Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Brake Line - Kaput

Pulled into a campground in Amarillo, TX and when unhooking I found I had no brakes at all. The fluid had been pushed out by the right front wheel. I really feel we were being looked out for because it could have happened on I-40 anywhere. Will call Road Service tomorrow and have this old Ford towed to the garage for repairs. What's frustrating is that I just spent $1,600 for a brake job and other incidentals in Victorville, CA last week!

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Orv, you are right. You are being watched out for. We are so glad that you found it when you did and that it did not find you when you were traveling.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I agree about being watched over; we’ve had that to happen to us also upon arriving on a campground once, just after going over the mountains and into Williamsburg. At that time we were in a M/H. I can say that I’m much happier now if something like that happens again where we’re likely to only have to deal with the Tow Vehicle separate from the camper. It’s great to be towing the Monty!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Wow,that is scarry. Are you going to call the shop in Ca. ?
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Was it the steel one or rubber one. If the steel one it could have rusted from the inside and you would never know and if the rubber one then the place that repaired the brakes did not do their job.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

Wow,that is scarry. Are you going to call the shop in Ca. ?
The garage in Amarillo called them yesterday. I will write them a letter about my concerns. The garage here said these things can happen and I understand that. I'm just thankful that we didn't have an accident. It could have been disastrous.

Orv
Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

Was it the steel one or rubber one. If the steel one it could have rusted from the inside and you would never know and if the rubber one then the place that repaired the brakes did not do their job.
Mick, haven't had a chance to talk to the mechanic yet. I will talk to him when I pick up the truck as to exactly went wrong. I'd like to be able to tell the CA Ford dealer just exactly what happened; maybe they might reimburse me a little bit.

Orv
Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Please post the results of your misfortune- We are all very interested in what failed and what we can do to catch this type of failure before it happens to us- We are glad you and yours were not injured- Surely, you are being watched over- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandJudy_12

Please post the results of your misfortune- We are all very interested in what failed and what we can do to catch this type of failure before it happens to us- We are glad you and yours were not injured- Surely, you are being watched over- Don
It isn't something that you would normally catch after a repair job. Mechanic in Amarillo said that the garage in Victorville didn't do the job properly and the calipers overheated, allowing a piston in the mechanism to be pushed out, allowing all the brake fluid to drain out. We had all new pads, rotors and calipers installed again in Amarillo. Haven't queried the Victorville garage yet to see what they'll do for me, if anything. If they decide not to help me out, my next step will be to Highways Magazine.

Orv
Old 05-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That is a very fortunate story. I think what helped is that you were towing your trailer. It must have been the trailer brakes that stopped you since the truck was FUBAR. I think if you weren't towing there might have been a different result that I do not want to think about.

This sounds like a classic brake shop screwup. The brake dudes should have caught parts that need to be replaced (they make more money that way), but it's hard to catch screwups when we'd like to trust the repairman (in this case a brake technician).

Take care and stay safe.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote