Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Locked out of Montana

Wayne mentioned his bad luck in fishing. We just had bad luck trying to get in to "nest" after working a long day at work. Walked in the Monty - went back out to get more stuff from the car and went to get back into the trailer and guess what - trailer door locked - with car keys AND trailer keys inside. And of course the cell phone. Talk about a bummer of an evening. And of course it is raining and cold. The good news is we found out there is no way to break into our trailer or so it seemed without wanting to do any damage. The bad news is we found out there is no way to break into our trailer without doing any damage. We managed to get in but anyone have suggestions where they hide their alternate key? Orrrr, how the trailer locked after we had unlocked it? We are in now and it is warm in here but AGH!!!! it was frustrating. Luckily we have a dealer that was 20 minutes away - borrowed a phone and had a friend get a master key from the dealer -- American RV in Grand Rapids -- and bring it out to us. Whew! They were life savers tonight!!! Cyndie

Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure what model you have, but ours has always been pretty easy to get in through the laundry chute, providing nobody left the bathroom door open. The outside cabinets open effortlessly with a screwdriver (pry up to release the catch on the lock). Of course that isn't always the answer if its pouring rain either, especially if you have to pull stuff out of the basement to get to the laundry chute.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When on the road, we keep and extra set of Montana keys in the TRUCK and an extra set of truck keys in the MONTANA. And, an extra set of both in the safe under the bed.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
No laundry chute in the 3665RE. Wayne has already placed a spare key in the car (problem will be remembering where he put it...billfold has been missing for 2 days...) but has anyone else had the problem with the door locking A F T E R unlocking it with the key? We both swear we were not the one to relock it....Something we're missing??? Cyndie
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Wschep, sent you a PM (Private Message).
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I wondered about that - (laundry chute). At one time they all had it, but I don't like to make global assumptions about the new ones.

I locked myself out and figured it out like this - The latch, not the deadbolt, will open from the inside even if it is locked with the key, and it will stay locked. Technically, if you are in the trailer, you used a key to get in and the latch is unlocked, however we managed to get in the trailer with it locked. Dory had unlocked the door and ran inside leaving the key in the lock. I followed, removed the keys accidently turning the key to lock. I threw the keys on the desk and we both went out on the patio, slamming the door behind us. Next thing I know, she's pushing my butt through the laundry chute to get the door open.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When you say locked out I am guessing the "flip" handle was locked. I never lock that because the dealers have master keys that can unlock it. I only lock the dead bolt which is key specific and I believe 1 out of 21 keys made.
Glad you got in.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wsched, check the screws on the inside of the door around the lock. They can loosen up and if the lock is a bit loose it can "lock" you in, or out. One sign is if the door is getting hard to open from both sides then the lock is probably getting loose. Just take a phillips head screwdriver and snug the screws, if they need to be tightened more than a half turn then they were too loose. Ours have been 4 or to 5 full turns out. I will still keep checking then until I can get a hold of some blue locktite. If they are loose take the inside of the lock off and lube the mechanism. This also helps keep things working smoothly. Good Luck... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I am wondering.......just exactly how many of us can fit thru that laundry shute?????? ....not me..nor my DW,,,oooops...gotta go.
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Extra keys in the truck-which is fine if you don't inadvertently lock the truck with the keys inside.

I pulled this stupid trick after driving into a dealer for an oil change. Luckily I had a new key made which now resides in a magnetic holder somewhere on the truck.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also keep an extra set of keys in the truck. But the truck does have a keypad entry on the door so we can always get in (unless of course the battery is dead).
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I'm w/John Kohl on this one...door handle in the locked position. Door slams and you're out! Happened to a SOB in UT, but my key opened his door handle. May work in the future? Worth a try. Deadbolt will not lock behind you. You might try the handle deal some time w/another RVer, just to see?
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
i bought a lock that has a locking compartment. you lock the lock in your choice of a hiding spot with all keys you may need in it. then if you need keys just open the compartment with the 4 number combination on the outside. compartment opens and lock stays locked. lock can only be removed if compartment door is opened and inside tab pushed. works great
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, I also don't know what model you have but I'm assuming it's within 3 or 4 years and the lock was the latch lock and not the dead bolt, because the dead bolt requires a physical turn to engage.

So, with that said, walk around the park and find another Montana. Ask the owner if you can borrow him and his keys. His latch key will unlock your door.

I showed that to Harry of Ruth and Harry when were were in Memphis. Only the Dead bolt, as H.John stated is key specific - or nearly so. To bad you didn't have the laundry shoot as then you could have borrowed any ones keys and unlocked the basement with their CH751 key. No need for screwdrivers.

And, if the bathroom door is open to block access through the shoot, just take a stick and close it than raise the shoot fully.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote