Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Furnace issue

Things are really getting close. We have moved into the Montana which is parked in front of our old house. We signed the Doc's yesterday and should be able to pick up our check this afternoon. Final cleaning on the house and hopefully on the road tomorrow afternoon.

The issue we are having is the furnace is only working part time. If it lights when the thermostat calls for heat all is well. Other times, the fan starts and I can hear the igniter firing, but it does not light. After a period of time, it quits trying to light and the fan shuts off. If it does this, it just sets there and does not try to light again. This is bad in the middle of the night as it has been getting down to the high teens. If I turn the thermostat off and then back on, it will cycle through the lighting sequence and sometimes will light other times will not. Also seems that the burner is not burning to full efficiency. Funny odor near the vent when burning and it sounds funny. Propane pressure to the stove also seems lower than normal. Seems to work better during the day when it is warmer, lower 40's.

Local dealer, not a Montana dealer, will make a house call for $90 plus whatever it takes to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis and Carol

Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:56 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
This may be a stupid answer, but have you lifted the tanks to make sure they are full and fully turned on.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 AM   #3
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Yep, have propane and they are both turned on. I am having doubts about the regulator.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sounds like a leak in the lines or a frozen regulator. Make sure your bottles are full. If they are, shut off the bottles and open each line. Make sure your indicator goes red! Reconnect each line to the bottles handtight. Make sure the connector is fully engaged on the bottle. Then slowly.....repressurize the lines one bottle at a time. Make sure the bottle selector lever is not in mid position. Make sure the indicator goes green.

If you passed the indicator check then make sure furnace, fridge and stove are off gas. Close both bottle valves. The indicator should remain green for quite a while. If it goes to red immediately then you have a leak somewhere.

In the meantime invest in two ceramic electric heaters to use whenever your gas system fails. With two my trailer stays pretty comfortable but I have never tried it at 10 degrees. 25 is the lowest I have used them. You might blow a breaker while using them.

Just remember regulator will stick exactly when you don't want them to. They run about 40 dollars and are easy to replace. Would be wise to carry a spare.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 AM   #5
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Had a similiar problem last fall. Furnace wouldn't fire up yet the range worked fine. Went so far as pulling the furnace. Checked out fine on the bench. To make a long story short it was a kinked gas line from the regulator to the tank - on the passenger side. Dealer installed a shorter one and everything worked fine. The kink reduced the pressure enough to keep the furnace from igniting but the range is able to work with a lower pressure.
Hope this helps.
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
Had same problem earlier this year. Turned out to be a loose connection to the furnace "board". The furnace started working perfectly after a 500 mile drive. Everything wiggled back into place apparently.
BTW, dirt dobber nests clogging the air flow can cause a similar problem. Do you have a screen over the exhaust?
Montana_2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It seems I read this can happen also if the battery is not at full strength or at least above a certain voltage. It won't provide enough juice for the furnace to light. You might try a charger on the battery or hook it up to the truck with engine running for awhile. Or, if you're hitting the road now it might charge up while on the road and be fine after that. You might check the water level in the battery, too. Just wanted to add this to the other possibilities listed above.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Sometimes if you open the gas cylinder valve too quickly, the sudden surge of gas flow can trigger the excess flow valves to close, this limits, but does not completly stop the flow of gas. This usually occurs with the tank on the side away from the regulator. Try closing both tanks and removing the pigtails, this should reset the excess flow valves, then reconnect and open the valves very slowly starting with the regulator side one.

All the other suggestions are valid too, just one more to try.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:30 AM   #9
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Thanks to all that responded. Mel wins the prize. After making this post, I called the service manager at our Montana dealer. Explained the problem to him. Of course he wanted me to bring it in to be looked at. Explained that was not an option as we planned on leaving today. Mentioned to him that I felt it was a propane problem. He agreed and ask if I might have a kinked gas hose. It was in the hose from the bottom of the regulator to the coach. I had noticed the kink soon after we had taken delivery, but it had never seemed to affect anything so I had not repaired it. I subscribe to the theory that "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT". Tried to just reroute the line but it was too short and kept the propane tank from setting correctly. Two brass elbows, 2 short nipples and a little pipe dope redirected the line and now all is well. The furnace seems to also be working to greater efficiency so it may also help the frig., stove and hot water tank. Again, thanks to all.

The plan is to wrap up the last of the loose ends and be on the road to our new life in about 4 hours. Not sure when we will again have access to the internet but will check back to MOC when we can.

Dennis & Carol
Old 02-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20

Yea, that has to be a big relief to you! Hope all goes well from here on out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
along the same line is there any maint. that needs to be done to the furance. I didnt find any in the book but does it need oil or cleaning, also I was thinking of puting a filter on the inlet under the stove ??
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote