Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
portable generator in exsisting box

I bought a suburu 2000w gen and it fits great in my generator box on the monty, I know I have to route the exhaust out somewhere and i put sound deadening in the encloseure I test fired it up and it is really quiet in and out of the 5th does anyone think of a problem with this setup??

Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
This thing is gas? If so, I'd worry about the vent and how are you going to refuel it? You'll be adding another fuel source to that area...which has LP and Hydrogen from batteries both are configured to keep fumes from hanging in the enclosure.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It is gas and refueling won't be a problem the gas cap is on top it is easy to access with a funnel there is alot of room in there I was just trying to figure out where to plumb the exhaust to keep the heat and fumes away from inside the enclousure,and also this generator is for back up in case the power goes out in my resort which will be seldom i never boondock so it will never be my main source of power that is why I bought a small enclosed gen
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You might look into some of those computer cooling fans (called muffin fans). They are cheap, small, and I think you can get them in 12 volt.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, make sure you have air circulation for the engine and also for you own safety as that engine is not designed for that parrticular area. You do not want any type of gases to build up or pocket in the area when you door is shut to the compartment. Safety First!!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
thanx Tom great idea about the muffin fan went out and bought one today for cheap!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
BigSkyJimmy,
Never ever run the generator in the basement without the exhaust being vented directly outside. The regulation generators I've seen had the exhaust down back toward rear of trailer. I've seen some that had it directed toward outside edge. I'd not do that since the bedroom is directly above that. And if a window is open the gases would go directly into rig.

And the exhaust must be a direct connection type. Not something that you just point the genny's exhaust at and hope it will exit the compartment. Not a good idea.

Actually running a stand alone type generator in the basement is NOT a good idea and I will never do it again. And I'd advise you to never do it.

We tried running our 2002EUi in the front basement once. I had the door open and there was a strong wind blowing directly into basement so I thought it would be OK. It was until the wind shifted directions and then stopped. It took only a couple of minutes for the rig to fill with exhaust fumes. They set off every alarm we have in the trailer. Turned off the genny and it took an hour for the rig to clear up.
Good luck but don't do it.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hey Dennis I hear ya I would never put it the basement storage but i am putting it in the enclosed sealed off gen compartment that is already there for and wired for a gen i will run the exhaust away from any windows
Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
No gasoline run machinery in my trailer, thank you very much!!! Having a propane stove, water heater, and furnace is as much as I care to worry about.

Much simpler to just put the genny outside on the ground for those rare times it is needed.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I would agree with being careful on this topic. It is too easy to get gas fumes, just sitting there, in a somewhat enclosed place and when a spark source, such as the front jack's motor, it is easy to have an explosion.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yea guys I've been thinking it would NOT be a good idea to put the port gen in exsisiting encousure, worried about refuling and spilling fuel all over the hot manifold an exhaust pipe so i just built an enclousure outside out of plywood lined with fiberglass insulation inside, the front panel i left space at the top and bottom for the exhaust and fumes AND put a hole in the back panel and mounted a fan to blow the heat and fumes out through the front and also made the top easy to lift off to refuel and now it is real quiet and safe! Thanx for the advice!