Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
MOR/ryde Xfactor

We are going to miss the end of the Fall Rally by about 5 days but, since we will be passing by Elkhart I am thinking about dropping into MOR/ryde and having the "wet bolt" kit installed and maybe the Xfactor Crossmembers added.

The question that comes up is how many to add?

One, two, three or more?

Those of you that have added the Xfactor Crossmembers,how many did you add and why did you pick that number?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Are you asking about how many X-factor beams? I don't have them but I believe for two axles you'll need 3 to give the best in strength against the dual axle flexing. One set each in the front, center and rear of the wheel/axles. For 3 axle suspensions I imagine there would be a fourth. Anything less that this and I would think the system is not as good unless you had the full complement installed. I would certainly be curious to know the reasoning for any less than these numbers. Are you also implying you already have one or two? Then there's the choice in which location (front, center or rear) would be best. I didn't realize there was so much to think about with the X-Factors.

If you are asking about the number of shackle/wet bolts, they will replace the existing shackles, nuts and bolts for your suspension as a set - again no need to know how many are required because it depends on your suspension. These I do have and in the 3.5 years I have not seen any abnormal wear of the shackles, nuts or bolts. The prior factory set of shackles, nuts and bolts were a mess when they were replaced after only 1.5 years.

Enjoy your mods. Let us know what you do so the rest of us can drool.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Grant,
Your unit probably has the wet bolts already, however if you get the X-Factor for the three point system it will come with new longer wet bolts for the points where the X-Factor connects.(front spring front eye, the rear spring rear eye, and the center point comes with longer bolts that connects the X-Factor to the Rubber Equalizer)

I have the X-Factor and I believe it makes for more lateral support for the frame and springs. There does not appear to be so much of the wheel kick out for the lack of a better description. I picked it up at MorRyde and installed it myself.

The center point third X-Factor I would think would help with more of the lateral support. Might make for less stress on the LRE bracket.

Joe

On Edit, I should have stated your unit may or may not already have wet bolts. I know some 2010s came with wet bolts.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I bought the wet bolt kit and the center x-factor and plan on installing both when the weather cools. No reason for selecting just the center and probably should do all three but since its a home project, it will give me something to do in the spring if I decide the front and rear are necessary. Since you will be at the factory and installation is free, I recommend you go for the whole works.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I spoke to Ben at MOR/Ryde a few days ago regarding the X Factor installation. Ben informed me the rear beam takes the most stress, the front beam takes a little less than the rear. The middle one usually takes the least. He indicated that he sees most failures on the rear spring hangers and usually the driver's side. Ben suggested installing all three. MOR/Ryde will be offering a 20% discount at the Fall Rally.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Grant,

I recommend that call or email Ben Wiginton,Mor/Ryde's Service Manager in Elkhart.

Email: ben.wiginton@morryde.com
Toll Free: 866-990-7433 ext.219

Mor/Ryde does not seem to oversell. Ben has been responsive and professional in his dealings with us in the past. You can even stay there in the back of their shop with hookups for free. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I found MorRyde to be fairly up and up and I stayed there also while they did my IS conversion. I'm just not sure why these Lippert Frames need so much additional work. Follow this: Lippert makes a frame, gets paid from Keystone and whoever else buys their products, then MorRyde produces a product to make them better. I wonder if there is a family connection here, probably not, I guess I'm just being super critical of the industry. I guess there is always a better mousetrap.

BTW: Ben Wiginton is a very helpful individual, although he did try and sell me some used tires and a TV mount. Would I do the IS again? You bet!!! Would I trust Ben? You bet!!! Since you are buying a new trailer Grant, why not go for the best? The IS includes the appropriate bracing. Good luck in whatever you do........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
After breaking the left rear hanger and doing a temporary weld/repair in Kentucky I had the repaired hanger replaced by Morryde in Elkhart and the X-Factor installed, all three crossmembers, sure seems a lot more solid on sharp turn back ins with a lot less creaking an noises under the trailer. I only wonder what now becomes the weak link instead of the spring hangers.
Fred
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Although, I bought my 2010 3400RL at the end of March, it was built last September and does not have the wet bolts.

I have been in email contact with Ben.

The question of how many X Factor Crossmembers came up because Ben asked me "How many I wanted?". It hadn't occured to me that the number of Crossmembers was an option.

"Since you will be at the factory and installation is free, I recommend you go for the whole works."
Ben, hasn't said anything about "FREE" installation; in fact he gave me a price for the labor to install the wet bolts.

Phil, I just sent an email to Ben asking for the price of installing IS suspension. With IS suspension would I need either the wet bolts or the X Factor supports?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Grant, the IS does not have springs, hence no wet bolts and they install crossmembers to support the new wheel components..I am SO glad I do not have to worry about the suspension as I travel. I also feel the IS is a great investment on an expensive product, although you will pay dearly for it. It's funny about costs, because some would say you can get many bolts replaced for the price of the system, however, for me it was also a safety factor. Being somewhat mechanically challenged, I do not have the expertise to SPOT potential problems.....The Kodiak disc brakes are also a great improvement. Also the "Never Lube" Dexter hubs are supposed to be "maintenance Free" for 100k miles, (We'll see about that one)...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote