Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Car Alarm / Home Alarm

PUT CAR KEYS REMOTE BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

Quote:
quote:Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar rapist won't stick around... After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ..... This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.
This is new to me.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Good idea John. Bet this will make a lot of people feel safer in their homes!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Good information, Also I read where a couple ages 26/27 died of Carbinoxied poisining.. they did not use their alarm system.. So please check you system and make sure the batteries are good.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Another Great idea! You are really looking out for us Gunny, Thanks.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Great idea for those that dont have a home alarm system, another good thing to add to TOP is a motion detector lights that will turn and light up the perimitor of the house. that is a big deturant along with the vehicle alarm system blasting away.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
As long as the motion lights don't light up with every deer or other critter or the motion of the tree limbs in the wind. Those lights can be a pain. I've installed them on customers homes and then had to make several trips back to try to adjust them. In some cases, we've taken them back down.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Great idea! Another good example of the benefits of this forum.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great tip John. I am the neighborhood watch captain, I will pass it on.
I think they elected me the watch captain after one day 25 or so years ago, I was blasting the Mole and Ground-hog furrows with my M1 carbine.
We test our alarm here at the house once a month, I wired in extra horns front and back with a small relay, you can hear my house alarm a mile away.
Sam's has a slick 400 watt flood-light with a built-in video camera, (and recorded warning) it takes quite a few pictures, then you download the chip in your USB port. The whole deal is around $70.00
Jim, I know what you are talking about, I have had to remove some too. I have adjusted all of mine a zillion times, the neighborhood cats still set them off. I think it's Ok to have them go off from time to time, lets the neighbors know not to prowl around your home.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I dont care if a cat or a posoum sets mine off, I have them set to stay on for 3 min then go off. thats first thing that will make an intruder leave, is light and noise. there like a rat staying in the shadows all the time.