Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Slide outs stopping

I did a search, but couldn't come up with the past posts about the slides stopping when bringing them in. Our 4th slide will occasionally trip the circuit breaker as it is coming in and I would like to know the solution.

Thanks in advance.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Of the many times we have used our slides with no problems, it happened to us on a cold morning, 28 degrees and a low battery. All three came in successfully and the big slide only came in part way and stopped. Waited a few seconds and last slide came into its final position. Our batteries indicated about 1/2 to 2/3 power on the panel so evidently as the voltage drops the amps will go up! With four slides that that little motor for the hydraulic system likely developed enough heat to drop out on overload. With fully charged batteries or shore power there would have been no problem!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
When our slide started acting up the dealer added a second breaker in parallel. We haven't had a problem since.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I know the official fix was to parallel a second breaker. However i think I would just replace the breaker. Adding a second Breaker makes that a 100 amp circuit and the wiring is not heavy enough for that. Those type breakers are known to get weak. We use those is our shop to protect the emergency equipment installed in the police cars and we have to change those on a regular basics because they get weak.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Go back to Oct 4th in this section. I posted the question and got good info. You need a 50 Amp Hi-Amp Circuit Breaker. If you don't want to parallel, this is what the dealers are using to correct the problem.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each of the components is the same, and the total current is the sum of the currents through each component.

They may be presently fixing the problem with a newer Hi-amp circuit breaker, but the total current going through the wires is going to be high if the voltage drops.

Check your grounding wire from the pump and make sure it is grounded properly. Some have reported an improperly grounded pump motor, and that would cause the voltage to drop and the current to go up. Lippert informed my dealer when we had the 3400 in 2008 to add a parallel breaker that Lipper provided. It solved the problem.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
our 07 5ver md. 3295 started stopping and starting and would eventually go all the way in or out. dealer in va. recommended replacing the breaker and cleaning the ground wire connection. i replaced the breaker and removed the ground from the camper and cleaned the area of all paint. so far so good.
happy camping
paddler
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Wayne, if you're talking about breakers in parallel, then (we hope) the resistance of the breakers is zero, and the voltage drop (or loss of voltage to the circuit) is zero. Then, the load on the battery is the motor and the current in the circuit is determined by the power the motor is using. Same current whether you have one or a dozen breakers in parallel.

I think it's better to replace the breaker than to put them in parallel because you could draw a lot of current before the breaker would trip.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks for the info, everyone.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I replaced the 50 amp on ours with two forty amp breakers in parallel and the slide outs have never worked so well!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm with Tom on this one. The pump is rated at 100 amps. The wire is #6 copper, rated at 101 amps for chassis wiring. My pump is less than two feet from the battery, and the wiring is not enclosed in a bundle or loom. At 100 amps draw, there will be less than .2 volts drop in the circuit.

The loose ground may cause the pump to not operate, but it would be from low amps, not excessive amp draw. Ever get in the old truck, turn the key, and only the solenoid would click? Get out, find a loose or corroded connection, fix it, try it again and the starter worked just fine. You just fixed a high resistance problem which caused low current flow.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote