Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Bedroom slide moves out while traveling

Just returned from a short camping trip and had a bit of a problem with the bedroom slide. Within 130 miles I noticed it creeping open twice. The first time it was out about two inches. Then second I caught sooner. Using the remote I was able to power it back into position while moving. I have also noted this room open about 6 to 8 inches while sitting at home over night. Has anyone been experiencing this issue and if so, have you determined toe cause/problem? I may have to haul it to my dealer if this continues.

Thanks,
KT

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Slufoot733

Just returned from a short camping trip and had a bit of a problem with the bedroom slide. Within in 130 miles I noticed it creeping open twice. The first time it was out about two inches. Then second I caught sooner. Using the remote I was able to power it back into position while moving. I have also noted this room open about 6 to 8 inches while sitting at home over night. Has anyone been experiencing this issue and if so, have you determined toe cause/problem? I may have to haul it to my dealer if this continues.

Thanks,
KT
We had the same problem with the LR slide. Turned out to be the check valve in the hydraulic pump was bad. Replaced the pump - $550 - under extended warranty.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, I take it the check valve is not a serviceable item?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I believe some folks have had similar problem and the cause turned out to be an "O" ring somewhere in the vicinity of the pump. But I cannot recall any details. Someone will come along to give you some more info.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have had 2 pumps and one cylinder replaced in the last 3 yrs. The last time it took 5 mos. for Lippert to honor the warranty. The have the service guys do several test that they don't get paid for. If it happens again I will take it to Lippert in La Grande Oregon.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'll have to watch for this. I haven't had the problem so far. Maybe I'll get lucky and never have the problem (fingers crossed while I'm typing this).
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Try shutting off your bedroom slide valve streetside where your manual front jack switch is. In a fashion this isolates the bedroom slide cylinder from the rest of the hydraulic system. If it still creeps out, it more than likely the piston seal inside the cylinder ... non serviceable for most. If it doesn't creep out any more then lean towards the pump check valve or a leak in a hose or fitting. It doesn't have to be the bedroom hoses either as hydraulics move to the least resistance in a closed system.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I had this problem for a little while, and then one time out in the boondocks I noticed a fair amount of hydraulic oil leaking down the street-side landing gear leg as I was retracting the slides. It turned out that one of the slide selector knob valves was loose at the manifold and had extruded the o-ring from its seat.

Luckily, I had a complete selection of o-rings with me out in the middle of nowhere. I replaced the o-ring and tightened the valve back up and all has been fine since. No more creeping slide or oil leak.

While I was at it, I removed the manifold from its mounted position and tightened all of the connections and valves on the entire manifold. I was very surprised at how they were not at all as tight as they should have been.

CAUTION: If you decide to check and tighten the valve fittings down yourself, make sure that the needle is not seated in the closed position when you do so, or you will damage the valve seat and needle.

Of course, this may not be your problem at all, but is something to check out.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
We also had the bedroom slide creeping out on the bottom of the slide. After 2 years the good people at Keystone had Lippert come to the service centre at the fall rally and changed the pump. They also installed selector valves as the Mountaineer does not come with them.

Yesterday I noticed that the bedroom slide was starting to creep out again. Closed the valve for the bedroom slide and hope this works.
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Wow, I take it the check valve is not a serviceable item?
Steve,
It probably is but with an extended warranty on the rig, it was easier for the dealer just to replace the entire pump.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #11
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Just had mine repaired and it was a hydraulic cylinder bypassing. The cylinder was under 300.00 but wholesale was less than 100.00. That is what I saw on the repair order from CW.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
We had this issue on our 2010 3400RL. It took two trips to dealer and two trips to Keystone to find and fix the problem. Most things were tried that were mentioned here with no success. What Keystone and Lipert discovered was one or more of the valves would slowly release the pressure it was suppose to hold and let the slides come out. If you shut off the bedroom slide, it would just push out another one. Over night my slide(s) might open 6-7 inches and of course the same while traveling if I failed to watch them and retract them with the remote. Apperently this is a bigger problem than I first thought. I thought my problem was a fluke, but it doesn't sound like it is. Good luck with your repair.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm not the only one to experience this. I plan to call my dealer for a discussion. The fiver is put away for the winter right now so it will be first on the list for spring, 2011. I'll make sure my dealer knows I'm coming to see him.

Thanks again,

KT
Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We were told at the fall rally that when you close your slides ,also close your valves in the remote box on the street side of the unit. I had the desk slide going out but not since i now close the valves, no problem;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Well, here's the next page:

After closing the bedroon slide I shut off the valve as suggested above. Guess what....the other small slide (entertainment center and desk)is now moving outward. It seems there is some pressure somewhere in the system. I will be on the phone to my dealer very soon. First I have to have a !@#%$!&* RADIATOR LEAK FIXED in my tow vehicle with all of 20613 miles on it! SHEESH!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
afzimm
Established Member

M.O.C. #10901
We have an older Montana (2000) Our living room was inching out, turned out to be a bad cylinder. It was leaking hydraulic fluid out of the business end where the ram slides in and out. My pump works fine but the hydraulic system has to be able to hold hydraulic pressure to prevent "creeping slides". I am going to buy a cylinder of the correct dimensions from a wholesale company.
afzimm is offline   Reply With Quote