Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
And This Is A New Trailer!

Spoke with the dealer this morning since they had promised we could pick up our 2980 this afternoon to leave on a trip tomorrow. Our landing gear "went south" on our first trip with it and we had to take it in to the dealer when we got home, 2-1/2 weeks ago. Keystone sent out the new parts, but since the dealer didn't open the package immediately, they didn't know till yesterday a.m. that the parts weren't all there. They called Keystone right away, but the right parts still didn't get there today. The dealer did get approval to "cannabalize" a stocked unit so they can get us back together, but we won't get the rig till sometime on Friday. Oh Well. . . .

Another issue is that they now say they have to take out the shower wall to fix the noisy water pump. Not quite sure I understand, but the dealer says it's a combination of a bad pump and water lines that are not isolated. Shari says if she can tell that it's been worked on they'll never hear the end of it.

While I'm not thrilled about the delay, I do appreciate the final effort and their willingness to pull parts from a stocked unit. Most dealers would rather die than do that. Any way, when we get back from this trip we take it back in for the rest of the fixes. They get another 2-1/2 weeks to work on it before the next trip. Makes me wonder why I pay $150 a month for storage, I just keep taking it to the dealer after each trip!

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
On thing I think that is really needed for forum members is a comprehensive acceptance checklist to include all of the problems found on the forum. That way you don't have to take delivery until everything is right.

I have never missed a trip due to downtime on Lil Monty. I don't want one where initial construction has to be completed on my time.

I think the way I am going to do it is schedule a day for full power acceptance testing before delivery and turning in my trade in. If it fails and they need several weeks to complete construction then I still have lil Monty.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
There was a checklist posted on the this board back in December. We use it to purchase our 2955. The things that our talked about on this board would make a grest check list. I spent four hours going over the unit and the dealer had a team of four people right behind me fixing things. When you combine the comments on this baord and a pre-delivery checklist you'll be very happy with your purchase decision. Those things that were not fix that day were fixed the next because we ran out of time. Basic financial rule is "the present valve of money" - while its in your hands its easier to negotiate. When you give it to the dealer you give away that right. It is much easier to get things done before you exchange your money for the Monty. We made sure everything was taken care of prior to delivery. You'll really find out what your dealer is made out of. Ours is fanastic group sales and service people here in San Antonio area.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, it sounds like that "trade itch" of yours has progressed from "if" to "when"! It's gonna get you, buddy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's that PDI Checklist that travelingman mentioned.

Now we gotta put together a list of additional items/problems discovered by the MOCers on this forum.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks Glenn. I save it as a text file and I will start adding to it.

Steve,

I am still recovering from the RV Show. I would like to upgrade but I guess I can wait a year. We really like lil Monty. If I gave it up for a stack of problems I would be pretty upset.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't blame you, Tom. We kinda feel the same way about ours.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Bill Hill, we felt the same way - dealer had our unit for three months the last time in. Thankfully all is fixed, now just to get to use her.

Tom & Steve - we get the itch also but like you all everything is fixed and would hate to start over again with new problems after all we went through with this one.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Montana_3020
Established Member

M.O.C. #3020
For all of you waiting a year we have been looking at a 3650RK and the dealer indicated that the newer models of all Montanas will not have a sliding door or curtain to seperate the bath from the bedroom starting this month from the factory. Does anyone have a 3650 and how do they like it? Can anyone tell me if 47K for this unit is a good price?
Montana_3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Rono, welcome aboard! Can't help you with the 3650 but maybe we can get you to a place on the forum where more people will see your question.

If you'll scroll up to the top of this thread, click on General Discussions. When that page opens, click on General. When that one opens, look over farther to the right and click on New Topic. There you can put in a topic that will draw the attention of 3650 owners, maybe something like "questions about 3650RK". This sounds worse than it is. If you need any help with this, just reply to this post and we'll try to help you. Good luck with it. All I know about the 3650 is it's a beautiful rig and there are several here who own that model. It's one of the top sellers, from what I hear.

I see you are from Rose Hill. I lived in Wichita from about age 4 through the middle of 5th grade (long, long ago).