Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
What is that stuff ???

I was cleaning the probain bar-b-que the other day, and when I dicconnected the propain hose and discharged the lefover that was in the hose, of corse the propain came out, and a oiley ooze with the propain, What was that stuff??? My tanks are clean and it was a new refill of propain from the propain company. I have seen this once before whe a leader in the Scouts but never paid any attention to it. But it seems to be pushed into the bar-b-que regulator and causes the burner to burn wery low and it is also hard to light. I only did one thing diferant when I put it up last time, I rolled up the hose and conected the two ends together to save what ever was in the hose for the next time I used it. so does anybody know what that stuff was?

TT2

Old 11-29-2004, 01:26 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Had the same problem this summer. We run off a pig (large tank) with a 8' hose. The problem is high pressure in the long hose. It forms oil in the hose just because of the length. Next summer we are putting a gegulator on the tank and running low pressure to the 5er. All this came from one of our seasonals that is in the propane business. It ruined our regulator and we had to replace it. It has something to do with condensation in the hose. All that from the "for whatever its worth department". Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dan, do you plan to run the low pressure into the coach's regulator just like before? I can't see a reason that wouldn't work. We also are using the 100 lb tank right now but have never had the problem with the oil in the line. But I'll watch for that. I used to use a 12' hose (3 months last winter) but it sprung a leak at a crimp so replaced it with a 5' hose (just barely long enough). I probably wouldn't have this problem with the short hose but want to get another long one before long as the short one is really a tight fit.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Steve I don't know the answer to your question. I will leave that up tp my propane guru. He wanted to do that this spring but like all of us , we all got busy. I'm trying to think of his hookup on his own trailer and I am pretty sure it is low pressure from the tank directly to the appliances-bypassing the unit regulator. we use to have a park model prior to traveling every winter and that was how it was conected. Going to Christmas dinner at his house on the 11th. will get answer then. ( On the road on the 28th to warmer clims) Also want to recheck cause of oil. I know he blamed it on hose but not totally sure of cause. later Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have my hose on the Hi presser side of the tank and goes into a regulator that is attached to the bar b que, I guess I'll just purge the hose before I put it up. thanks for the replys.

TT2