Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
2011 Montana repair list as of March 2018

2011 Montana repair list as of 3/25/2018
Vertical panel separating front closet from laundry/storage cabinet separated from shelves in storage side - Glued and screwed panel to shelves.
Rear stabilizer motor - internal armature brush springs disintegrated from rain water thrown from tires while driving. Rebuilt and properly sealed.
Replaced waste valves on forward tanks - Valve cables were originally routed in a tight bend. Open/close operation became almost inoperable over time. Re-routed new cables so all gradual bends. Can now open/close with one or two fingers.
Hot water tank electrical connections burnt to a crisp - Mar connectors inside junction box on side of tank disintegrated from poor connection and resultant hot spot. Cleaned and properly re-connected.
Computer desk drawer glider rails broke away from frame - repaired.
Under love seat storage drawer glider rails and drawer latch broke - replaced with stronger rails. Couldn't source latch so using strap during travel to hold drawer closed.
Paint on 10" I-beam frame under trailer and metal panel under forward storage compartment flaking off - removed flaking paint and extensive rust. Primed with red oxide primer and finished with Rust-Oleum Farm and Implement paint.
Lost forward roof vent cap - Removed and replaced both front and back vent assemblies with new.
Bathroom tub cracked - Ordered new tub. Had to remove vanity, glass enclosure and wall surround to replace tub.
Rear dual pane window lost seal - Glass inside had become etched and had to be replaced.
Computer desk lamination joint separated - repaired with under side metal plates.

All things considered, our Montana has taken good care of us during our travels. Who knows what repairs will be needed going forward. I've been looking at new trailers and wonder if I want to start this process all over again. Keystone or Heartland or ???? Who builds the most reliable fifth wheels?

drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Never ending process on repairs, especially on one that is 7 years old. I guess it's better than home repairs in a S&B!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
True Rondo. Even high end Fivers have problems. Friends of ours that are full timers have a M.S. fiver with never lube axles. One of the axle spindles snapped off while driving an Interstate. Seven weeks in a motel before the right axle arrived and got installed. All of my repairs combined don't equal the inconvenience of that one event.
All the tire failures we've read about, each causing thousands of dollars in repairs.
We have been fortunate.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Repair list on my 2007 bought new July 2007.
Conv/microwave failed and replaced
No name surround sound system failed and replaced with name brand blu ray
Hydraulic pump auto reset circuit breaker failed and replaced with higher amp
Black tank flush antisiphon valve failed and eliminated
Front and rear decals replaced at 7 yrs

Not bad for 11 years. I also wonder about newer models.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote