Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Ok all you other farm guys...Help!

I am thinking of replacing my pickups dually bed with a flatbed. I need to be able to haul more than one bale of hay in one trip. So have any of you farm guys went for a flat utility bed on your truck? If so which one?

I don't have to worry about the trailer hitch because I have the B&W gooseneck and Companion Hitch.

Thanks in Advance!
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I suggest you check with your DMV with reference to licensing. My brother-in-law had a flat bed on his and had to register it as commercial and more cost. This was in N.Y.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Phil-- Check on line for Omaha Standard truck beds! They were made here in Omaha but now are made and installed in Council Bluffs, IA just across the river. Check with them! They make a really good truck bed!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Right there in your own state Phil.

Bramco Inc in Fairview OK. I use them, sell them, install them, and wouldn't even consider another brand. You can get them in several styles, with multiple options, and price ranges. They will also install them while you wait, if you don't mind waiting about 1/2 day. Farm use requires no commercial registration in Oklahoma.

www.bramcoinc.com

Talk to Bill, he's the owner and most knowledgable, but if he's not there Gary can answer your questions too. They are very nice people, and very easy to deal with. Tell 'em Lonnie at Tire Country sent you, it may or may not get you a better deal .

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Here are a couple of pictures of the one that I had on my current pickup, and the pickup before this one. The only reason it isn't still on my pickup, is because I needed another service truck for the tire store, and mounting my flatbed on another pickup was the fastest way I could get one.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=spun1y&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vtbalu&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e6e9ao&s=4
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We use a 5th wheel flat deck trailer, ours is 24', but you can pick the size that suits your needs. We usually haul 11 bales at a time. Whenever we change the TV we don't have to change out the flat deck box just switch over the hitch which we have to do for the Monty anyway.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
They are not cheap, but DoEaze (Sic) makes hydraulic units that will load, unload, and unroll two bales (carry two-at a-time, work one-at-a-time). They are fairly common here in western Missouri and well thought of. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
http://www.herrinhauler.com/ Right out of East TX.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am thinking of a "dew eze" bed. I would like to purchase one from the company you suggested Lonnie because they are just an hour from me and I like to support our local business in North Western Oklahoma. Unfortunately they only offer a bale spike.
Maybe I can convince dad to get rid of the cattle in a month or so and I won't have to worry about this situation any more.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Not having our horses anymore and not having bought any hay in quite some time, I am curious>

Just how big are these bales???
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #11
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I use just the regular round Bermuda round bales. Most of mine are the same size as a round bale in 1980. I am too low tech to have a new large square baler. I did chuckle last week when I stopped at the feed store and they had a "new" size round bale which is half the size of a regular round bale for the price of a regular. Remember when farming was simple? I miss those days. To answer your question they are probably 800 pounds each. I did buy some last year that were around 1200 pounds.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #12
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Each year we have to purchase additional hay on top of what we produce. Two years ago we bought 1200 lb. average bales for $25.00 Canadian, last year we paid $33.00,and this year we just finished paying $38.00. Guess it's time to get sell our small cattle herd (just a hobby?) and spend more time in the Montana!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #13
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
To re-visit the dew-eze thing, I have seen them with the un-roller arms. They can be used to lift the first bale and then use the spike to lift the 2nd bale. And for DarMar, I sold out last year. I still have my Vermeer 5400 baler. It does the smaller 5' X 4' bale that averages 900# doing mixed grass. Anybody want a good baler? Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Each year we have to purchase additional hay on top of what we produce. Two years ago we bought 1200 lb. average bales for $25.00 Canadian, last year we paid $33.00,and this year we just finished paying $38.00. Guess it's time to get sell our small cattle herd (just a hobby?) and spend more time in the Montana!
That's not too bad in my mind. I was paying about $70 (US) a ton back in the 80's. Then we got to load it up in the barn and everyone suddenly got allergic to hay when it was time to load!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ok guys-- Tell me how the flatbed units and the pickup units work to get the first bale onto/into the bed? I don't see any way of those forks going all the way up and flipping the bail back onto the bed! I can see one being carried on the forks which we do with the tractor (if two-- one on front forks and one on rear fork) but no way of getting that first bail up on to the bed. Am I missing something? We (I say we because I help my brother out) put up about 450-500 acres of hay and we use the forks on the tractors and a self loading bail loader pulled behind the tractor to move most of ours off the fields. Our bales are both alfalfa and natural prairie hay and the bales weigh from 1500 to 1800 lb most of the time. They are the large rounds also. What am I missing on these flatbed units with the forks?
Phil-- It might be cheaper for you to purchase a bail trailer if you already own the tractor w/ forks to load and download the bales. My brother has the self loader and also a tow behind trailer that holds 6 bales. The self loader has to have the tractor because of the hydraulics but the other tow behind doesn't and he tows it with his pickup. I happen to know a guy that might make you a really good deal on one if you ask him right! Or he might even be able to find you one since he works as a salesman for an implement dealer here! Let me know if you are interested in either! Nothing goes into my pocket-- just trying to help out a fellow MOCr and fellow farm boy!! You can PM me or email me if you like instead of putting it on this thread!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
DewEze has a nice promotional video on youtube. It demonstrates how the first bale is lifted with the arms then they back and load the second bale. I was impressed.

Rhondo I have the round bale hay trailer but I am only moving my bales from the edge of the field into the pasture which is about 1/3 of a mile. I can get 6 bales moved in 30 minutes it would just be nice to cut down on time now that the days are so short. The engine in my 4020 threw a rod last month so I am now moving with the old farm truck. I am just thinking ahead in case I end up keeping some of the cattle through the winter.

On another note. I did take the truck to town and weigh today while loaded. My bales are a little over 1200 pounds.

I am going to take a couple of pictures of some other hydraulic lifts I have and see if you have any ideas. My dad had purchased a lot of equipment before he became ill and no longer able to mess around the farm. A whole generation is gone and now I am trying to figure out what to do with some of this stuff. I think I may make a custom bed with some pretty cool stuff. He had a flat bed on one of the old late 70's chevy trucks which I can make soem fun modifications to.

Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming!
Phil