Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Propane outlets

I am in the process of adding a Propane heater, I think I want a small fan forced 'Blue Flame' type, it looks like the smallest will be a 20,000BTU. I will try and vent it out if possible, don't know if I can do that with these types of heaters. Also it would be good if I could build it into the cabinet, or an interior wall, because of the size of the 20K, probably not doable. I could the smaller 6 to 10K probably, but don't know if they would be big enough, and they are not available with the small lineal fan I want. (Small, quiet, very low amp. draw.)
So, I am thinking a couple of outlets with quick-disconnect gas connections in different parts of the 5th wheel with a 10' or so flex (Propane approved) rubber, or rubber-covered gas line.
Here is a slick permanently mounted disconnect outlet and a good source for such fittings.

Your ideas appreciated.

http://www.gashosesandregulators.com...surehoses.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Ozz we use a 10,000 blue flame in our 2955rl. That size heats your size camper well, I run the ceiling fan to move air around. We find that the warm air moves to the bedroom area on its own and will be warmer that the lower area. The blue flame we have stands on its own with leg and we use a 10 foot hose to make to portable. I taped into the gas line going to the water heater.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Dennis, I was wondering how the 10K would do. is there wall, or cabinet space in your 2955RL to attach, or build it in?
Also, would the heat from the front and top be too much for the close-contact of the attachment?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Ozz, we have two of these in the office here at the cg (see link)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KRZDC72YQT5KZB

We have issues with one of them, in that there is a cabinet above it. I measured the distance, there's 14-3/8" clearance. I lasered the cabinet the other day when the heater had been fired up for 15 minutes...cabinet bottom was 252 degrees. Heater is mounted into the wall, with 4-1/2" face exposed. These are vent-free, with no fan.
Just an FYI.....
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, the no fan/recessed idea bothers me also. I think if the heater had a small fan, the 14" would probably...(May) work.
Thanks for looking into that.
Sue and I just came in from the Monte, we are strongly moving toward a heater on legs. Orv was describing how that worked well for him.
We can put it away when not in use.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
We have legs on the one we use Ozz. With my camper only having the two slide and (if I remember you have a 3400) your extra slides I'd move up one size on the heater. We use the forced air heater to bring the camper up to temp. and then the blue flame works fine.

This is close to what I have
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Prop...6258986&sr=8-5

Ours has a thermostat not sure the one at Amazon does.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz a 20k will more than take care of your rv. the blue flame is the one we installed last summer in my friends mountaineer. I think it will work great let us know when you get it installed.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Bobbie, I like the fan and thermostat on the 20K.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Just curious, why is there a need for another heater? Is the stock one not good enough, you need more heat or do you just need to spend your money on something?

thanks
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

Just curious, why is there a need for another heater? Is the stock one not good enough, you need more heat or do you just need to spend your money on something?

thanks
Mike, we plan on doing more 'Off grid' camping. The Propane furnace we all have on our trailers pulls quite a bit of 12 volt power when the fan runs, it would almost deplete the stock 12 volt battery in one afternoon and all night of running, then there is the Propane usage, the stock furnace is only around 40% efficient, you lose 60% in the exhaust, so that depletes your on-board Propane. For extended stays without replenishment, the small heaters work super.
They are around 99% efficient, and use little or no electricity, depending on the model. The 20,000 BTU with fan model uses less than 1/2 amp of electricity.
We don't plan on being in severe cold weather, heating the underbelly is not an issue, so the small Propane heaters will keep the interior comfortable.
Good questions.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

thanks
Mike, we plan on doing more 'Off grid' camping. The Propane furnace we all have on our trailers pulls quite a bit of 12 volt power when the fan runs, it would almost deplete the stock 12 volt battery in one afternoon and all night of running, then there is the Propane usage, the stock furnace is only around 40% efficient, you lose 60% in the exhaust, so that depletes your on-board Propane. For extended stays without replenishment, the small heaters work super.
They are around 99% efficient, and use little or no electricity, depending on the model. The 20,000 BTU with fan model uses less than 1/2 amp of electricity.
We don't plan on being in severe cold weather, heating the underbelly is not an issue, so the small Propane heaters will keep the interior comfortable.
Good questions.
Thanks for explanation, Ozz. That makes sense. Now you got me looking at one. Thought the OEM heaster was more efficient than that. They do make a good hand warmer when you are outside. LOL
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote