Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
12 volt power question

I'm experiencing the lights getting bright and dim and the furnace blower speed changing.It seems like the 12 volt power is raising and dropping.Has anyone had this situation.I have no open lights on the IOTA panel on.Battery is new

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
Gary 1.ck the breaker for the IOTA if its off or triped the batt. will not chg.
2. ck the batt.how old? water? dead cell? volts? Auto Zone will test it if you take it in to them
3. ck for lose wires on the batt. and the chg.
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Are you connected to shore power? I would look at the output of the inverter.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by garyka

I'm experiencing the lights getting bright and dim and the furnace blower speed changing.It seems like the 12 volt power is raising and dropping.Has anyone had this situation.I have no open lights on the IOTA panel on.Battery is new
The 12 volt lights getting brighter is your convert recharging or trying to recharge the battery. When the IOTA recharges it puts out more than the 12VDC.
IOTA has a small box "IQ-4 smart charger" that I strongly recommend.
I believe with out the IQ-4 you have two stages, trickle and max charge. With the IQ-4 it has three states and it will flash a LED telling you what stage it is in. The three stages are Max charge, Steady charge, and trickle charge.
My old IOTA boiled the battery.

I suggest you call IOTA and ask them and make sure I am correct. If so I feel the IQ-4 is worth the less than $30. I am a gadget guy and like to know what is happening.

Merry Christmas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys I have a 06 That we got new in july 05. It still has the same bat a interstate I think It still keeps the lites burning. Now I dont no how long it would stay up. But I keep it plugged up in my back yard all the time. It has lasted 4 And 1/2 Yrs do you think keeping it plugged up may have helped.
John I want one of those IQ-4 Chargers where did you get it.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote