Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the numbers say a SWD is within all limits and you have no plans to go with a bigger and heaver camper then why not the SWD. To me it is a matter of staying within ratings and specifications not how many wheels the truck has.It is,to us, a PITA to drive around solo as I mentioned above. I will say that ours pulls the 3400 98.5% of the time. It is by no means our daily driver. However, I would still have the dually. Note that in addition to the dually ours has the snow plow package and the camper package beefing up the suspension even more. Rating is 6K front axle 9K rear axle.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #22
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I got a Chevy D/A because I could get the employee price. If you are going to get a GM product, it will take a dually to carry the pin weight and remain within specs. An earlier poster has a Ford SWR and says it is within specs, that's fine, however, GM's SRW one ton or 3/4 ton will not be within specs.

Want a big trailer, get a big truck; want a smaller truck, get a smaller trailer.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #23
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
I would agree that you should stear clear of the early 6.0 PSD (03-04 1/2). They had alot of issues (I has an 04 F250). Having said that, I now pull with an 07 F350DRW and have had no engine problems what so ever. Night and day as far as towing goes. Numbers not withstanding, DRW's are much more stable going down the road when towing a huge parachute behind you. You don't get buffetted by a crosswind or when passing or being passed by a semi. I never liked that tail wagging the dog feeling when I was pulling with the F250. Of course that was a short wheel base so that might have been part of it. Like others have said, when not towing, DRW's are a liabilty (or at least a pain). It's like everything else in life...a crapshoot...Ying and Yang...give and take...blah, blah, blah
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #24
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I use my duelly daily and have been for the last three years. I have no problems driving or parking it anywhere I want but I drove large trucks for the utility company I worked for for many years on narrow mountain roads and "large" doesn't bother me. Last week, I had it in the snow and ice and had no problem driving. I like the DRW when towing just for the stability and pease of mind. Just my opinion.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #25
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Welcome to the forum -- a great group of people here with a lot of experience, both from schooling, work professions, and the 'School of Hard Knocks'.

I also agree, as long as the weights are correct, any of the big 3 trucks will do you fine. The only thing I wish to add is that if you go diesel (and diesel in my mind is the only way to go for a hauling machine) is that you need to work them and work them often. The biggest problem I read about (and see at the local dealers) with the new diesels is that they are used for short drives, never get up to full temperature and never long enough to keep the Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) burned clean. I use my 2008 Dodge DRW almost exclusively for either towing or long solo trips (45 to 60 miles one-way at highway speeds). The early 2007 and earlier models don't have the DPFs but anything newer will have such. Not a problem as long as you are aware of the need to drive them hard enough (and long enough) to let the DPF clean itself.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote