Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
toilet ball

when I step on the petal the ball will stay completely open but the petal will come back to normal and shut off the water, I then have to use rubber gloves and with much restriction pull the ball back up where I am guessing the shaft falls back into place until the next time it screws up, is my problem with the shaft or is it something else.
2008 3465 10th ann
thankyou brian ayerst

brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Sounds like a broken shaft.....you have maybe a plastic shaft. Replacement shafts are now brass. Being that you have a 2008, it should be brass

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Brian.

We had the same problem sticking open and our's would also stick closed. Call 1-800-321-9886 and they should be able to help. The toilet is a sealand and was taken over by dometic. They will send you replacement parts. Have model number and serial number ready. The lady I spoke to was Shirley, and she was very helpful.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Agree with Bill. Call Sealand. They are very helpful and will probably be able to diagnose the problem from your description and send you the parts quickly.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Brian, we had the same problem and it turned out that the two long screws that hold the valve on the side of the commode where loose. Tightened them up and solved the problem. The screws pull the valve tight against the shaft of the ball valve, when it is loose it allows the end of the shaft to ride out of the square notch in the back of the valve therefore it can get hung open or not open at all. Try that first before buying new parts(been there, done that!!) best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
thanks guys have tried jay and kathys solution now will monitor to see if further action is needed. thanks again brian and jo
brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Brian, one other thought after my earlier post, do not over tighten the two screws as this will bind the pedal and it will not return to the closed position. Also if you have already bought the repair kit with the ball and valve save rather than return it. The other thing that goes wrong it the plunger on the valve will start to leak around the groummet when you flush thr commode. You will know this because you will start noticing a small puddle of water under the pedal. It doesn't leak in the off postion(at least our didn't) It's an easy replacement. We just carry one of the kits in the basement in our "junk" box, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I realize this is too late to help you specifically but I just went through this so maybe someone else. The two screws were loose and kept coming loose. I tried internal tooth lockwashers-slowed the loosening down but didn't stop it. The ball would not close all the way and sometimes stuck full open. At least it always opened. Whew.

I finally bit the bullet and replaced the spring cartridge and the ball seal. What I found was a big buildup of mineral and ???? on both the ball and the seal. It could not be reached without taking the bowl off, not hard at all.

Clean the ball of all buildup.
Replace the seal.
Replace the spring cartridge but keep the old one as long as it works.
The seal had noticeably hardened compared to the new one. Between the seal hardening and the buildup even when the screws were tight the ball was sticking, the spring couldn't return it closed. My old spring cartridge was ok but I replaced it anyways.

The new screws that came with the spring cartridge were longer and had a rougher finish that seems to hold better. They are still tight after two weeks.

And the toilet works as it did when new. About two hours.
I think the socket was an 11/32" for the screws and the band clamp - better than a screwdriver although that would work.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Brian,
I don't know if you have the owner's manual but here is a link to it: Sealand Toilet. There is a troubleshooting section on pages 6 & 7 and warranty information on page 8. They have a 3 year and 10 year limited warranty so you should be covered. Hope this helps.
Jack