Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
Front of 5th wheel moving

Hi all
Has anyone had a problum in the bedroom with the right hand wall at the front moving up. I have a 2003 32-95RK unit and when I drive down the road I can see the front cap moving up and down compaired to the 5th wheel hitch when I watch it in the center mirror. We are down on the gulf coast now and since bouncing down I-10 the last few days I notice inside that the right wall is moving up above the counter top. Tonight I left the unit hooked to the truck and lifted the front up with the jacks and the wall has moved back down where it should be.
Any ideas????
Bruce Goodwin

Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bruce, Hopefully someone that has experienced this problem will be along soon to help you, but it has to do with an internal support/brace, breaking loose from its welds. It can be repaired but must be done by a competent company. Keystone should be able to recommend someone in your area to take it to. I know this isn't much help to you but that's the story....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
Thanks Phil
We are on our way to the EAA Sun N Fun. I have noticed the movement since I first bought the unit but it seems to be getting worse. Not sure if it is somthing that I have to fix now or will it hold together till we get home.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bruce,
We have a 3295 year 2002. About 3 years ago we started noticing the vanity in the bathroom was climbing up the wall about an inch or two when hitched to the truck. And as we traveled we did notice a bit more movement.

As has been indicated some of the steel bracing joints broke or the weld was broken. Even though I was out of warranty they took the rig in and fixed it. It has been good for about 3 years. Now we are noticing the vanity starting to inch up the side of the wall when hooked up to tow vehicle. Looks like we'll have to have the fix worked on again.

As to whether or not you should get it fixed where you are now or wait until you return home...... Only you can answer that. If it is moving / sagging more than just a half inch or so you can probably limp back home. If the sag is more than an inch or two then I'd look at having it fixed where you sit! If this is the place I think it is then the whole front of the 5er could break in two. That would just ruin your whole day! In a couple of instances Keystone has sent out welders to the trailer site to fix since it would have been too dangerous to try to pull into dealer.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Thanks,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I believe that DHenry had a similar problem some time back, you might want to contact him.
PapaBeav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It does sound like you have the frame flex problem that several of us had. You should contact Keystone and see what they will do for you.

I took mine to the factory in Oregon and had some repairs done, but they did not do all that was necessary so I took it to a local muffler shop where they welded up all the broken welds and put in some gussets.

You may ask why a muffler shop? Those guys are experts at welding overhead, they have the equipment to brace up the areas and make the repairs.

Take down the panel under the bedroom overhang and you will see if any of your welds are broken in that area. The factory only put bracing in the frame above the LP tanks.

Good luck and keep us informed as to how you get yours fixed.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Does anyone know if the frame flex problem is restricted to a certain number of years and or models? Has Keystone changed their frame or is it the same frame for years?
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
Well I did call around but it was Saterday and only got voice mail at keystone. Will try them again tomorrow. I did talk to the service manager at Lazy Days RV Center as we are now in the Tampa area. He said he has seen this on some Montana's and that I should call the factory. He also stated that Lazy days couldn't look at fixing it until some time in May. Not to good when you are 3000 miles from home and have to be back by the end of April. Doug did you remove the cover before you took it to the muffler shop? I did open it up a bit the other day to take a quick look but could not see any broken welds. But I did not compleatly remove it. Where was yours broken? Thanks for all the help.
Bruce
Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The first time ours showed frame flex, Keystone did a cosmetic repair (out of warranty). But they wouldn't do the welding repairs that were necessary. I foot the bill myself and had it done by a professional truck building company. No flexing now in three years. It's doubtful if Keystone will do anything for you here due to the age of your unit, but it's worth a try.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Bruce, I did take the cover down. The broken welds I had were on the outside rails, both sides. Very easy to see when the cover was down.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
My 2002 has the same problem. Is it much to take the cover off? And is it just the bottom cover that has to come off?
Tom
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It is just the bottom cover that needs to come off to inspect the area that I had a problem with. I took it off and re-installed it by myself twice. It would be easier with help, especially when putting it back on.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
Well we spent the week at Sun N Fun at lakeland FL dry camping. I removed the lower cover under the bedroom and found the welds at the outer right hand side broken where the frame holds the wall. Also broken on the left front side. I took the unit to a welding shop yesterday and they welded both sides back together. they also welded it in a lot more places than factory. Then I hauled the unit to a nearby rv park and spent the afternoon putting the cover back on with new and more insulation. I hope this will do the job. I did send Keystone an e-mail asking for drawings of how this should be repaired and they said to take it to a Montana repair shop or a good welding shop. (no drawings) Lazy Days RV did have a display at Sun N Fun so I talked to them and they had me fill out a request to do the service and advised they would come to my camping spot if I removed the cover and would look at it. I never did hear back from them so that is when I desided to take it to the local welding shop. Likely a good move as the welding shop only charged me $45.00 to do the job. Now starts the long trip home. I will keep you informed as to how this fix works.
Bruce
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bruce, we had that same problem with our 2003 3295RK and it was the same frame flex you discovered. Ours was fixed at the Keystone Service Center. They re-welded and also added some triangular gusseting to strengthen the joints. We never had any more problem with that. Good luck with yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I had a 2003 2955 with the same problem. I found that a weld joint had broken. Specifically, the one just where the overhang begins on the street side. Another symptom was the beading at the curve would pull away from the corner when hitched and return to it's rightful place when unhitched. For awhile I couldn't figure out why the rig wouldn't be level after I had painstakenly leveled it. I took it to the Keystone service center and they had the Lippert welder reweld the joint. When they took the side off they discovered several weak places in the wall bracing which they repaired. It's not a good idea to be on the highway with this condition. I put about 2000 miles on the rig with this condition and now feel that I was extremely lucky.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I'm having a similar problem on a 2006 3400RL.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes it is frame flex The Early Montana's had that problem. It was corrected in the mid 2005 year with frame improvement. Keystone had been footing the repair if it was identified as "frame flex"

On the 2006 model we had a problem but it was not frame flex. The side molding would separate about 1 inch when the camper was off the truck. The gel coat siding is braced with aluminum rails and they broke loose from the siding. The siding was moving. They repaired it last year at the fall rally.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I welded my own since the RV shop I went to didn't want to do the work. The outer walls are held to the frame by 1"x1" boxed steel. It is tack welded in a few spots that tend to break. I put a 4x4 under the edge and lowered the camper until the wall was pushed up in place. It's not much fun welding overhead if you're a novice like me. You also don't want to get the walls too hot and start a fire.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Does anyone have any photos of the failed welds or before and after pics? I would appreciate having more precise info before I pull the skin off the 5er- We have a 2000 3555RL and have already had Goshen do their thing but it has proved to be inadequate- Thanx in advance for any and all replies- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Goody
Established Member

M.O.C. #6795
Hi Don and Judy
I made it back home after having the unit welded in Lakeland. I still notice a bit of movement between the front fiberglass of the 5th wheel and the 5th wheel hitch when you go over a big bump but nothing like before. I plan on taking the bottom cover off again and having a close look while it is in my shop. as for pictures I did take some and I will e-mail them directly to you. Hope this helps.
Bruce Goodwin