Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Port a Bote users

Inquiring minds need to know. I am driving to Chicago this weekend to pick up a used 10 Ft Port A Bote. I am looking for in's and out's pros and cons about this unique portable bote.
Also looking for some suggestions or pictures would be nice of how to carry with the 3400 Monty.
Where to get or what might be a good motor or do you suggest just a trolling motor.
I guess I am joining a unique club - I just do a lot of camping by lakes that I would love to go beyond the beach and do some fishing.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I hate like heck to say this, but I purchased the Porta-a-bote at the Houston RV show and it has been sitting in my garage and has not seen water YET. I purchased the 5 HP Nissan motor to go with it. Of course, then I needed a motor stand, and also a way to carry it.

Here is what I had done on the 3400rl, but never used it. Some one else on this forum sent me the information on how they did it. I have it on my other email system at the stick house, and will be home by this weekend.

The gist is: we used aluminum stock flat bar and bent it to specifications for the width of the bote in the form of a "L" with about an 8 inch length on one side and 2-3 inches on the other end of the "L". The two inch section gets bolted to the channel frame of the 3400. I opted to go through the underbelly and through the channel, then bolt the piece to it. The long side has pre-drilled holes for 1/2" all thread. The all thread is bolted trough the hangers with a lock nut on each side. Since the bote is 24 inches when folded I set the width at 25 inches. The all thread is covered with a 3/4 inch PVC and on top of that is a foam pipe insulator for cushioning. The PVC will spin on the all thread. Whoever sent me the instructions used the axle as a stop, but the 3400 is a little to long so I used aluminum flat stock from behind the step all the way across, with two twists where the boat touches for strength.

I'll try and find the pictures when I get back and send them or post them. I thought I had, but a search did not reveal anything.

Now if your deal falls through, give me a holler and I'm sure I can sell you a brand new 10 foot porta-bote, with custome 18 gauge vinyl cover. Motor, stand, instructions, etc.

JimF - I don't want to hear it!!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
After thought!
If I were to do it again I think I would go with a trolling motor, but keep in mind that you will be pretty limited to along the shore line. I know that in Lake Conroe or Lake Livingston, TX, I would not want to be out some distance with just a trolling motor if the wind picks up. You need to decide just what you will do and how far out you want to go. The 5HP will propel the PB at a good clip, according to the web site.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Selling it already, just great Wayne. We are supposed to try it out sometime in the near future aren't we. Won't it fit in the MH on the ledge between the 2 compartments?? Heck, you could tie it on top of your nice new toad.. Carry the motor in the cars back hatch, along with your dog house, if all that will fit.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Waynem, a picture is worth a thousand words so when you get an opportunity please post or send to me. The guy I am getting this from bought it for a dingy for a sailboat that he no longer has and used it maybe 3 or 4 times and offered to me for free if I would come pick it up in Chicago so.....Sunday I am on my way. Only price haggling I will be doing is at the gas pump to fill up my TV.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim,
I'm working on it. Maybe a Thule for the TOAD.

We'll test it out some time soon, I hope.

I'll look for the pictures when I get back.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I also have a 12 ft porta boat, and carry it on a 2955 2005 Montana. I just got it last year because I likes to bass fish and it works great! Have had it out numerous times and can not say anything bad about it. Bought mine new, and was pretty pricey so if you get it for free consider it a great bargain! It is not the ranger bass boat that I am use to but it works well with the 5th wheel. We carry it also under the Montana. With a little torch, welder and imagination I built the carrier. I made it out of lightweight steel, and put carpet on the floor. I bought both the trolling 45 lb thrust and a gas motor 5 horse Honda. I only used the gas once, seems the trolling is what is needed most of the time because I lake fish. I did take it out in a cove at the ocean to go clamming and that is when I used the gas motor.

It was a little hard to put together the first few times because it was stiff and new. There is a board that comes with the boat that holds it open while you unfold it and it is a must. Make sure you pick that up also. Can be easily made but without it you will be cussing up a storm trying to get the boat to stay open until you get the seats in.

It was a great investment for me. It is sturdy and safe. Just the concept of knowing it folds up everyone thinks it can do that in the water. It can't. The UPS guy who delivered ours said he saw a truck run over one and it never did anything to it.

I can try to take a few pics if you are interested send me a email to wdanielsc@juno.com. I think you will be happy you made the trip. The only down fall is the new Montana's with the larger basements you can't put the carrier under it because it is to low to the ground. So if you have a 2008 or older Montana you should be ok no matter the model.

Good luck, keep me posted.

Bill
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
When Wayne gets home I suspect he will find I was the one who sent him information on mounting the Porta-Bote under the Montana. I used steel flat stock (I live in CA) and Wayne substituted aluminum (he was worried about rust in the east). My bote is a 12' slung under a 2955. So it just reaches the axle and I used it to mount a stop. I have made a number of these mounting brackets for friends. We often fashion a horizontal "stop" bracket off of the rear-most veritcal support when suspending a shorter bote (10') or mounting on a longer trailer.

RPHOWARD and I both have 12' botes and we both use gas motors. Ray has a 4HP Nissan that he got from the Porta-Bote vendor for the best price around. He likes it because it is very light (36 lbs.??) and he can carry it easily. It isn't the most powerful thing known to man and he does have to watch the wind and waves. Of course a Porta-Bote is not something that you want to be in when conditions get nasty. I have a larger HP Honda that has more power than I can use. In calm conditions, I can run circles around Ray. But when it starts getting nasty, we both have to go the same slow speed. Neither of us have tried a trolling motor (yet). Most of our use is to go crabbing on the mouth of the Upmqua River in Oregon.

I must have some pictures of the brackets around here somewhere as Wayne says I had sent him some. PM me with a e-mail address and I will send you what I have (assuming I can find it - a recent hard drive failure cost me some time and data). I may even have an extra set of brackets in the garage.

P.S. While Wayne doesn't remember my name, I remember his. I told him to call if he had any questions and he took me up on the offer. It was Saturday morning and he was anxious to clear up one final detail before starting the installation. He waited until the civilized hour of 9:00 AM before calling. Unfortunately he is on Eastern time and I am on Pacific time. That is the earliest I had been awake for a long time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Well it is a slow night here in CA so I tried to find where I had emailed Wayne. No such luck. Then I had the idea of using our favorite MOC forum tool - the search command. Badda bing, badda boom there was the posting I made earlier this year. And the photo bucket links still work!

Take a look at this thread. There is good stuff throughout the three pages.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26642&SearchTerms=porta-bote

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carl,
Of course I remember your name! Waht do you think I am, old!

Phil,
Carl's idea is almost exactly what I stole as an idea, after he had posted and sent me the instructions. I do have the instructions pigeon holed somewhere and just need to find them.

As Carl stated, I used aluminum stock because I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas and it's a hassle trying to keep after steel and rust.

Just remember, steel or aluminum, measure twice, cut once.

Also, I did not cut any of the underbelly. Instead, we drilled a hole through it, and the frame rails. All we had to do was take down one side of the underbelly and reach with a long arm. Use blue thread lock and I even used double nuts. If you put it in the middle you will have to most likely cut the underbelly and make a flap as carl did.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Looked at the pic's and that is what I used the flat steel stock. After I finished the brackets I enclosed it with wire steel to make a cage. Also made a door on the end on hinge to open and close which enables me to lock the door and secure the boat. These days you never know.

Carl, what horsepower is your Honda? Mine is a 5hp Honda and it does not have the power that I expected with a few people (2 normal size)in the boat. I am told that the 4 stroke does not have the power that a 2 stroke has, just sluggish. So I am interested in what you have since it seems you have plenty of power. Don't want to be over powered, and ski behind the boat, but would like it to push the boat a lot better and get where you want to go.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks for finding the old post. Those pics will come in handy. I'm thinking about still using the roller idea but have them mounted in a box so it is all enclosed with a door at the front for loading and unloading.
Anyway really appreciate all the ideas.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I had thought fo doing the box then decided that the weight addition would be to much for my taste. I had a professional sail maker fit a cover for my Bote. They did a real nice job for less than $300. (Hey, isn't a Bote just a hole you pour money into!!!!

I'm home - but I'm not into search tonight. Still working off the laptop. I'll check my email and pictures tomorrow or this weekend (if you keep reminding me).
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Carl, what horsepower is your Honda?
The 12' Porta-Bote is rated for 6 HP and 65 lbs of motor. I happened to have an older 8 HP Honda available at no cost, so I have been using it. I am over in both categories. I never open the throttle quickly or completely. There is a limit on how fast you can push that plastic hull through the water. Try to exceed it and strange things start to happen. A similar length aluminum boat with the same motor would probably go faster in smooth water. But I am not in that big of a hurry - I am retired after all.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

...I'm thinking about still using the roller idea but have them mounted in a box so it is all enclosed with a door at the front for loading and unloading....
I thought long and hard on building a box. I never came up with a good way to ensure it didn't leak water or dirt. Maybe I wasn't creative enough. That is why I went with the Naugahyde bag. It is simple, keeps water and dirt out, and is easy to make/replace. I was worried about the coefficient of friction when trying to slide the Bote into a box. Building rollers inside would definitely overcome that issue.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well, I have a son-in-law who is a finish cabinet maker and can do wonders with wood so I am going to enlist his thoughts on the subject.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have a 12' Port-A-Bote and carry it on the big slide on a 2955. We've used it everywhere from San Francisco Bay to the Florida Keys and on lakes and rivers in between. We use a 5 h.p. and have found it to be just fine. The brackets to carry the boat on the slide can be obtained from the manufacturer.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM   #17
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Update, I went to Chicago and picked up my Porta Bote. I can't believe that guy just gave it away. He was getting ready to head for Flordia and didn't want to mess with it I guess. Anyway it is in perfect shape, it is a 2002 10 footer with the plastic seats and oars. Now I am looking and measuring under the 3400 and there is a drain pipe coming down on the curb side and runs over to the main drain. I am thinking this is the Washer drain as it looks like it comes down out of the closet by the door. That would have to be removed as the boat almost comes all the way back to the steps.
Looks like I may be in the market for a trolling motor in my future. Not sure I want to pack around a gas motor. So all you Porta Bote owners out there, I am joining the club.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
That is your washer drain. That is one of the reasons I mounted my rollers on the curb side, right next to the steps. When folded, the bote is only 4 inches thick.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #19
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Yeah, I am pretty sure it is the washer drain and since I have no intentions of installing a washer I'm sure a hack saw and a couple of end caps should do the trick. I am considering making a box about 12 inches thick with rollers mounted on the inside to assist in the loading. I will probably seal with cauking and rubber stripping around the door. I think I will make the door to be on about a 45 degree angle to the box to assist in aerodynamics. In other words will slant from the top to the rear at 45 degrees. I will take pictures and post the project but that will be when things start to warm up around here in April.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I believe Dave Anderson had the same drain line when he installed his Porta-Bote under the Montana. As he had no plans to use a washer/dryer, he did what you plan. End caps and ABS glue work great. Just leave enough stub to reverse the operation if you later change your mind.