Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Lost 110 Power

I have my Montana plugged into the house on a 30amp circuit for it only. My wife went into the trailer this morning and there was no power. When I came home I checked the breaker boxes and the power booster/surge protector still no power. All connections were good. I then pulled the trailer end of the power cable and 3 of the 4 wires where loose or out of the plug and the one that was out looked like it had been that way for awhile. When we where at Seven Feathers and another camp we had problems I thought it was my surge protector now I think it was the loose wires in the plug. Everything is tightned up and working properly now. So now this is one more thing to check when one has electrical problems.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad it was an easy fix.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Good find, Don. It costs us $75 to find the same problem. We had power to the back half but not the front half. Ours was 2 loose wires.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don-- It cost me a service call by an RV Tech on our way back from the Fall Rally. Shorepower went out and 12 volt came on! Check breakers inside and out and inside had popped. Reset it and popped again. Went outside and checked CG post and breaker and OK. Could smell something burning or hot! Went to check the cord at the Monte and it was HOT and I mean HOT! Shut off breaker at pedistal and unplugged shorepower cord. Went to take cord off Monte and had problem taking it off. When I got it into the light, one of the wires had come loose and burned it's way through the female receptical causing the short and popping of the breaker. Lucky we caught it or it might have burned the unit down from overheating at the hookup on the Monte! Tech came out took it off and was going to repair it then but it was pouring rain and we told him we could live the night on battery. He was back at 8 AM with a new cord end and hooked up the cord and we had power. Cost us about the same for the call and materials but well worth it, since I didn't realize the wire had come off and shorted out. Before going out anymore, I always check the screws connecting the wires to the receptical and the plug. Learned my lesson!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Don,
At 7 Feathers I noticed your lights blinking all night long. You mean it was a loose wire all the time?
Jus Teasin!
Don't forget my SubWoofer! See you at Q. Merry Christmas
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
No I had a fuse plugged into the running lights and the 12v power lead. My CPAP cutout during the night twice while there. I think Carl had a flasher on his lights.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
The braided wire at the shore power plug-in can also work loose. With the suggestion of another member here you should solder those wires then reconnect to the trailer plug. The loose wire can be another source of heat build up!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We had that happen to us, too. It was about our second trip out.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote