Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Wishing for a white Xmas?

You may end up like us. Toooooo much!!!!. We are snowed in for the first time in years. We had 18" on the ground and it has snowed hard since midnight last night. We are approaching 3'. I know some of you folks in the NE think nothing of that amount. The locals here say this is the most snow in 35 years. Tomorrow we can fire up the tractor and clean our driveways, but than it may be days before the snow plow comes by on this lonely county road. The bad news is this is forecast to continue through Sunday. Maybe late to Q. Good news we have not lost power. We have gen just in case.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

See ya all in the spring.

Dick

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Cannot compete with those numbers! YIKES!!

We have had 42 and rain, and close to 0 with snow, all in last several days, now it is 32.2 and windy as all get out.

Our gravel road is a skating rink, the Red Wings could play out there, maybe Ice Capades show?? No plow seen today.

Mother Nature is dumping on a lot of the US for the holiday.

Be safe out there!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Toni,

I am so sorry to hear of your snowed in condition. You are just going to have to leave a bit earlier. It is always so hard to get away before Christmas but man O man that is tough weather conditions.

Best of luck and we won't get started in Q until you folks show up!

See you soon.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Ditto to what Carol said. We live in Michigan also and weather has been bad. Hoping we can get out the first part of January.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Dennis, Sharon and Jennifer

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
WOW Dick and Toni, I agree with Dennis - we'll wait for you to start Quartzite!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Dick & Toni, we feel your pain. Here in the Spokane area we had a new record last week for the most snow fall in one day - 24"; new record for most snow fall in month of December and close to the 2nd highest amount of snow on the ground on Christmas day - 39". The only saving grace is that we a have not been snowed-in. In spite of being snowed-in, I bet you have the BEST picture-perfect winter scenery.
to
You and All our MOC Friends
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The ony white stuff we see are the white lawn chairs around the palm trees. Our number one son in Northern Ohio tells me his car is still frozen to the driveway. Only in the 70's today here near Disney. This is what we worked all those years for.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It's strange. I lived in Alaska for 14 years and was never totally snowed in. Maybe because we expected it and took precautions, like blowing the snow away DURING s storm so it would not accumulate so much. I can honestly say we were never so snowed in that we could not drive somewhere, (4X4 of course). I often said that the northern tier states got worse weather than we did in Anchorage. Sure we had some bad days, but overall I truly believed that.

Being a fulltimer definitely has its advantages, being able to avoid the snow is just one of them. I'm not trying to rub it in, but wish everyone could do the same. Rich is right when he says this is what we worked for all those years. Of course, not everyone dreams of being a fulltimer, nor would they give up their stick home. I surely see their point of view also. Sometimes I wish I had a stick home to return to and will again some day. For now, we are happy and content to travel the highways and biways so see this beautiful country and meet new friends.

Happy travels to all.......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Phil, We could get out if we had to. But I cannot tow, so I'm snowed in as in trying to head south. With the tractor we have stayed ahead of deep stuff in the drive. The neighbors are not so lucky, rescued one today. I know you and Richfaa are haveing fun with me about your warm wx. Take care.

Dick

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

It's strange. I lived in Alaska for 14 years and was never totally snowed in...................

Happy travels to all.......

Phil
Phil,you're right. I lived in Alaska, Colorado and Lake Tahoe, California. Alaska has cold weather, lots of ice and very little snow. Colorado has cold weather, medium amounts of snow, where Lake Tahoe has lots of snow and lots of warm weather.

Living in Lake Tahoe was the biggest challenge. Once, in a 3-day storm we received over 13 feet of snow! And on the 4th day it was 50*.....talk about shoveling heavy snow. I remember standing on the roof peak and running out of places to throw the snow.

Everyone in Alaska has a right to complain about the cold weather, and the lack of light in the winter, but not the amount of snow.

As fulltimers, we can do a good job of avoiding inclement weather.

Dick, everyone knows that Quartzsite festivities just won't start until you get there!! We'll leave the light on for ya!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Gosh, I just wish all of you guys and gals would send any type of rain, sleet or snow to the Cental Texas area. We are in a severe drought. I am worried about my well going dry. We are 17 to 23 inches behind this year. Farmers are selling cattle in masses as they don't have any grass. Central Texans would love your misery right now. We even had a major hurricane come in and all the rain missed Austin. We had snow in Galveston, two inches, but Austin just had a dusting. So we are having the warmer temperatures and praying for rain, snow, sleet what ever. At this point I think we will take what we are given.

For those headed south for the winter, stay safe getting down to the lower states.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Colleen,

We were in Round Rock today, and it rained real hard for just a few minutes....think your prayer was sorta answered.

Keep it up!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We remember your long driveway Dick an Toni. Sure would hate to see the Montana stuck on it but as someone else mentioned, it must be a beautiful winter wonderland at your place. I'm not going to even mention the fact that Bill and I spent Christmas day at the beach. Drive safe

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
Dennis Korchak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2419
Dick 3', WOW, we thought we had a lot of snow in Silverdale at 12". The snow is finally going away here, so we are going to head South on our way to Quartzsite on Thursday Jan 1. Looks like a good window for crossing the Siskiyous. Hope to see you at Qsite.
Dennis Korchak is offline   Reply With Quote