Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
Montana_3689

M.O.C. #3689
2001 2850rk

Hello all,
Been rving for awhile 20 yr's or so,
using motorhomes now trying the 5r route.
Looking at a 2001 2850rk that fits my bill to a T
but am a little worried about some of the frame problems,
axle problems etc. I called the seller he said the unit
had the 10 frame but havent checked myself as the rig if quite
a distance to run over and look. What issues will be specific to this
model ??
What can I look for other than general stuff since I am familiar
with most rv issues.

Thanks in advance.
skeetshooter

Montana_3689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
Montana_3318

M.O.C. #3318
The frame problem was suposed to be fixed when they went to the 10" frame. In February of this year the left rear spring shakel ripped out of the 10" frame on my 2000 Montana 3280. Keystone stated it was only the second 3280 they had heard of having the problem. They supplied a retro fit kit to strengthen the frame at each spring. I did a little negotiating and instead of fixing it got them to kick in a little more and made a deal with the local dealer to trade it in on a new 3670.

I still think they are a good unit and Keystone a quality company, good luck with your choice, and be careful out there.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skeetshooter

Hello all,
Been rving for awhile 20 yr's or so,
using motorhomes now trying the 5r route.
Looking at a 2001 2850rk that fits my bill to a T
but am a little worried about some of the frame problems,
axle problems etc. I called the seller he said the unit
had the 10 frame but havent checked myself as the rig if quite
a distance to run over and look. What issues will be specific to this
model ??
What can I look for other than general stuff since I am familiar
with most rv issues.

Thanks in advance.
skeetshooter

Montana_3318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Welcome to the MOC Skeetshooter. I have a 1999 2850RK with the 8" frame and 15" rims. Shortly after my puchase Keystone notified me of a recall because of problems they had with a very few units. Since my dealer was 300 miles away they let me pick a facility close by that had a certified welder, then sent the upgrade kit and paid to have it installed. Basically the kit added reenforcement plates where the spring hangers attach to the frame and braces between the hangers from side to side parallel to the axles. I've never had a problem and this rigs been in terrain most folks wouldn't take one. I recently spoke with a factory representative at an RV show and learned the problem appeared only with a few units that were delivered with the 8" frame and 16" rims and tires. It appeared to be a stress problem related to that particular combination and then only under certain conditions, in which cracks developed where the hangers attached to the frame, but the recall went out on all units. Shortly thereafter they went to a 10" frame, and I suspect before the 2001 models were built. I recommend you get the VIN number from the owner, then call Keystone and they should be able to tell you if the modification was done, or even necessary on that particular unit. They tracked them because they extended the warranty after the modification.

As to axle problems, you'll find posts regarding problems with both Alko & Dexter products I believe. Most refer to tire wear problems due to alignment, or shackle bolt wear. Kits are available to replace the shackle bolts with ones that can be lubricated, and the alignment problems could be due to a number of factors, one of which could be the axles weren't mounted in alignment when the frame was built and delivered to Keystone. I have the original tires on mine and they show no irregular wear pattern at all. A quick check can be made by measuring the center to center distance between the hubs on each side of the unit. Obviously if they aren't the same, something is amiss and tires will grind off.

Good luck in your decision,

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our first Montana was a 2001 2880RL and it had the 10-inch frame, so no problem. I would recommend as Searchers did, call Montana with the VIN. We've had several folks here report Keystone did the fix to the frames on the early models without charge even though they are the 2nd or 3rd owner and it's long out of warranty. But call to be sure. (574) 535-2100 and ask for customer service.

Good luck. Let us know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
Montana_3689

M.O.C. #3689
Thanks for your input all of you.
Montana_3689 is offline   Reply With Quote