust them off if they have been sitting exposed to the elements for a long period of time. While at the Fall Rally this year we had a presentation by Lippert (LCI) and they recommended CRC, Power Lube, High Performance Lubrication with PTFE. I have several cans of it and carry it in the Monte when on the road and also spray the legs down every so often while it sits in the "Montana Home" just to keep the possibility of any rust from forming and lube the ram also. CRC Power Lube is a little pricey but worth the money.
Also, thanks Carl for the torque specs on the plates. I keep forgetting it and also keep forgetting to check the plates on my routine checks. Thanks for the reminder too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote