Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Amazing Technology......

I have piddled with web cams, but never tried one as a live link. We couldn't go in to East TX for Christmas, so our son set up a cam in the living room. So neat. Got to watch the grandkids open their presents. Not as good as being there, but with the streaming video, and the cell phone, we sure enjoyed the morning. The youngest granddaughter, now 6, got a doll that is her twin. Some place online you send a picture, and they make a twin doll to your child. Simply amazing what they can do now days. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Will,

It is, indeed, amazing! Only hope we can be around for the next step in all this wonderful stuff!

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
How very neat to watch the g-kids open presents from afar. Life is pretty great!
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Will,
Not sure we are talking about the same technology here, but we just recently started using Skype. Wow, amazing. The best part is that it is free and very easy to setup. All you need is a camera connected to the computer!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
What type of camera are you talking about Robbie, movie or still?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Doug,

It is just a webcam camera I bought with this laptop about 3 years ago. Alice uses the one that is built in to her laptop.

The hookup to Skype is real easy, just takes a couple of minutes. Nice way to stay in touch with the grand kids. The quality is not like the old herky-jerky stuff.

You can read all about it at skype.com

At the site above they show the types of webcams needed. I don't think they are anything special, chances are that the webcam in your laptop will work just fine.

Might be another Quartzsite agenda item!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I've played around with web cams and also have used my digital video camera. Software accepted it for the PC. You may want to try the digital video camera as a hook-up. I thought the quality was better.

Now I use the iMac24 with my brother and it's like being there. So just bought one for Christmas so when we get back look forward to seeing the grandkids.

Skype is nice. It is good between PC and MAC, as the software is compatible.
I need to try and find that link for the twin doll. Youngest 4 year old GD would like that.

Thanks.

Edited: Found it I think. My Twin
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
My daughter has the webcam intergrated into the top of her Mac laptop. I bought a Logitech webcam a year ago for about $50 for my desktop PC. All are compatible using Skype. It's a great way to bring everyone together for the holidays that can't travel. The worst part is kissing the grandkids....it leaves lip prints on my monitor!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Our camera had software for a web cam. Only problem, it is somewhere at the stick house. It is an older Vivitar camera, and someone else bought them out, and the software is no longer available online. I'll have to check on the Skype, as my son bought a Logitec camera, and said it was difficult to set up. Don't know if it had it's own software and website or what. I have to keep it simple as I can though.

Wayne, I think that is the web site you found for the twin dolls. DW had it wrote down here somewhere, but she is snoozing right now. Rough day fishing down here!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Some high quality VOIP Video telephones are coming online as well. The March 22nd showing of the Celebrity Appentice will be featuring one that we have some experience with. More info can be found by clicking on the link in our signature.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote