Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #21
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have our unit parked on a seasonal site most of the time, so we use the same one Glen has. That way we also keep our unit safe from someone pulling up and taking our Monty when we're not there. Never even considered that a problem until the end of last season when someone took our firewood, portable firepit and gas can while we were gone to the MOC rally. Of course, no one saw anything.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 AM   #22
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
After having our 2750 for a year we added a 2 leg stabilizer on the pin. This did an amazing job at stabilizing the unit but a friend also has the wheel chocks and swears by them. I think I'll try the frame jacks on our new rig.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #23
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Some time when you see some one setting up and they are using a stabilizer, ask if you could push on the side of the rig be for and after they use the stabilizer. There will be a noticeable difference. Believe me. We use front and rear stabilizers for any stay longer than two days.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #24
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
we've been fifth wheel owners for 11 years now and learned a trick from a guy at a campground. he had made some blocks for feet for his lifting jacks. the blocks sit on top of each other (two on each side) and form a small pyramid. when the blocks are out from under the trailer you turn them upside down and they fit inside each other (this cuts down on storage area). the trick to the blocks is, the jack legs are not extended so far and the trailer is very stable and doesn't require a pin stabilizer.

hope this helps, jim

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cardshark

Being new to fifth wheels I have a question. Do I need a king pin stabilizer jack for my 2005 3670RL? I have been told I do and that I do not need one. Also why is there such a big difference in the pricing of the jacks? Some are around 80.00 and others are around 170.00. Which one would be best? Thanks for the help.
Boyd and Shirley Dillon
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 AM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cardshark

Being new to fifth wheels I have a question. Do I need a king pin stabilizer jack for my 2005 3670RL? I have been told I do and that I do not need one. Also why is there such a big difference in the pricing of the jacks? Some are around 80.00 and others are around 170.00. Which one would be best? Thanks for the help.
Boyd and Shirley Dillon
Like some of the others, we had a bipod type for several years. We too, were told that it would stabilize the rig. However, we didn't notice one lick of difference whether we used it or not. We did discover that using a good type wheel chock really helped the forward and back motion of the rig when parked. I sold my bipod stabilizer for $75 to someone who "just had to have one." I was glad to get rid of the extra weight that I was carrying around in the back of my truck.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nutts

we've been fifth wheel owners for 11 years now and learned a trick from a guy at a campground. he had made some blocks for feet for his lifting jacks. the blocks sit on top of each other (two on each side) and form a small pyramid. when the blocks are out from under the trailer you turn them upside down and they fit inside each other (this cuts down on storage area). the trick to the blocks is, the jack legs are not extended so far and the trailer is very stable and doesn't require a pin stabilizer.

hope this helps, jim
Jim, how high would you say those blocks were? I've seen similar on other rigs and figured it might help stability. I'd think the higher they are the wider the base would need to be to avoid inducing instability because of the blocks. I'm interested in building something like this.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote