Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
benwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9708
leaking roof

Any suggestions for a leaking roof in our 2010 3665? We are in St. Louis, Mo. visiting family for Thanksgiving and it's raining cats and dogs. Now the rain is coming in over where else, the bed?
We have had so many problems with this unit and Keystone has been very uncooperative about standing behind this rig.
We would love to get rid of it and start over with another company.
Their shoddy workmanship has been constant problems since we picked it up.

benwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check the rubber boot on the antenna on the roof. It may have worked its way up the cable... Have you had problems with your dealer or working with Keystone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Sorry to hear of your problems and we hope with perseverance and a little help from this forum that things may get better. We have a 2010 that we have had for 6 months and about 70 nights and have had only 2 very minor problems, so hopefully you can get a few things worked out.

As for the leak there are two things I would look at. Firstly the obvious being the roof vent. Look for any cracks in it or any cracks in the caulked seal around it. Secondly and the most suspect is the are of the antennae. Again the seal could be suspect but more importantly look at where the RG 6 cable(?) goes through the base into the rig. We all have a Little rubber sealing cap to cover that join secured down with some caulking. It's possible this cap has lifted from the seal and needs to be reset and re caulked. Just the first two things I could think of, hope one of these helps, keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Check the roof caulking around the antenna. I recently had water dripping from the antenna knob and when I looked the caulking had a small crack where the base of the antenna sits on the roof. I think wind blowing the antenna back and forth did it. I scraped some of the old caulking off and got a tube of the Dicor self leveling caulking from the dealer and re-caulked the antenna and that took care of the problem.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By awaywego

Check the roof caulking around the antenna. I recently had water dripping from the antenna knob and when I looked the caulking had a small crack where the base of the antenna sits on the roof. I think wind blowing the antenna back and forth did it. I scraped some of the old caulking off and got a tube of the Dicor self leveling caulking from the dealer and re-caulked the antenna and that took care of the problem.
The same thing happened to ours and I repaired it in the same way. That was 2 years ago and haven't had a leak since. I also slid the rubber cap up and filled the cavity with the same stuff.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Quote:
quote:By awaywego

The same thing happened to ours and I repaired it in the same way. That was 2 years ago and haven't had a leak since. I also slid the rubber cap up and filled the cavity with the same stuff.
Ditto here. Ours was leaking eight years ago and it was the boot over the coax on the antenna. Put some clear sealant on the coax and slid the boot down over it. Hasn't leaked since.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree with Rich...the dealer needs to hear about a 2010 model having a leaky roof.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
The rubber boot on the cable going through the roof for the antenna has been the source of a leak for many. It can easily be pushed back down and with a little sealant should prevent it from happening again. After pushing mine back down and sealing it, I put a zip-tie on the cable above the boot to prevent it from ever working its way back up again. Check the boot first and let us know what you find.

If it is your dealer telling you that Keystone is unwilling to stand behind it's warranty or is reluctant to approve or make repairs, I would be contacting Keystone Customer Service directly. Also a letter written to Keystone expressing your concerns and dissatisfaction WILL generate a response.

Jack