Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Using Low Sulfur Fuel

I hope I'm not repeating any threads but I haven't paid a lot of attention to diesel talk until now. I filled up today and seen a sign for the first time after buying this T/V. It stated it was low sulfur for 2007 engines or later and also stated that it was recommended for all engines. Are there any opinions about using the low sulfur fuel on older engines? Is it likely to have an effect on the performance in any way?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Some mechanics say you should use an additive because there is less lubrication in the low or ultra low sulfur fuels. Some folks here use the additive available in most WalMarts. Since I have a newer Ford, I use the additive available from Ford. My cost is $6.00 per 125 gallons of fuel. You will have to determine whether it is necessary or not.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stanadyne seems to be a popular choice. I used it in my 2005 F-350 when I had it. All I was looking for was lubricity and not economy or other items that may be of interest.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
LSD is disappearing fast. Most pumps have ULSD. I use LSD when ever I can find it. I also put in about 8 oz of two stroke oil to help lube the injection pump. LSD is not to be used in 2007 and newer trucks.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In my 05, I have been using ULSD since it came out without any problems or additives. Have over 66,000 miles on the TV without incident. Here in Clearwater. my GMC service advisor and their diesel mechanic say that while an additive won't hurt anything it is totally unnecessary and just one more expense we can all do without. I received pretty much the same advise from the GMC dealer in Dothan, Alabama last fall.
Like stiles said "You will have to determine whether it is necessary or not."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right...same here as Glenn we don't put in any additives, just do what is called out in the service interval schedule.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The ULSD has less sulfur than the LSD, but they put an additive in it to make up for the loss of lubication the sulfur provided.

For GM owners, as stated, the dealers say no additive is necessary...they also say that if you use one, the only one GM approved is Stanadyne.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Don't need nuttin' unless it makes you feel better. Our Chev dealer says no additives for our 2007.5 Chev diesel. It runs great on ULSD ...Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have used Lucas Fuel Treatment in my '95 Ford with excellent results.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Montana Martins
Established Member

M.O.C. #6769
I'm assuming LSD is 15ppm, and ULSD is 5ppm. If so, I use both in my 2003 Duramax, but have found 15ppm to be widely available. Only used an additive on one 5000 mile trip. That was this year. Bought that additive at the my GMC dealer.

Our only problem has been (apparently) getting clean fuel. We've had to change fuel filters at fairly short intervals, less than 12,000 miles. In Memphis in 2007, the filter clogged so badly we had to be towed.
Montana Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have read that the new Diesel motors require a cetene rating of 45..Consider this..

"Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. The minimum CN at the pump is supposed to be 45. The legal minimum cetane rating for #1 and #2 diesel is 40. Most diesel fuel leaves the refinery with a CN of around 42. The CN rating depends on the crude oil the fuel was refined from. It varies so much from tanker to tanker that a consistent CN rating is almost impossible. Distilling diesel is a crude process compared with making gasoline. Gasoline is more of a manufactured product with tighter standards so the octane rating is very consistent. But, the CN rating at the diesel pump can be anywhere from 42-46. That’s why there is almost never a sticker on a diesel fuel pump for CN"

So what are we getting in the ULSD 40, 42,46????My thought is there is no way to know. I am sure that the motor will run Ok at a CN rating of 40-42 but I'll bet it will run beter at a CN of 45-50. We have always used a additive in the 08 6.4l on the advise of several Diesel tech's that I figure know more than I do. Here in Florida we use Shell Premimum Diesel and I am convinced that this 08 runs better with the additive or the Shell premimum and gets a bit better MPG. IMO that is...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Martins

I'm assuming LSD is 15ppm, and ULSD is 5ppm. If so, I use both in my 2003 Duramax, but have found 15ppm to be widely available. Only used an additive on one 5000 mile trip. That was this year. Bought that additive at the my GMC dealer.

Our only problem has been (apparently) getting clean fuel. We've had to change fuel filters at fairly short intervals, less than 12,000 miles. In Memphis in 2007, the filter clogged so badly we had to be towed.
LSD is 500 ppm and ULSD is 15 ppm.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The posted number for LSD at 500ppm is the maximum allowed. The posted number for ULSD at 15ppm is also the maximum allowed.

As far the definition of cetane....it is a rating for diesel oil that indicates how easily the fuel ignites and how fast it will burn. The rating is obtained by measuring the time lapse between fuel injection and ignition. This is easily obtained in the refinery during the distillation process by controlling the different parameters of heat, cooling and pressure.

Kerosene (also known as jet fuel) is the next lightest component in the crude chain above diesel. Depending upon the market's demand for kerosene allows the refinery to set control points for diesel. They will pull as much diesel into the kerosene as possible in order to keep the supply up for the airlines and for processing economics. Rich's comment about low cetane and the specifications are mostly correct except it does not depend upon the type of crude being refined. However, by rereading the above definition of cetane it is very simple to increase cetane.....add a gallon of gasoline. The power curve for increased performance will not occur after cetane has reached a 50. It not recommended that diesel contain more than 20% gasoline.

I have looked at the labels on diesel additives and it does not give composition. I suspect since it requires only adding a few ounces to a tank of diesel that it might be something like toluene or xylene, both of which are very high in octane.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Charlie..I got that quote from several articles on the distallation process. Would like to hear more about adding gas to diesel to increase the cetene rating as everything we have researched says not to do that????

Example...

"The light distillates that gasolines are made from have a natural high-octane index. The middle distillates that diesel fuels come from have a high cetane index. The octane and cetane indexes are INVERSE scales. A fuel that has a high octane number has a low cetane number, and a high cetane fuel has a low octane number. Anything with a high octane rating will retard diesel fuel’s ability to ignite. That’s why each fuel has developed along with different types of engine designs and fuel delivery systems. Gasoline mixed in diesel fuel will inhibit combustion in a diesel engine and diesel fuel mixed in gasoline will ignite too soon in a gasoline engine"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote