Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
33,000 FEMA Tailers

We're in Hope, Arkansas. Went up to Murfreeboro today to hunt for some diamonds, but alas, didn't find any.

On the way back, I pulled into the Hope Municipal Airport grounds. Goto http://maps.google.com and type in Hope Municipal Airport and then select Satellite. While it is an old photo, just look at the number of trailers!

The lady security guard was quite pleasant and when she asked what I needed, I exclaimed that "I haven't seen so many fricking trailers in my life." She laughed and said no pictures on property, but if I were to back up to the road, I could take all the pictures I wanted. I asked her how many trailers were on property and she estimated 33,000 - that's with days and days of shipping trailers to south Texas!

FEMA stores them here, refurbishes/repairs them, and then sends them where they are needed.

I took a couple of pictures, but can't get them uploaded at the moment due to our slow connection.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
WOW, kinda tough to land a airplane there right now, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wow...Didn't expect to see this...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Did the lady say 33,000 or 3,300? It just doesn't look like 33,000. But, knowing FEMA it's certainly possible. I'll bet that place is a real rat motel.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
She said 33,000. The google maps picture is old. As soon as I can get a couple of pictures that I took uploaded, I will do so. The amount of trailers went on for ACRES! Some had graphics and brand names, but most were just white, metal sided pull trailers. I didn't see any 5th wheels.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I posted some time ago on our return trip from New England, either Alabama or Mississippi had fields upon fields upon fields along the interstate filled with pull type trailers. they were packed in as close as they could get them. Miles of trailers - and if there ever was 33,000 they were sure in that location then.

And the people in Galveston and Beaumont are having a hard time finding a place to stay!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Noneck,

How did you capture the image from google?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I would bet 33,000 would be right. I think they moved some from other stageing areas to one or two spots. I hauled some of the fema trailers. Some fifth wheels got through at the start from dealers. Trailers from the manufactures were all towables. A large number did not have standard rv refrigerator and had sears cold spots, because people could put more food in them. I hauled to Lake Charles,LA to the old internatinonal airport and they had the main runway stacked both sides 3 deep side by side all the way down.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Michael,
I'll answer one way it can be done:

Get whatever you want on the computer screen to what ever size you want it. Hold the Alt key down and hit the Print Screen key. You will have a snapshot of the forward most screen on your computer.

Paste it and edit it in your favorite graphics program.

If you don't hold the alt key down you will get the whole screen instead of just the foreground screen.

Example:

Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right on Waynem...ALT-PrtSc copies the part of the screen that is "In Focus" or active if you have multiple windows open.
Then open "Paint" and use CTL-V (paste short cut) to paste it so you can then use the select tool to frame what you want and use CTL-S (copy short cut).
Last step is to then open IrFanView and CTL-V, then CTL-R (Resize short cut) and type 640 for width and let the height float, save as..type a file name, then use tinypic.com to get it to a forum usable command.
I've got this down to a 30-40 second sequence....btw that is still a whole lot of RV's!!!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Can't help in the computer stuff as it takes all of my IQ to just send emails and use some of the programs on the puter.

I can say that all of the trailers could be used by someone, if they weren't afraid that they will die because of the toxic fumes that are in the trailers. We are in a higher end RV, but working IKE losses full time, as many members are living their retirement dream fulltiming, so lots of us are not suffering from living in an RV. Lots of tents in San Leon, more damage there than any where we have been so far.

Wayne, can you post some of the pictures of San Leon? I really am upset that the news media hasn't posted any pictures on this area. They are so focused on the election that the people in need aren't getting any media. It looks like an atomic bomb went off in that area. I remember well what media focus was on Katrina, it looks like they are forgetting Texas.

I was in a laundry mat with three ladies in Kemah. One had no home at all, living out of her car with five kids. The second had an RV in the San Leon area and had lots of damage, and had three cats missing, the last was a police man's wife that had a flooded down stairs, but were happy that they had an upstairs to live in with their three daughters until they could rebuild their kitchen and living area.

So much damage in a huge area, and no media attention. Maybe we are working and missing the national media reports about the damage in this area.

We are in the stock market, getting the bad news about our retirement funds. But here in the trenchs seeing people without there house etc. just breaks my heart. Makes me feel that good that I still have a home.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen, as painful as your reports are, thank you for sharing the TRUTH.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Thank you Colleen!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Colleen and all,
Here is a re-post of pictures we took driving around.
Hurricane Ike